05 Honda accord morning noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 05 Accord V6 with 100K. Runs great, however, in the morning when cold it has a clicking/tapping sound under the hood. It goes away after about 10 minutes but am curious what it could be.

Over the phone a Honda service writer said it "could be an injector or valve needing adjustment, but valve adjustments are rare these days for that car".

Any advice?

My first guess would be valve adjustment. I had mine adjusted around 110k. I have the 2.4L. I was told the same thing that they rarely need valve adjustments.

My first thought would be to run a bottle of Techron Complete Fuel System Cleaner in your next fillup with gas. This would stop any noise from a sticking fuel injector. This is available at Walmart, Autozone, Advance Auto parts or many others. Give it a try. For $5.00 you can't go wrong. FWIW--Oldtommy

I had the same issue, I posted about it a while back. I thought it was piston slap due to high mileage and cold weather but some troubleshooting and dirt/stain tracing led me to the hydraulic timing belt tensioner. Don't milk it for long, bad things happen. I bit the bullet and replaced the tensioner, belt, idler, and water pump. It was due pretty soon anyway and wife's Accord is back to normal.

Check if it's coming from around your brake booster area near the firewall. If so , report back. I might have a clue what it is .....

Our 2003 Accord V6 has some mean piston slap when cold. At first, I thought ours was the lone loud Honda V6, but now that I pay attention, I hear lots of Pilots and Accords with the same piston slap. Ours has been doing it for about 3 or 4 years now. At first it was only in the winter, but the temperature threshold when it happens has been raising slowly.

I have an 03 CRV with the 2.4. When I used Mobil 1, the valvetrain clattered like an old sewing machine. I used every other big name synthetic out there, even Mobil 1 EP, and never had vavletrain clatter again.

make sure a spark plug did not come loose. It is common on this engine at this mileage. Could be either loose plug or excessive valve clearance.

Last edited:
I had the timing belt and water pump replaced as well as the spark plugs 10k ago. Not sure if that means anything

- Oil weight and brand?
- Oil filter brand?
- How long since last oil change?
- How long has the noise been going on?
- If recent has it been colder than usual there recently?

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
- Oil weight and brand?[b] 5w20 PU[/b]
- Oil filter brand? Mobil1
- How long since last oil change? 500 miles/change every 4k
- How long has the noise been going on? about 5k
- If recent has it been colder than usual there recently?
No

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kenpoed
- Oil weight and brand? 5w20 PU
- If recent has it been colder than usual there recently No

- Is the the first OCI with PU?
- If yes was the switch to resolve noise/cleanup?
- If yes what was prior oil barand/weight?

- Oil weight and brand? 5w20 PU
- If recent has it been colder than usual there recently No

- Is the the first OCI with PU? No
- If yes was the switch to resolve noise/cleanup? no
- What was prior oil?
PU and Mobil one synth

Last edited:
I had the timing belt and water pump replaced as well as the spark plugs 10k ago. Not sure if that means anything

installation error or bad parts? it is possible that new parts are bad or installed wrong.

Did the noise coincide with these repairs or thousands of miles later?

Whelp... If I heard that noise directly after a timing belt I'd say its off a tooth. But your not sure so...I don't think its the cause, but I would try a different oil filter, its the cheapest thing to rule out. Then have the timing and valve clearance checked at same time....then move on to less obvious things like pickup screen/oil pressure issues, dirty valves, other things mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back