whats your oil filter of choice and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fram ULTRA....because it is a long OCI filter...uses double-backed synthetic media....very well built....excellent efficiency....can be used for two OCI's (2 X 7500K)....as well as being reasonably priced at WM ($8.97). This filter is hard to beat, especially at this price.

BTW....this is the only Fram I would ever use.

Second choice....Purolator PureOne.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Fram ULTRA....because it is a long OCI filter...uses double-backed synthetic media....very well built....excellent efficiency....can be used for two OCI's (2 X 7500K)....as well as being reasonably priced at WM ($8.97). This filter is hard to beat, especially at this price.

I like your whole response, except the "can be used for two OCI's" part. Why filter clean oil through a dirty filter? I know, the oil will get dirty again, but isn't a new filter for $8.97 cheap insurance?
Let the bashing begin!
27.gif
06.gif
09.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter

I like your whole response, except the "can be used for two OCI's" part. Why filter clean oil through a dirty filter? I know, the oil will get dirty again, but isn't a new filter for $8.97 cheap insurance?
Let the bashing begin!
27.gif
06.gif
09.gif

User's preference if they want to run one filter for 2 OCIs. Honda recommends it in certain driving conditions ... I'm sure they wouldn't recommend using an oil filter for 2 OCIs if it was detrimental to the engine.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Let the bashing begin!
27.gif
06.gif
09.gif

User's preference if they want to run one filter for 2 OCIs. Honda recommends it in certain driving conditions ... I'm sure they wouldn't recommend using an oil filter for 2 OCIs if it was detrimental to the engine.

While typing my post I had that "Honda recommends it" reply in the back of my mind, and it would come into play here somewhere.
grin.gif

But, you are correct; User's preference.
thumbsup2.gif

Baldwin for me. Made in USA. Heavier metal in can. You can order them through www.grainger.com. If there is one near you do a "will call" and save the shipping. I got the Baldwin B34 for $6.38 each. That is a Fram PH16 equivalent.

Mobil 1 EP, high efficiency with high capacity, enough to not require 3000 mile changes like some other high efficiency filters.

Napa gold. Because they go on sale for real cheap and made by wix. Fram extra guard or what's now called ultra are also a top notch product.
I buy long life filters so I can use them for multiple intervals. My Harley gets amsoil filters exclusively

Last edited:
Clevy said:
Fram extra guard or what's now called ultra are also a top notch product.

+1....FRAM ULTRA.....best bang for the buck in long OCI filters (up to 15K). I will use mine twice (2 X 7500) because I have a very clean engine, and filters work even better as they are used.

The ULTRA is well built, has two-tier synthetic media with wire mesh backing....very efficient ....and is only $8.97 at WM....a real bargain IMO.

The ULTRA is the only Fram I would ever consider using.

If your adverse to using a filter for two OCI's...you should consider the Purolator PureOne....another great filter for its price....and for OCI's up to 7500K.

and filters work even better as they are used.

REALLY? And you determined this "HOW?"

As the media starts to load up, some of the bigger holes fill up with debris and it becomes a better filter. Purolator told me via an email that with use, an oil filter does become slightly more efficient. I believe the efficiency spec you see advertised (ie, multi-pass efficiency test per ISO procedure) by the manufacturers is near the end of the life of the filter before the bypass valve starts to open.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

As the media starts to load up, some of the bigger holes fill up with debris and it becomes a better filter. Purolator told me via an email that with use, an oil filter does become slightly more efficient. I believe the efficiency spec you see advertised (ie, multi-pass efficiency test per ISO procedure) by the manufacturers is near the end of the life of the filter before the bypass valve starts to open.

Ok, I can see that happening. But, it still is somewhat skeptical. Are there any written test results out there that have determined this? If I am going to use a filter twice because someone "says" it gets better with use, I want to see proof, aka- test results.
21.gif

A few months back (as best I recall) there were several posts and possible articles.... by knowledgeable BITOG's.... stating that oil filters filter best after being on for 2 or 3K...and have some crud in them (assuming the filter is not clogged). The crud seems to help the filter to be more efficient.

The point being that those who do short OCI's (3k to 5k)...are not getting the maximum filtration if left on longer.

Need some help here....can anyone confirm the above?

If all of this is true, it could really turn the oil filter companies on its ear! Imagine how much money you can save not having to change an oil filter every change if you have a HUGE fleet of vehicles!

If all of this is true, it could really turn the oil filter companies on its ear! Imagine how much money you can save not having to change an oil filter every change if you have a HUGE fleet of vehicles!

Who knows....it may be the future.

Just think how many filter manufacturers have come out with long OC filters (Puro, Wix, Fram etc) in the last year or so.

Its the reason I'm committed to using the Fram ULTRA for two 7500 OCI's on my vehicle.

Who knows....it may be the future.

Just think how many filter manufacturers have come out with long OC filters (Puro, Wix, Fram etc) in the last year or so.

Its the reason I'm committed to using the Fram ULTRA for two 7500 OCI's on my vehicle.

I can respect your train of thought. But, until I see an actual test/tests resulting in the use of an oil filter that can be used twice is ok, I will continue to change mine at every OCI.
cool.gif

Nothing wrong with changing filters every OCI Blue, but even some auto manufacturers are recommending every other oil change, it's not witchcraft but it takes some getting used to the idea I know.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Nothing wrong with changing filters every OCI Blue, but even some auto manufacturers are recommending every other oil change, it's not witchcraft but it takes some getting used to the idea I know.

I understand, times change, things are made better, more efficient, aka progress. But, the only car maker that I am aware of that claims you can use an oil filter twice, is Honda. And, I only say this because I have seen it here on this forum. I have yet to see it written by Honda. So, you can see where I am still going with this.
smile.gif

There is an efficiency test on air filter, it filters more efficient after 10-20k miles, until it is clogged with debris after 50-60k miles. Oil filter and any other filter behaves similar.

Still filter companies want drivers to change air filter every 12k miles, so they can sell more and get better profit.

Ok, maybe this will get my point across a little better. Here is an ACTUAL product being TESTED in the modern world to show how it has been proven to work that way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klcBRnyCSvo&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aiLhfAFhkvs
Find me a test that shows using an oil filter twice is as good to use or recommended at each OCI.
Make a believer out of me,that's all I ask. Simple enough.
On the 2nd video, EVERYONE needs to pay close attention to the last minute of what he is saying!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back