04 explorer gear oil. how do you change it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
20130206_132900_zps0eb5c6de.jpg

So heres a pic of the differential cover on my explorer. I have never messed with it before but it looks like the 3/8s plug is to fill and the 3/4 plug is to drain. The thing that makes me second guess is that the smaller plug is pretty low. Doesn't look like it will hold much fluid.

Anyone experienced with these? Am I right about the plugs?

I had a 2002 ranger.
It had the 28spline 8.8 axle and
there was a fill plug on the backside of the differential
(ie somewhere near where the driveshaft connects?

the front had no drain plug only a fill plug in nearly the same place also.

That might be an aftermarket cover.. not really familiar with what came stock on exploders.

Your guess is good. Best next step is to remove the top plug and stick your finger in to see if the oil is filled to nearly that level.

You'd hate to drain it and find you can't get it back in.

Yeah my truck is like that. You pull the cover to drain and then fill it from the front.

But this is independent rear suspension. And the axle seals are evidently bad about leaking. Last time I had it changed the dealer replaced the seals too.

Seems like the whole thing is a pita

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Your guess is good. Best next step is to remove the top plug and stick your finger in to see if the oil is filled to nearly that level.

Thanx! Thats what I needed to know. Im curious to see if its still full or if it started leaking again. But I would hate to pull a plug and loose all my fluid. Lol.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Thanks again. I pulled the top plug and a little fluid ran out because my driveway has a slight incline. The fluid was clear and its full so I guess its good.

From the FSM

Fluid Check

NOTE: If friction modifier is required, install modifier before lubricant.

NOTE: If fluid is required, replace the original FEHP lubricant with 75W-140. Remove the old tag and install a new tag.

NOTE: When the fill plug is removed, up to one pint will drain from the filler opening.

Remove the fill plug.
Fluid Drain and Fill

Remove the axle drain plug.
Install the drain plug and tighten the drain plug to 34 Nm (25 lb-ft).
Fill the axle to the bottom of the fill plug hole.
Install the fill plug and tighten the fill plug to 34 Nm (25 lb-ft).
Remove the rear wheel speed sensor.
Disconnect the rear wheel speed sensor electrical connector.
Remove the bolt.
Remove the rear wheel speed sensor.

Add one pint of fluid.
Install the ABS sensor.

Same diff on my Mountaineer. I recall it takes just under 1.5 quarts to refill. Total capacity of the diff is 1.8 quarts, but with the drain plug not all of it comes out.

I intentionally raised the front up when draining the rear diff and I still couldn't get more than 1.5 quarts back in, FWIW. I didn't think it was necessary to remove the cover just for that last little bit.

If you don't have a 3/4 ratchet, HF has a set of adapters that has a 1/2 female x 3/4 male in it.

Last edited:
Wow so you fill it up and then add another half qt? I guess if its too much the rear end will blow out what it doesn't need out of the breather hose right?

Whats the deal with the new fluid and higher fill? Are they trying to prevent a problem?

I didn't let much run out before I turned the plug back in. Maybe a couple spoon fulls.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Same diff on my Mountaineer. I recall it takes just under 1.5 quarts to refill. Total capacity of the diff is 1.8 quarts, but with the drain plug not all of it comes out.

I intentionally raised the front up when draining the rear diff and I still couldn't get more than 1.5 quarts back in, FWIW. I didn't think it was necessary to remove the cover just for that last little bit.

If you don't have a 3/4 ratchet, HF has a set of adapters that has a 1/2 female x 3/4 male in it.

When the dealer did it, they charged me for 3 qts. So im guessing it held 2 1/2 unless they just wanted to run the bill up. It was $300 for the seals and fluid change...

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

When the dealer did it, they charged me for 3 qts. So im guessing it held 2 1/2 unless they just wanted to run the bill up. It was $300 for the seals and fluid change...

Amsoil's website says your diff holds 5.5 pints, or 2.75 quarts so no stealership tactics here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back