Thickest weight oil you used

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used GTX 20W-50 in our last old Mercedes 201 summers and PYB 10W-40 winters.
These grades were within the OM recommendations for the ambient temperatures encountered.
I've used M1 15W-50 in my old BMW.
I now use Maxlife 10W-40.
The OM recommends a 20W-50 for summer use, although that probably isn't really necessary.
I also ran a number of changes in various cars using Syntec 5W-50.
I was fond of thick grades when we had our last Civic, an '86 wagon.
I rarely used anything thinner than 10W-40 in it, and there are some runs of M1 15W-50 in its log.
In its final 60K or so, I used it as a commuter, and it would often see 40 mpg on a tank, even running fairly thick oil.

I've used 20W-50, 5w-50, 15w-50 (m1), 15W-40 and 10W-40. My first real car (an 88' Mercury Tracer 1.6L) actually "preferred" 10W-40 and said 20W-50 was perfectly fine in the summer...

Originally Posted By: DavidZ28
Back in the mid 90's I had a '90 Cavalier 2.2L/5spd and was using Castrol 5W50 full synthetic. Still managed to get 38 mpg on a trip from Atlanta to Orlando in the summer of '95. Yes I know, what was I thinking!!

Yeah, I once got 35mpg in an 87' Accord running Mobil 1 15W-50...

20W-50 Amoco Ultimate in my 89 Accord. It was on clearance at Target and I spoke with the manager about marking it down even further if I would buy the remaining inventory.

Since I lived in Corpus Christi during the time I used it I doubt it was too much of an issue since it never got cold there and my car was garaged at night. I was still on 7K OCI's back then before gaining the "courage" to increased to 10K. (I was one of those 3K oil change fanatics in the 80's.)

I switched back to 10W-30 after that with seemingly no ill effects, but I would not use that heavy an oil again. Castrol did a good sell job in the 80's with 20W-50 oil as being needed for higher RPM, "harder working" four cylinder engines. Lots of people used Castrol GTX 20W-50 in the 80's.

At the Walmart in Azusa today they were selling Supertech 20W-50, and if you stick to the coastal plain only in Southern California you can use that, no problem. Go to the desert, the mountains, or Nevada in winter, and you might not be able to start your engine.

In summer in all these places it would be good.

I used 10w40 in my mini bike and 10w30 in my truck, thats the extent of my excitment
smile.gif

Straight 70 weight in a Merkur XR4Ti that had a hole in the block so it wouldn't hold water. Hoped it would it make it through an auction with no water without seizing the engine. It did and sold for $400 so I didn't loose any money but had to wait until the spring to sell because it wouldn't turn over fast enough to start below 60F.

And you are somehow proud enough of that to post it publicly?

Bad seller, you're one of the folks we run off at the auction down here!

When I was in high school, one of my classmates owned this smoker that had worn-out rings. To sell it, he jammed a couple of pounds of rotten peeled bananas down into the crankcase to clog stuff up and make it smoke less.

The guy he sold it to later showed up and gave him a good pounding.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
And you are somehow proud enough of that to post it publicly?

Bad seller, you're one of the folks we run off at the auction down here!

Just replying to the topic, and besides the fact that was over 10 years ago and I would have gotten more today at the crusher for it, I bought it at auction and sold it at auction. Don't go outta my way to screw anyone but nobody showed any sympathy when I bought it and got screwed. That's just the chance you take buying at such a venue. It was a dang nice car otherwise and the buyer didn't get hurt.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
In initial fills, thickest I've used is 10W-30.

....however, I've topped-off often with 10W-40, 20W-50, STP....

Back in 2003-2006, when I was driving my 1979 Ford Courier with the Mazda 2.0, I was topping her off with Penzoil GT Performance 60,...she still burned a quart every 50 miles regardless of what You put in her for the most part. Actually a mix of 2 Cans of GoodOl Bardalls #1 with 3 quarts of Accel ND30 seemed to be the best for less oil burning and performance.

I used straight 50wt in a road racing Camaro. I remember starting it one cold October morning (early 80's) at Road Atlanta and only having 10 lbs of oil pressure. Took about 5 minutes running to get over 30 lbs. I had to replace the cam every year (roller cam) until I switched to 20W-50 and the problems disappeared.

20W-50 and a can of STP was my regular OCI for a decade.

Have used 30W-70, 40W-70, and most recently (posted here) a 25W-70 through winter to prove that it wouldn't blow up my J-Car.

Not saying that I'd never use a 50 again, but 40s work for me these days.

20w-50 on a '61 VW Bug with a 1776cc motor, based on the previous owner's recommendation. The thing still burned oil like crazy! It would leave behind a plume of smoke when I really got on the throttle and there was the nastiest black buildup on the rear fender right above the exhaust tip. I ran it completely dry at least once (oops!), which probably didn't help things much.

Automobiles only, right?

Straight 40 weight in Jaguar AJ6's many times, just because I had it and needed to use it.

20w50 and 15w50 many times, well into the 21st century.

As much as we fuss about oil, most engines, at least the ones I've owned, are remarkably indifferent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back