Thickest weight oil you used

Status
Not open for further replies.
My buddies and I used to be diehard 20w50 guys. I think we put it in every vehicle and other engine powered stuff. Never had a issue maybe some extra noise in the winter on start up but that's it. It wasn't till I started reading on BITOG that I begin to use 5w30's and 1 0w30's oil in anything. Now I like the thin is better mentality, especially if it saves even a little fuel in my cars.

20-50 WAY back in the day before i knew better. The stuff was like thick soup in the winter and would trip the filter bypass!! I also used to flush the motor at every oil change, drove the car like a rented mule, but the good old girl stood up to the punishment.

Originally Posted By: uart
25W70 in an old (1975) VW Passat.

I didn't even have to look at the signature line to know where he's from!

20w50 Cam2 in the V8 Vega that my brother and I built when we were in high school. Hey, we were very young, and all caught up in the "raciness" of it all.

5w50 Castrol Syntec (when it first came out) in my Corvette for one season of tracking. I stopped using it when I saw the piston undercrown deposits it was causing.

mobil 1 15w/50 in a 86 nissan truck 2.4 litre, 7500 oci for 80000 miles lol- still ran great when i sold it. in 1986, i thought knew more than everyone else. i beleive the engine called for 10w/30.

Last edited:
In the early 60s I used 10-40QS and it sludged my engine badly. I then switched to Straight 20wt Valvoline HD and it was greatly improved. After that I went with M1 5-20 in 78.

An oil-burning 22re in the family ran 20W-50 and had so much Lucas oil additive in it (back before we knew better) I can only speculate the actual weight.

I ran some 20w50 in my 99 Astro van years ago before I knew any better, it used a little oil after about 60k which at the time I thought was terrible. Don't remember the brand.

I tried 15w40 Delo in my Jeep but it was too thick, made it knock, so I had to drain a bit and add a quart of MMO for the rest of the OCI. It worked.

20-50 in various vehicles. We've since gone thin and almost all of our oil consumption and leaking problems have gone away.

I used Cam 2 Racing 20W-50 in everything (small engines as well) back in the 70's/early 80's, bought it by the case of 24. A little tough starting on a cold morning, had to heat it up on a wood stove when changing oil in the colder months too. Also had a high mileage 76 Chevette, used straight 40 and a can of STP in her to keep the engine quiet, had 180,000 and about 1/2" of clutch pedal in it when I sold it

Straight 40 and 20-50 in Chicago winters!
Because thicker is better...

[Most of us back then just didn't know. I wish I knew then what I know now!]

Back in the mid 90's I had a '90 Cavalier 2.2L/5spd and was using Castrol 5W50 full synthetic. Still managed to get 38 mpg on a trip from Atlanta to Orlando in the summer of '95. Yes I know, what was I thinking!!

20w-50 in some old Cadillacs and in my current Riviera. Also ran HD-40w in an old '77 malibu wagon as it was the cheapest oil I could find then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back