5W-30 vs. 5W-40 in a Kubota

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a BX-2660 tractor and RTV-1100, both have diesel engines, running ULSD and I live in NW Montana.

With all due respect, I do not want to start a "brand war" or a lot of re-hashing of synthetic vs. conventional oil, etc. I will be using synthetic oil in both so I'm just seeking some information and input from others here on the forum.

So, my question is, has anyone here tried both 5W-30 and 5w-40 and been able to notice any definitive difference(s)?

Thanks and best regards,
Phil

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I've never seen a 5w30 diesel oil. probly be ok where you are.
Ditto on the 5w30 not being diesel rated, especially now that API is phasing out the older C* spec licensing. FWIW I have a kubota diesel genny that gets fed rotella 5w40 with zero problems, any comparable 5w40 should do. Just make sure it's HDEO, there are a few 5w40 oils out there with just a gasoline rating in the starburst.

There are 5w-30 HDEOs, but you're going to have difficulty finding them. XOM got rid of their Esso XD-3 5w-30 a number of months back, and I suspect it's the same in the States.

What specifications do your Kubotas call for? Do they allow CJ-4, or do they specifically require an older specification only? I've seen some manuals actually prohibit anything newer than CI-4 or CI-4+ for some reason.

There are a few 0w-30 HDEOs out there, too. Petro-Canada has some older diesel specs on their 0w-30s (CH-4, I believe), while Mobil Delvac Elite 222 has the latest ones. There are also 0w-40 HDEOs available with the latest specifications.

Phil- Castrol Elixion 5W30 and Amsoil HDD 5W30 are the only two HDEO 5W30s left that I know of.

What API requirements for the tractors (i.e. API CI-4, CD, etc.) If these are really small diesels, you might look at some of the "Euro Spec" ACEA oils, many of which have diesel ratings and come in 0W30, 5W30, 0W40, ratings, etc.

Anyway, you are left with the various 5W40s out there.. readily available, or a 10W30 HDEO. The 10W30s, the T5 Rotella I'm thinking of, has approximately the same cold start performance as some of the group III 5W40s.

Any 5w-30 or 5w-40 HDEO will work fine where you are at.

But I would suggest you consider the "need" for syn's at all ...

I looked at the average weather data for your area in NOAAs database. I reviewed 10 years worth of data, looking at the two coldest months each year. Here is the weather.com review of your area: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USMT0188
While not detailed like the NOAA database I reviewed, it is an independent confirmation that my summation is correct.

Here is how your weather stacks up in Kalispell:
1) Your average low is +16 degF for Dec and Jan.
2) The standard deviation of data shows that you will see variance in 7 degree nodes, approximately.
3) Your area will only see temps below -10 once a year, as an avearge (some years more, some years less).
4) You will RARELY ever see anthing below -20F (as defined as once in only a few years or more).

Frankly, while it does get cold where you are at, it does not get so cold that syns are a necessity.

Believe it or not, that data shows that where you are at in Montanna (southwest of Glacier) is only two degrees colder on average than where I am an in central Indiana (my average low is +18 degF). We actually saw -34 degF here several years ago, but in no way is that "normal" for us. And it's not "normal" for you either. I survive just fine with conventional (dino) 10w-30 HDEO in my Duramax and my Kubota L3430GST, and I drive both frequently in winter. Never had a problem with cold starts; never had a problem with wear as verified by UOAs. In your area, which is VERY much similar to my area, a conventional 10w-30 HDEO would do the job more than sufficiently.

I suspect you believe you "need" synthetics, and I hope I've presented evidence that will persuade you to reconsider what is "needed" versus what is "wanted".

But, if you absolutely must have something "better", I would suggest you consider the Shell T5 in 10w-30. FYI, the T5 in 10w-30 has the same cold cranking rating as does the full syn T6 5w-40; both are well more than what you "need" for Kalispell and your surrounding areas. Depending upon your OCI plan, the T5 would do an excellent job, and is readily available through the Walmart in Kalispell, or in Polson should you run down that far. Recently it was on sale for $12.99 a gallon. You'll find it nearly impossible to beat that performance, for that price, with that kind of availability with any other product.

You can use some rare and expensive 5w-30 HDEO if you want to, but you don't need to.

Last edited:
Thank you for the info! I'm originally from western North Carolina and the winters out here - so far - haven't been any worse than I was used to back east. But I also know that can change very quickly!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back