2012 Subaru WRX- Oil/filter Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CSwrex
What about blends? I want engine protection while maximizing performance. I was thinking about doing a 50/50 blend of Amsoil HDD 5W-30 and Amsoil Signature 5W-30.

Now that I've pulled my foot out of my mouth, my suggestion would be along the lines of M1, PP, PU, or QSUD, whatever you can get cheapest and most readily. Or, if you like Amsoil, use whichever line has the API specification. I'd stick with 5w-30 called for under warranty, along with SN/GF-5.

I agree with the idea that you don't want to over-rule the engineers recommendations when it comes to engine oil and save the vehicle warranty. Stick with a 5w30 as recommended. I would also use the factory oil filters unless I could find an exact factory replacement with respect to bypass valve pressure etc. I run a Mazda CX7 turbo engine and have excellent 6,000 mile UOAs running Pennzoil Platinum in the 5w30 grade. This oil meets the Honda/Acra spec for their turbo engines. Ed

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
I use the Pure One 14460 on mine. It has the correct bypass pressure. PL14460

The Pure One doesn't have an anti-drainback valve.

The Wix 57712 has an anti-drainback valve and correct bypass pressure: Wix 57712

The Wix is a recent new offering, I haven't tried it yet.

One more thing, the larger the oil filter the lower the psid will be. The larger oil filter will flow more oil with less restriction.
The higher the pressure on the bypass, the less oil that gets to the engine when you have higher pressure on one side and lower on the other side of the oil filter.

ROD

Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
I use the Pure One 14460 on mine. It has the correct bypass pressure. PL14460
same one I use on my 09 wrx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back