Mobil 1 0W20 vs Toyota 0W20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just finished changing the oil on my wife's 2010 Prius. Since we bought it, I have used Mobil 1 0W20 in the car. In reading through some old threads, I found out that Toyota 0W20 is made by Esso (in Canada) and is economically priced. I called my Toyota dealer and they told me it is $5.17 per litre. I just bought two 4.4L jugs of Mobil 1 0W20 for about $36 a pop, which is more than $8 a litre.

I can't find any VOA specs or info about the Toyota 0W20? Does anyone know how it compares to Mobil 1? Should I save money and swtich to Toyota oil, or is it worth the extra cost for Mobil 1?

I could be wrong here, but for your car i think the Toyota oil is better. I do. I think it is very much thinner.

CATERHAM is the authority on both the Toyota and Honda 0W-20 oils. Have you checked out the Honda 0W-20 (Idemitsu) for the Prius as well?

What OCIs are you doing? One differance is that the Toyota oil is formulated to flow differantly at differant temps than the M1 oil. One question; How does the M1 0-20 perform in your Prius?

Thanks for the helpful posts! Does anyone no what the cold weather pumpability specs are for Toyota 0W20? Who is EOM?

I do live in northern Ontario, so it isn't uncommon to go below -20C, it's going down to -26C tonight. But, the Prius lives in a heated garage while my old truck sits out in the cold. It does sit outsite for 8-10 hours during the day though, but it's rare to have a day where it doesn't warm above -20.

The Prius seems to do okay on the Mobil 1. I haven't done a UOA, but I did noticed the fuel economy improved slightly over the 5W20 bulk oil the Toyota dealer was using (the previous owner always had the changes done at Toyota, and it was always 5W20 according the the service records). I am just doing 8,000 km intervals, because that's what Toyota specifies for Canada and I will follow their rules as long as the car is under warranty.

I have one more jug of Mobil 1, which I will use next oil change, but after than I may switch to Toyota.

Any other opinions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Hi Oldswagon.

EOM is the stock symbol for ExxonMobil.

M1 AFE 0W-20 has the lowest MRV spec' of any oil at 9,200cP @ -40 degrees.
I don't know exactly what the MRV is for the current EOM made Toyota Brand 0W-20 but it was 18,000cP for the original Nippon Oil made product so I'm assuming it's similar.
The thing is the Toyota 0W-20 is designed to be as light as possible at more typical start-up temp's and it that regard there isn't an oil made that's lighter.
At 0C the Toyota oil is 35% lighter than M1 and 25% at room temperature. So the question is, at what temp' does it lose it's cold flow advantage to M1? I don't know, but conservatively speaking it must be somewhere south (north?) of -20C and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not before -30C.

On the MSDS, Mobil 1 0w20 has a pour point of -54F. Toyota 0w20 -17F.

Originally Posted By: buster
On the MSDS, Mobil 1 0w20 has a pour point of -54F. Toyota 0w20 -17F. I just noticed this.

-17F not that impressive, is it correct? I hope this doesn't turn into another PU fiasco. LOL

Come on Buster, where did you get the -17F PP for the Toyota 0W-20 from? Even a 5W oil let alone a 0W oil can't have a PP that high.
BTW the more relavant MRV spec' for the original Toyota 0W-20 is 18,000cP; not great but not bad.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Come on Buster, where did you get the -17F PP for the Toyota 0W-20 from? Even a 5W oil let alone a 0W oil can't have a PP that high.
BTW the more relavant MRV spec' for the original Toyota 0W-20 is 18,000cP; not great but not bad.

That's the one thing that confuses me about the Toyota 0w20, if it's so much thinner than all other 0w20 at most temperatures that most people see on a daily basis, how come it's cold cranking specs aren't super impressive?

PPD's??? I don't know. Good question.

TGMO is good stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to use it at all. It's definitely not on the same quality level as M1 0w20 though. If anything, it's more on par with Mobil Super 0w20.

M1 0w20 uses the latest in additives/base oils. Super is on the same quality level as most other 0w20's found in the market. Super looks to be mostly Grp III.

http://www.mobil.us/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_engine-oil-faqs.aspx

Originally Posted By: Patman

That's the one thing that confuses me about the Toyota 0w20, if it's so much thinner than all other 0w20 at most temperatures that most people see on a daily basis, how come it's cold cranking specs aren't super impressive?

That has me scratching my head too.

Originally Posted By: Garak
He he, another fine catch. I've seen 20w-50s with better pour points, so that certainly cannot be right.

Exactly.
For any 0W oil the PP by defn has to be below -40 degrees.

The fact that TGMO 0W-20 is a 0W oil is incidental as it is not targeted at extreme cold performance but rather being as light as possible at more normal start-up temperatures.
In that regard I'm sure it contains no pour point suppressants.

It's the same with many 0W oils including M1 R 0W-30 and 0W-50. Do you think Mobil formulated their racing oils to perform at -40 degrees? Of course not. It's simply a consiquence of using high VI light base stock oils. Technically speaking if an oil meets the minimum 0W pumping spec's the formulator is supposed to label the oil as such.

The fact that TGMO 0W-20 is a 0W oil is incidental as it is not targeted at extreme cold performance but rather being as light as possible at more normal start-up temperatures.

It's the same with many 0W oils including M1 R 0W-30 and 0W-50. Do you think Mobil formulated their racing oils to perform at -40 degrees? Of course not. It's simply a consiquence of using high VI light base stock oils. Technically speaking if an oil meets the minimum 0W pumping spec's the formulator is supposed to label the oil as such.

I'm a little confused here. Edge with Titanium has a PP of -38°F, you mentioned below -40°F? or is it -40C? Either way Castrol Edge calls it a 0W20 oil, having the same PP as their 5W20. Thanks, I'm still confused by this, and Castrol's lousy PDS.

Boy did they destroy that oil with the move to API SM. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I'm a little confused here. Edge with Titanium has a PP of -38°F, you mentioned below -40°F? or is it -40C? Either way Castrol Edge calls it a 0W20 oil, having the same PP as their 5W20. Thanks, I'm still confused by this, and Castrol's lousy PDS.

Boy did they destroy that oil with the move to API SM. JMO

-40F is the same as-40C.

Hi Oldswagon.

EOM is the stock symbol for ExxonMobil.

M1 AFE 0W-20 has the lowest MRV spec' of any oil at 9,200cP @ -40 degrees.
I don't know exactly what the MRV is for the current EOM made Toyota Brand 0W-20 but it was 18,000cP for the original Nippon Oil made product so I'm assuming it's similar.
The thing is the Toyota 0W-20 is designed to be as light as possible at more typical start-up temp's and it that regard there isn't an oil made that's lighter.
At 0C the Toyota oil is 35% lighter than M1 and 25% at room temperature. So the question is, at what temp' does it lose it's cold flow advantage to M1? I don't know, but conservatively speaking it must be somewhere south (north?) of -20C and I wouldn't be surprised if it's not before -30C.

Actually the M1 0w-20 version sold in europe has a MRV spec of 5642cp @ -40 degrees. It and the M1 0w-30 FE are undergoing an update/reformulation and the MSDS:s have been unavailable for some time. Castrol probably raised the stakes with their new 0w-20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back