Bit to drill into fence pole

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can try this, or even use a handy-man jack if you don't have a lot of room.

t-post_pulling_chain_4x4.jpg

t-post_pulling_chain_wheel.jpg

Last edited:
Well I got all but two out. One is so entrained in the rots of a holly tree that I can't get it out. This will be trouble when we try to put in a split rail fence... not sure what to do, but it is what it is.

The other one that was very far away in the corner I tried the clove hitch. It grabbed, that's for sure. Ended up that the piece of concrete on that one (main end base for a chain link fence, so I guess it needs to be the sturdiest to have a solid, straight fence) was so large and so deep that the pipe ended shearing off. Didnt even bend with the hitch on there really low down!

If you can't get the chunks of concrete out, and are planning on putting up a new fence, you might be able to drill into the concrete, and drive some wedge anchor bolts. And attach some sort of a foot plate board to it. Then attach your fencing to that. I don't know if that would work or not. It just depends on your situation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bamboooo
If you can't get the chunks of concrete out, and are planning on putting up a new fence, you might be able to drill into the concrete, and drive some wedge anchor bolts. And attach some sort of a foot plate board to it. Then attach your fencing to that. I don't know if that would work or not. It just depends on your situation.

It's really just an aesthetic split rail type (actually round rail) fence. I think our path forward is to just move that post just inside of the current concrete spot, and then put some tall bush that will grow out to cover the spot where the concrete is. Its not like the fence is actually keeping anything in really, and it is the optimum spot to have a problem...

But Ill look into your solution, as then I may just cut off the post a bit and attach it to the concrete for strength. Ill have to think about that.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Use a Uni-bit or step bit and you won't have to change bits as much to do it.

big +1
Standard spiral drills tend to grab thin metal as they punch through. Uni-bit or step drills have more of a shaving action and don't grab as they punch through. They're much easier to control and you get a neater hole.

After the first try to open the whole using a uni bit, it didnt work again. Edge felt sharp as usual, but it would just spin in the hole.

Tested it on some wood and it cut fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back