P0330 knock sensor '97 Camry V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to help a fried get rid of a CEL, on a '97 Camry V6.

I ran the code, and it's P0330. I tried to erase the codes twice, but it comes back on after 5-10 min of driving.

The Haynes repair manual states it's either a bad knock sensor on bank 2, or the wiring from the ks to the ecm is bad. The ks is under the intake manifold, so the manifold has to be removed to test/change sensor.

Before we get into all that, I wanted to see if there were any other options that may be easier to remedy this.

The car doesn't run like it should, as I'm assuming it's in limp mode.

Many parts can be accessed from underneath.

I'd check the wiring first to the computer - a simply resistance check of the wire.
If good, it has to be the sensor.

I just did one of these jobs.
Replaced both sensors and knock sensor wire/pigtail.
You have to have a pretty darn good oscilloscope to check this properly. and you're already in there anyway.
Best to just replace the whole schebang and have the piece of mind about it.
So... 2 intake manifold gaskets, coolant, 2 knock sensors, knock sensor wire, tools, and patience.
The plenum gasket is MLS, and usually fine to re-use.

Thanks.

Sounds like it's going to be an expensive job. The knock sensor alone is $175 or so from dealer or local parts store. Rock auto has some for about $60, but I'm skeptical of that. Gaskets aren't cheap either.

So the wire goes from the k/s to where?

If you are not in a super hurry....you might try a dealership's online parts department...and save 30-40%.
One that I use because it has AWESOME parts diagrams and identifiers is toyotapartszone.
Another that I have visited is toyotaparts123.

My advice is to get the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) from the vehicle and enter it into the VIN field to do your parts lookup.
THIS will get you the listings that are correct for that particular vehicle, which is a MAJOR help in choosing the most correct part.

On the Toyotapartszone site, I did a lookup for 1997 camry with 1MZFE motor.....under Electrical--switch&relay-- I clicked the 1st of the illustration links at the top of the listing.....(Engine & Transmission) and the list of parts shows a list price of $189 for the knock sensor......they sell it for about $137

Originally Posted By: MarkM66
Thanks.

Sounds like it's going to be an expensive job. The knock sensor alone is $175 or so from dealer or local parts store. Rock auto has some for about $60, but I'm skeptical of that. Gaskets aren't cheap either.

So the wire goes from the k/s to where?

the computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back