Which oil with mmo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use a full quart of MMO with 10w40 oil.

All other fluids/filters/pcv/maintenance needs to be done. I'd definitely put in a new OE thermostat and fresh 50:50 antifreeze. You definitely want the engine warming up.

I wouldn't be driving it until you have a baseline on ALL maintenance.

Yeah I borrowed my girlfriends car again. I feel bad its a brand new nissan sentra, and I have doubled the miles on it. She put 1000 miles on in 6 weeks, and I put 1000 miles on it in 2 weeks. Shes such a sweat girl.

I'm putting a thermostat in it first thing in the morning.

I was doing some searching online, and it sounds like it could be valves needing adjustment, or a bad fuel injector. I can afford a valve adjustment, but can't afford a fuel injector unless I do it myself.

At idle it, how do I describe it, it hits a ruff spot and the engine shakes a bit more than usual every few seconds.

So I don't know. I'll have to play around with it. Going to throw some fuel injector cleaner, chevron with techron, in the tank. I have a class about 15-20 miles away tomorrow night. I'm going to take it there and see how it does.

Money is just really tight. I got in an accident due to a bridge that was covered in black ice. Had to borrow money just to get the truck. Tried to talk my Dad into giving me some money for a valve adjustment, but he didn't go for it. I'll talk to my folks again. He thought it had hydraulic self adjusting lifters, it doesn't. They didn't start doing that for a few more years apparently.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

Here's my proof, believe it if you like. My bother and I used MMO in countless 1 cyl 4 stroke engines pulled from the trash and brought them back to life over the years as well. Some smoked like mad. Some were beyond repair, others responded well to MMO, and some use, or a piston soak with MMO. I had good luck with a smoking engine with Lubro Moly too.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1941696

Thanks. Guess I'll try it in a boat engine next time.

Pretty much the same engine as in a light truck of that era tweaked to be used in Marine applications. Search the web there are other people who had similar results with increased compression from the addition of MMO. That's providing the rings were coked up and sticking. The point here is there's more than one product that can clean up ring packs.

Originally Posted By: giantjoebot
Yeah I borrowed my girlfriends car again. I feel bad its a brand new nissan sentra, and I have doubled the miles on it. She put 1000 miles on in 6 weeks, and I put 1000 miles on it in 2 weeks. Shes such a sweat girl.

I'm putting a thermostat in it first thing in the morning.

I was doing some searching online, and it sounds like it could be valves needing adjustment, or a bad fuel injector. I can afford a valve adjustment, but can't afford a fuel injector unless I do it myself.

At idle it, how do I describe it, it hits a ruff spot and the engine shakes a bit more than usual every few seconds.

So I don't know. I'll have to play around with it. Going to throw some fuel injector cleaner, chevron with techron, in the tank. I have a class about 15-20 miles away tomorrow night. I'm going to take it there and see how it does.

Money is just really tight. I got in an accident due to a bridge that was covered in black ice. Had to borrow money just to get the truck. Tried to talk my Dad into giving me some money for a valve adjustment, but he didn't go for it. I'll talk to my folks again. He thought it had hydraulic self adjusting lifters, it doesn't. They didn't start doing that for a few more years apparently.

Give MMO a little more time to do its cleaning. Also if the lifters are out of adjustment, you will have to deal with that. I'd also add some MMO to the gas while you're at it.

No edit button, guess you can't after so much time. Sorry for the double post

Switched out the thermostat, and there was little to no change. I think the gauge might be off, or the sensor, because the engine feels hot. Maybe I'll get a temp sensor gun, for $20-$40 and check it that way.

I think the stutter and tick is from a clogged fuel injector. So going to add some fuel injector cleaner and see how it goes

I had a ticking fuel injector before, but the vehicle was totaled shortly after before having a chance to address the problem. Sometimes, you have to remove and clean them professionally.

Originally Posted By: badtlc

Wow....just wow. At least you make it obvious you'll ignore whatever you need to in order to justify your opinion

We are all entitled to our opinion.

Quote:
Who the heck ignores 3rd party tests?

The problem is that 3rd party tests cannot be verified, just look at the thread that is called PAID POSTERS FOR AUTO-RX, I am still waiting to see a thread that is called PAID POSTERS FOR MMO.

Those are what people beg for (sane people anyway). [/quote

Your statement sounds like an ATTACK, or maybe you are just trying to scare members from trying MMO, why don't we just let members try whatever oil additive they want and then they can post there results.

My question is.....does MMO clean the ring packs and is it verifiable?

This is one of ARx's "claim to fame".

(Not advocating one product over the other)

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

I posted this a while back, here it is again FWIW.

Vintage 1970's Chevy 250 I-6 engine, which is worked hard. My brother ran a compression test over the winter, 5 of the 6 cylinders were reading ~ 150 lbs, cyl #4 was at 130, we had a slight miss at idle, plenty of power when running.

Fast forward to the beginning of the season. PYB straight 30 grade, 1 qt MMO, the miss got worse, we said screw it the engine is old we'll run it till we can get another engine. We ran the PYB MMO combo for 50 hours. Then my brother gets the bug to look further into it so we ran the compression test again. Much to our surprise the compression ranged from 150-152 lb per cylinder across the board. The weak cylinder came back to life.

The miss is still bad though? This engine uses a special intake exhaust manifold that looks like a big log and is a once piece unit. We went through everything, carb, points, plugs timing, and noticed each time it missed the vacuum gauge would pulse. So we decided maybe it is that intake/exhaust manifold gasket? We changed it and are pretty certain it was leaking exhaust into the intake.

Confusing? Yes, the boat is running perfect now!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1941533

I am just wondering why we have not seen any before of after pics of auto-rx actually cleaning up ring packs.

i can verify that MMO does clean stuck piston rings to a certain degree. if you do a piston soak (use the search button to find out what i mean) it allows straight MMO to seep past the stuck, gummy rings and loosen them up thus decreasing oil consumption and increasing compression. after you do that you can add 1/2-1qt of MMO to the oil as a constant maintenance dose/cleaner and after an oci or two you will likely see noticeable improvements. the 4cyl honda i did it one (which is now over 200k) burns considerably less oil and runs much better.

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan

I am just wondering why we have not seen any before of after pics of auto-rx actually cleaning up ring packs.

The only way to see that would be to tear down an engine. That is not something that the average guy trying to fix a car is willing to do. Which is why you won't see it with MMO or Kreen either.

I'm beginning to think you have no clue what you are posting about and just run around bashing ARX. If so, you are doing quite well at it.

Same reason we haven't seen any for say, kreen, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back