Returned Droid to Verizon. Not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the Droid 2 Global from Verizon for a few weeks. I posted on here about how it was heavy and overly complicated.I went to Verizon and because I was still in the 30 guarantee they took it back. I asked the woman if I was the first she said no we've had quite a number of them returned. I picked out a new Blackberry and was on my way in 40 minutes.Is the Blackberry as good a device as the Droid? No. But it is a much better phone. None of this ridiculous turning it on every time you use it, unlocking it etc. I saw a guy at Applebees last night 'wrestling' with his Droid to answer and make some calls. Poor fellow.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
I had the Droid 2 Global from Verizon for a few weeks. I posted on here about how it was heavy and overly complicated.I went to Verizon and because I was still in the 30 guarantee they took it back. I asked the woman if I was the first she said no we've had quite a number of them returned. I picked out a new Blackberry and was on my way in 40 minutes.Is the Blackberry as good a device as the Droid? No. But it is a much better phone. None of this ridiculous turning it on every time you use it, unlocking it etc. I saw a guy at Applebees last night 'wrestling' with his Droid to answer and make some calls. Poor fellow.

I upgraded from the Blackberry Tour to the Bold 9650, but played with the Droid every time I went in, thinking about giving it a try. After the 30 days was up I felt pangs of regret, though I think I made the right decision. My 9650 if a "simple" smart phone (I should probably put "" around smart as well,) and it does everything I need and nothing more. Faster, better internet would be nice...

After a few months, the pangs of regret subsided and I'm just glad to have a phone that works beautifully and only requires a battery pull every few days. haha It's not perfect, but I hope RIM keeps the simple things dependable and intuitive. Not all of us need 1,000 apps, nor to be socially connected at all times. As long as they keep the smart phone relatively simple, I'll keep buying them.

Last edited:
My net10 phone has a 1" screen and a calendar! I just looked - it tells time too, so I dont need to wear my casio rolex thunderball submariner replica anymore
wink.gif

We're supposed to be getting Iphones to replace our BlackBerrys at work, and I wondered if an Android powered smartphone might have been a better choice. Maybe not...

After having the bottom end Blackberry for a year and now my Droid for a year, I would rather not have a phone at all if I'm ever forced to use a Blackberry ever again. I just listened to the radio while shoveling my driveway with the Droid. Greatest phone ever.

I was given a free Verizon Blackberry Storm from my company. I find it painful to use. I basically just use it when I need to make a long conference call and I'm off site. Total fail.

My daily driver phone is a HTC HD2 from T-Mobile. Got 3 of them for free (with 2yr contract) during a T-Mobile promotion last father's day. I've rooted them all and installed the latest Android Gingerbread 2.3.2. Wouldn't trade these things for anything. Very functional, lots of features, fast, and good voice/data quality. According to speedtest, I'm getting 6.5mb/sec down and 1.8mb/sec up from home. That varies while I'm on the road, but it's normally between 3mb/sec and 4mb/sec.

A number of folks at work have the Droid and I just don't see the appeal, especially when coupled with Verizon's consumer unfriendly policies on being able to run your own software and to enable features that they've disabled.

Best,

Heh... I just returned my BB 9650 and got a Droid 2 Global. I don't mind the complexity. It's the battery life that I'm still not convinced about. WIll most likely have to get an extended battery, if I decide to keep it.

I agree though that for basic voice calling and email, BB is hard to beat. The android platform has so much more to offer though...

I've used a blackberry 8330 curve quite a bit. I can't imagine a company would release this thing as a final product to a consumer. What a piece of [censored]. I haven't used a droid, so I cant comment there, but I'll never own another blackberry.

It's on sprint so I don't know if that matters. Basically it's like using an old 386 computer on dial up internet. It's that slow.

Originally Posted By: FL-400S
I've used a blackberry 8330 curve quite a bit. I can't imagine a company would release this thing as a final product to a consumer. What a piece of [censored]. I haven't used a droid, so I cant comment there, but I'll never own another blackberry.

It's on sprint so I don't know if that matters. Basically it's like using an old 386 computer on dial up internet. It's that slow.

That phone is antique. Of course it is slow.

Currently using a Blackberry 9780 (Bold 2) which has OS6 and I'm very happy with it. I had the Torch for a couple months, but couldn't get used to having to slide out the keyboard.

I've been a Blackberry user since 2001.

I manage a number of BES's. But I HAVE used the Samsung Galaxy S phone quite a bit as well as the iPhone 4. Both are a lot of fun, but their primary function sure isn't a phone or e-mail device. They strike me as portable gaming devices that happen to be able to do e-mail, SMS and phone services. Battery life is also no where near that of what we get out of our BB's.

Many phones are too gimmicky, overweight, and bloated. I long for one that just makes calls only and can be worn like a Timex. I'll keep my GPS suctioned cup to the windshield and use my laptop for when needed. I don't care for 'billions of apps' and don't need them to control or live my life.

Make an effort NOT to keep up with the Joneses. Go the opposite way and be happier.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Many phones are too gimmicky, overweight, and bloated. I long for one that just makes calls only and can be worn like a Timex. I'll keep my GPS suctioned cup to the windshield and use my laptop for when needed. I don't care for 'billions of apps' and don't need them to control or live my life.

Make an effort NOT to keep up with the Joneses. Go the opposite way and be happier.

X2 for me here also, I just returned a Droid to Sprint for many of the above posters cited reasons. I want a phone that is easy to use AS A PHONE, and to text occasionly. I admit with nerve damage in my fingers, going to a high-tech touch pad was not a smart move, but I didnt think it would be as frustrating as it was. Sure , it had many great apps, but I wouldn't use a 10th of them, and in the week I had it, I noticed that it went thru a charge like crazy. I returned it for a simple Sanyo/Kyrocera "Vero" and have been very happy.

I could not see the dial pad in the sun shine.I had to look for a shady spot to dial a number. Don't miss it at all.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Battery life is also no where near that of what we get out of our BB's.

This is correct, considering you have to remove the battery on a BB every 5th day to reset it. So, the battery isn't being used.

HEY-OH!!!

I also returned my Droid for a regular phone. I'm glad I don't have to use the stupid thing anymore.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Battery life is also no where near that of what we get out of our BB's.

This is correct, considering you have to remove the battery on a BB every 5th day to reset it. So, the battery isn't being used.

HEY-OH!!!

Only if you are running a buggy carrier OS release. Guess when the last time I've had to do a battery pull on any of my BB's was?

I am an admin for three BES servers, and have handled hundreds of the bloody things. I have a little bit (10 years) of experience with RIM's hardware and software.

My Iphone 4 is a great phone. I was one of the "first" Android OS users with the HTC Dream(G1). It was definitely a solid OS, phone was underpowered and battery life was abysmal. The problem I am finding with the Android powered phones is battery life. From the Droid X, Droid, Droid 2, Aeris and others that my friends and family have, they whine about battery life. My buddy left his home at 6:30AM, phone was dead by 9:30 just from random texts and checking email. I do like the "open" OS nature of the android platform but I've noticed most users treat it like a PC. lots and lots of apps and icons.

My Iphone 4 never gets below 60% from heavy texting/web surfing for 10 hours or so. The only time I beat on the phone is when I play Infinity Blade, battery drops like crazy, but pushing the Unreal 3 engine on a phone can warrant that any day
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anies
My Iphone 4 is a great phone. I was one of the "first" Android OS users with the HTC Dream(G1). It was definitely a solid OS, phone was underpowered and battery life was abysmal. The problem I am finding with the Android powered phones is battery life. From the Droid X, Droid, Droid 2, Aeris and others that my friends and family have, they whine about battery life. My buddy left his home at 6:30AM, phone was dead by 9:30 just from random texts and checking email. I do like the "open" OS nature of the android platform but I've noticed most users treat it like a PC. lots and lots of apps and icons.

My Iphone 4 never gets below 60% from heavy texting/web surfing for 10 hours or so. The only time I beat on the phone is when I play Infinity Blade, battery drops like crazy, but pushing the Unreal 3 engine on a phone can warrant that any day
smile.gif

I spent some time modding a Samsung Galaxy tab yesterday. Installed a new kernel and flash image to get OpenVPN working. Was a really slick device. Battery life was better than I expected. I definitely like it better than the iPad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back