How to check Nitrogen psi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Daughter's car came with nitrogen filled tires.
Can I use a standard psi gauge to check?
I'm curious to see how they have held at 4300 miles.
If nitro is better than airOne less thing for me to worry about.
Thanks
Rich

I don't see why not. Pounds per square inch is Pounds per square inch whether you're measuring water, air, concrete, or gum drops.

Did she get those neat green valve stem caps? I put yellow ones on my truck because they look cool on the slow roll in town. :eek:)

YES-use a standard air gauge. The only real advantage is the N2 is dry so less variability in pressure and no tire degradation due to lack of O2. Not much advantage for a daily driver.

If you check obsessively you're eventually going to need more nitrogen.
27.gif

Most tire shops have free top offs, though it's probably out of your way to go back.

Seriously, it's your duty to check.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
YES-use a standard air gauge. The only real advantage is the N2 is dry so less variability in pressure and no tire degradation due to lack of O2. Not much advantage for a daily driver.

They are still exposed to O2 on the outside of the tire, since tires deteriorate faster on the outside, lack of
O2 on the inside doesn't matter.

The air we breathe is about 80% nitrogen anyway.
It is not a magic ingredient.
What we want is dry - air or nitrogen.
But a standard gauge will work perfectly.
Check it too often and you'll lose precious nitrogen!

I've never seen a tire 'degrade from the inside' due to the use of regular air. It is more stable but unless you drive a race car it's useless. Check it with a regular pressure gauge and if its low top it off with air.

Its a scam for dealers to pad their bottom line, no advantage to daily drivers. If the air we breath is 75% nitrogen how do they get all the air out of the tires so they can get in 100% nitrogen? evacuate all the air and the tire might collapse? and if there is nitrogen in the tire how do you test it if the tire does have all nitrogen. They just put a green cap on the valve stem and send you away, Google nitrogen in tires, now don't get me started on body and window etching...just fill it with air and forget about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back