About to change fluid on my 4L65E for first time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good afternoon guys.

I was wondering if dropping the transmission pan on the 4L65E transmission in my 2008 Chevrolet Impala (has 54,xxx and has never had the fluid changed) and changing the fluid/filter would be sufficient or would you recommend doing a complete flush using the cooler return line? And are there any risks on running the transmission dry for a couple of seconds before shutting the engine off while flushing?

I bought 8 quarts of Valvoline Dextron VI, which is supposedly full synthetic. I was told the initial fill was 7.39 qts. Any idea on how much fluid I can expect with a simple pan drop and filter change?

And is the full synthetic Valvoline Dextron VI really any different from the AC Delco or Castrol syn-blends if they all have to meet the Dextron VI specifications?

Thanks in advance for any advice/information,
Gary

It is the 4T65 and a pan drop will be enough. I am using full syn Valvoline dex6 in my Regal. I can't compare it to GM's own brand. I can say that there is a slight difference with the Val Dex6 and M1 Dex3 that I had before. Mainly just faster downshifts (highway passing). I believe for the Dex6 spec the fluid has to be at least a syn blend with the proper additives to be Dex6. The full syn Valvoline is doing great for me.

The pan gasket is reusable, just wipe it with a rag. For the filter I would recommend genuine GM. You will need approx 8 qts. to refill. I would start with 7 and go from there.

4T65 in your Impala.

7 quarts is with a pan drop. Total transmission capacity is around 14.

I'd recommend getting 14 quarts of ATF and a hand pump, pump out the transmission pan, dropping the pan, changing the filter (it's pretty easy, if quite messy), refilling the pan with ~6 quarts of new ATF, and then proceeding with your flush. That way you'll get out ALL of the old ATF.

If you feel comfortable doing it, a TransGo transmission accumulator shift kit will prevent some problems down the road with your pressure control solenoid. It's about $65 shipped, and is something you can install if you can yank the pan and change the filter.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
It is the 4T65 and a pan drop will be enough.

For you maybe but some people may want to get it all out do a complete fluid transfer.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
4T65 in your Impala.

7 quarts is with a pan drop. Total transmission capacity is around 14.

I'd recommend getting 14 quarts of ATF and a hand pump, pump out the transmission pan, dropping the pan, changing the filter (it's pretty easy, if quite messy), refilling the pan with ~6 quarts of new ATF, and then proceeding with your flush. That way you'll get out ALL of the old ATF.

If you feel comfortable doing it, a TransGo transmission accumulator shift kit will prevent some problems down the road with your pressure control solenoid. It's about $65 shipped, and is something you can install if you can yank the pan and change the filter.

I have the 4T65E in my Buick Century and it's still running great at 118K. I used Mobil 1 (old formula Dex 3) and changed it at 36K and 96K with a new filter each time. The pan drop usually required close to 8 quarts to refill.

At what age/mileage does the 'pressure control solenoid' problem usually show up?

Is it too late to install the shift kit by then?

My 1999 Buick LeSabre with 82,500 miles has had a flaky PCS for ~10k miles and 6 months now. I installed a basic shift kit then, and the TransGo about 700 miles ago along with a flush of Valvoline Maxlife ATF. So far so good.

The PCS can go bad at 70k miles like in my car, or never. 98 and 99 4T65's were the flakiest. It was re-designed in 2003 to be less problematic. Signs your PCS is bad are the shifts get progressively harder as the transmission warms up, and that shutting off the car then restarting makes it go away. Mine had the hard shifts that got worse over time.

It's never too late to install the shift kit. Some rebuild shops even put the shift kit in when rebuilding to prevent the problem from occurring.

It doesn't make the shifts harder, just faster, by doing with springs and spacers what the PCS does via electronics.

Not to drag this thread off topic, but it's a good preventative measure if you plan on keeping the car for many thousand more miles. And it's easy enough to do if you can drop the transmission pan.

I just did the 4t65e in my monte this morning. I used GM dexron IV and a GM filter. A GM filter is really the only way to go. All the aftermarkets I have seen are junk, but the GM does cost a little bit more. Took a little over 7 quarts to do mine. I seen no reason why this wouldn't be sufficient. If you have money to blow or OCD, feel free to get it flushed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daman

For you maybe but some people may want to get it all out do a complete fluid transfer.

And the PCS will get plugged from the flush. Stick with what you know.

I agree with this 100%. I've been around 4T65Es for quite some time and have experienced a few failed pressure control solenoids. I highly recommend that you DO NOT do a flush because the odds are high that PCS failure will follow shortly.

I think I'm going to just do the pan drop and filter change and forgo the complete flush. I may return my aftermarket filter and get a GM OEM filter though.

One last question--I noticed in another recent BITOG transmission post someone suggested adding a bottle of Lubegard Red. Would that improve the transmission life and performance or is it unnecessary/ill-advised with the Dextron VI?

Thanks,
Gary

The Dex6 has all the additives you should need. Adding anything isn't suggested. Regular maintenance will yield maximum life.

B.S. done it, whats going to plug it??

Thanks to beast3300 and others for the expert advice. Going with the OEM filter, pan drop method using Dextron VI only.

So long for now from hot Tucson. :)
Gary

Originally Posted By: Tucson Five-O
Thanks to beast3300 and others for the expert advice. Going with the OEM filter, pan drop method using Dextron VI only.

Gary

Your welcome from semi-warm Ohio!!!

Sorry Daman, but when you move tranny fluid around it can deposit junk on solenoid screens. I know of at least Honda at one point recommending against trans flushes. That may have changed....I don't know about those guys. From personal cars to other car forums with 4T65 issues you will hear alot of PCS woahs.

Gary

Sorry Daman, but when you move tranny fluid around it can deposit junk on solenoid screens. I know of at least Honda at one point recommending against trans flushes. That may have changed....I don't know about those guys. From personal cars to other car forums with 4T65 issues you will hear alot of PCS woahs.

No problem, i don't seem to have any issues and that's the way i always do it, your doing a fluid exchange pour in pump old out,not cleaning as in what one would think a traditional "flush" would do.

but what ever gives the OP a warm fuzzy feeling.

Gary

No problem, i don't seem to have any issues and that's the way i always do it, your doing a fluid exchange pour in pump old out,not cleaning as in what one would think a traditional "flush" would do.

Ok I see what happened here. So your flush was not using a machine like traditional places that employ them. At work we have a machine that has it's own pump to force fluid at it's own pressures through the transmission. That was what I was thinking about when I read flush.

Gary

Ok I see what happened here. So your flush was not using a machine like traditional places that employ them. At work we have a machine that has it's own pump to force fluid at it's own pressures through the transmission. That was what I was thinking about when I read flush.

Right not like that what your doing is flushing the old oil out by pouring in the new,your flushing the torque converter and lines,cooler so theoretically your getting 100% new fluid.

doing just a pan drop your waisting your time and oil IMO, it's like draining your engine oil and putting the drain plug back in at half drain leaving lots of dirty oil behind.

Sorry for the confusion. When I said flush I meant I would disconnect the return line (which one would that be? I know it's the cooler of the two and does it have to be that one?) put a section of clear vinyl hose over it and drain into a bucket with the engine running until I see some air pockets appearing.
This would be my preference but it scares the you-know-what out of me. I'm worried about damaging the transmission. And is there a fill plug or do I refill through the dipstick? To be honest I haven't checked to see if this car has a dipstick. I'm not as anal with the transmission as the engine but that's going to change.

Thanks,
Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back