Filter recommendations for dino oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are some good filters for use with dino oil? Are there bigger and better filters one can pay a but more for?

Where do Toyota brand filters fall within the hierarchy of things?

Thanks

Any of your bottom end stuff should do, ST, STP, NAPA Pro Selects, Car Quest Red, Purolator, Fram, Pronto, etc. Only slightly more for AC or Motorcraft or maybe the Toyota. How good is any of it? Hard to say. Me? I look for a filter made in America by an American company.

I'm no expert but have most often used filters corporate to the vehicle ie...Ford-Motorcraft filter,GM-AC filter,Dodge/Chrysler-Mopar filter,Purolator also makes an excellent filter some on here use WM Supertech filters and like them i for personal reasons don't use Fram oil filters although i do use Fram air filters,Mobil One is a good filter and i believe O'Reillys house filters are Purolator,any of these sould work well with any oil you use.I don't know anything of Toyota filters as i don't own or drive anything but American vehicles,nothing wrong with them just my personal.

Last edited:
to add to labmans list, quaker state, around $3 for most at menards, never an issue, use often w conventional oil myself

Thanks.

How about a Mobil 1 or K&N? Oil will most likely be Pennzoil or GTX conventional 10w-40.

I like the vehicle (over 200K miles) and want to spend a few extra bucks if it helps the cause along a bit.

My new regimen is to purchase a M1 filter and just leave it on there for the whole 15K miles. This covers 3-5 OCI and is cost effective and saves time during an OC. Some BITOG'rs might have nightmares thinking that up to a cup of "dirty" oil has remained in the engine, however.

Last edited:
Don't just go out and buy an oil filter alone.

Look for the oil change deals where you get 5 qts. of your favorite oil and a filter.

Often you'll get a nice classic Purolator filter that will work really well.

If you're looking for a premium filter you can often anti up a couple extra dollars for a Purolator Pure One.

If you want a Mobil 1 filter, wait for a $29.99 special with 5 quarts of M1. You get the premium filter and a bargain on some premium oil too.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
i believe O'Reillys house filters are Purolator,

Now Fram, perhaps just as good, but as much as Wal-Mart wants for the orange box.

Yes, QS may be as good as the rest and there is Power Flo, Value craft, and Total grip.

Originally Posted By: 4ever4d
Didn't know they had changed mfg. thanks for the correction.

And prior to that they were Wix filters. I have a slew of Microguards n my shelf that I have to constantly check and double check applications running between the Fram and Wix numbers.

I am getting a whole new line now for jobbers that is all Wix in case lots. Really nice filters, all made in the US.

edited to add they are all Wix, but come under a different name.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: labman
Any of your bottom end stuff should do, ST, STP, NAPA Pro Selects, Car Quest Red, Purolator, Fram, Pronto, etc. Only slightly more for AC or Motorcraft or maybe the Toyota. How good is any of it? Hard to say. Me? I look for a filter made in America by an American company.

32.gif
It was a great, helpful reply to a new user, until we had to get all political at the end.
smirk2.gif

I order PureOne's from Amazon, but I run my dino out past 5k so I like to think I'm getting a little extra protection. The price is about $1.00 more than a standard Purolator at a big box store, and it shows up at my door. Plus it is manufactured in North Carolina by US workers
34.gif

But any of the brands that labman mentioned will work great in most applications with dino....

The oil filter Proline at Pep Boys is made in America too, I got it FAR with Peak oil about a year ago. It is on '94 LS400 now, I think it good enough for 2 dino changes at 6-7k/6mo OCI.

i didn't know dino oil required any different filter than synthetic...

rather than dino/synthetic being the determining factor which filter you buy, it hsould be filter construction and OCI you are interested in that determines your decision.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i didn't know dino oil required any different filter than synthetic...

I suspect he's looking for something that will do the job and has decent quality without costing extra for features that are best suited to a long OCI.

By the way, one of these days, I'm going to randomly refer to someone here as "he" and wind up with a foot in my mouth.

Originally Posted By: RandomInThe707
What are some good filters for use with dino oil? Are there bigger and better filters one can pay a but more for?

Where do Toyota brand filters fall within the hierarchy of things?

Do you have a Toyota? If I recall correctly, Toyota OEM filters are Densos. You guys in the States seem to be able to get them with relative ease. Denso also makes filters for other makes of vehicles. Check some of the threads in the oil filter sub. They are well constructed with nice attention to detail. If you check online (PM me if you cannot find the site), you can order them on the web at a very, very good price.

Myself, I use a lot of Wix and Motorcraft. I get an especially good price on the former, and they're quality filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back