Motorcycle Challenge to grampi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: grampi
Zedhed

I agree belts are the lightest, and probably the quietest, but they aren't the most trouble-free. That would be shaft drive. Other than draining and refilling the differential once in a while, there's nothing you have to do with a shaft.

Yes, but they also don't rob 12% of the engine's power like the right-angle gears in a shaft drive. Shafts are great except they weigh alot, are complex, expensive to make and repair and consume power.

I hate to admit that belts have so many benefits, but the facts are the facts. Not perfect, just fewer drawbacks...

Originally Posted By: grampi
Zedhed

I agree belts are the lightest, and probably the quietest, but they aren't the most trouble-free. That would be shaft drive. Other than draining and refilling the differential once in a while, there's nothing you have to do with a shaft.

Some belts don't require any maintenance at all. Unless you consider checking them for wear once in a while and keeping them clean to be maintenance. I just put a little poly-oil on the edges once a year but that's really only needed if the belt starts making noise (which will happen after 3-4 years without a little lube on the edges). I just do it as preventative maintenance.

On the HDs I check the tension twice a year but it is very rare that they need adjustment - I think I've done it twice in 14 years. Of course, it is re-set every time I change the rear tire but sometimes I go five years between rear tires. On the Buell I don't need to do much since it has a tensioner pulley.

I wouldn't have any gripes about having a belt driven bike at all, but given the choice I'd take a shaft....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back