New tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got some Destination ATs for the Ranger. I went up from the stock 225/70R15s to 235/75R15s. I like the new size a lot more, though it would look better with an inch or two of lift.

IMG_0840.jpg

IMG_0841.jpg

IMG_0844.jpg

And what it looked like before:
IMG_0804.jpg

that is going to screw your speedometer up bigtime, as not only did you go wider, but your sidewall increased as a higher percentage of the higher number.

Don't know about the AT's but I have Destination LE's on my Dakota and they are a great tire for the money. I had mine mounted with the white letters out, I think my truck looks better that way.

I run the same size 235/75R15 and only noticed a very slight drop in MPG from the Michelin LTX I had before. That is only due to a difference in tread pattern though, the LTX's were 235/75R15 too.

I would think the effects on the speedometer would be minimal. If it really needs it you may be able to have the PCM recalibrated for the larger tire size to correct the speedo.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
And it changed the gearing.
Yes, but only slightly, and probably for the better. I got larger tires for my scoobie and it really reduced the road noise greatly. I think the fuel economy is a tad better (although, when calculating the mpg at refuelling, you have to remember to adjust the odometer/tripmeter milage by adding about 5 percent to the trip miles measured). With the previous gearing, my Imp rev's pretty high in 5th gear on the highway (like 3000 slightly before 65? now it's 3k somewhat after 65), so getting larger tires probably improves the hwy milage in most conditions, at the drawback of getting slightly less torque at 65mph in 5th. I believe i went from stock 175/70R14 to 185 75 R14 (Firestone FR 380).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mshu7
According to the following tire size calculator (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) your spedo will be 5.4% too slow. When you are traveling 60 mph, you are actually traveling 63.2 mph.

But considering that a typical speedo reads optimistically by design, he'll probably just be closer to the true value.

You can get an accurate reading of MPH traveling from a GPS unit in the car. This will give you a fair comparison of how off your speedometer truly is.

You wont be off by much, possibly 5% or so.

I like the Rangers. Looking good with 235's.

The truck would probably look higher without the running boards. I find running boards always make trucks look lower.

They suit it though, so its a catch 22.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
that is going to screw your speedometer up bigtime, as not only did you go wider, but your sidewall increased as a higher percentage of the higher number.

Been there done that with my old Explorer. I went from 235s to 31x10.50s. The speedometer actually became more accurate...almost spot on. I tested it against a GPS unit. When I get around to it I will do the same with this truck. If it's off, I can always put the new tire size in the ScanGauge and use that for a speedometer.

So far with a couple hundred miles on the tires, I have no complaints. It's too early to tell how fuel economy will be affected, but I haven't noticed an increase in consumption yet.

The truck was a little dirty, so I cleaned it up. Unfortunately it was dark outside, so I had to take pics in the garage. It cleans up alright for an 8 year old pickup.

IMG_0851.jpg

IMG_0845.jpg

IMG_0849.jpg

IMG_0847.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back