New Douglas tire at Wally World

I was browsing at my local Walmart last night and noticed they had a new Douglas Touring AS tire. Looking at the sizes they had in stock, it appears that this is replacing both the Douglas All Season and Douglas Performance tires they stocked previously.

I saw these as well. I think the price/value relationship is starting to erode a bit, however...and I am a long-time Douglas user and proponent. I'm simply seeing better value with other brands (although the Wal-Mart website is still my go-to source for tires).

A few weeks ago I decided to replace the Cooper CS5 Touring tires on my 250K-mile 2005 Caravan. I got those from walmart.com in 2019 and they ran just shy of 67K miles with beautiful and even wear.

I fully expected to go with Douglas tires for this old & high-mileage vehicle. Doing a price and UTQG comparison led me to Armstrong Blu-Tracs for my set of P215/70R15s:

Douglas Touring A/S (500AB, 9/32" tread depth, 50K-mile warranty) -- $72.00 each

Armstrong Blue-Trac (700AA, 11/32" tread depth, 85K-mile warranty) -- $66.14 each

Even though it's a tad more, the Goodyear Reliant also appears to be more for the money (600AA, 10/32" tread depth, 65K warranty) at $84.00 each.

I still like Douglas and will consider them for future purchases. In my recent case, they were simply outclassed for the money.

I saw these as well. I think the price/value relationship is starting to erode a bit, however...and I am a long-time Douglas user and proponent. I'm simply seeing better value with other brands (although the Wal-Mart website is still my go-to source for tires).

A few weeks ago I decided to replace the Cooper CS5 Touring tires on my 250K-mile 2005 Caravan. I got those from walmart.com in 2019 and they ran just shy of 67K miles with beautiful and even wear.

I fully expected to go with Douglas tires for this old & high-mileage vehicle. Doing a price and UTQG comparison led me to Armstrong Blu-Tracs for my set of P215/70R15s:

Douglas Touring A/S (500AB, 9/32" tread depth, 50K-mile warranty) -- $72.00 each

Armstrong Blue-Trac (700AA, 11/32" tread depth, 85K-mile warranty) -- $66.14 each

Even though it's a tad more, the Goodyear Reliant also appears to be more for the money (600AA, 10/32" tread depth, 65K warranty) at $84.00 each.

I still like Douglas and will consider them for future purchases. In my recent case, they were simply outclassed for the money.
Is the Armstrong made in USA by a reputable company, or is it a name on some unknown origin tires?

As I understand it, Douglas is Good Year made. I have owned one set and have been very happy with the whole situation with them.

Hopefully these new ones are as good as the existing models.

The new Douglas tire appears to be a clone of the older Kelly Edge model (the Edge was recently refreshed with a newer design).

Douglas tires are a bonus when they can be snagged either on sale (such as Black Friday or pre-Black Friday), or on clearance.

I've yet to be disappointed for what I pay.

Yep, the tires I got were sadly made in Thailand. I remember when Armstrong (and their Rhino mascot) were really a big deal in the USA.

I have Douglas radials on my daily driver Dodge Daytona and I think they're fine. I've never gotten over 42K miles on a set, though, on the Daytona or the 2005 Caravan.

To me it came down to UTQG for the $$$. Also really want to see how well the Armstrongs hold up compared to the Coopers I just replaced.

Fully agree that when the Douglas tires go on rollback or blowout sales they're almost impossible to beat for the dough.

Have only driven in one rainstorm since getting them installed, but have to say they held the wet roads pretty well.

New Armstrong.JPG

I’m in need of some tires for the Vibe and looked at Douglas while at Walmart. I think they’ll be a loud tire with the huge channel gaps. I can’t justify the cost of weatherready like I have on the Venza.

I’ll probably check out the local shops to see what they can do price wise. I need an alignment and one stop shopping is convenient but I don’t need to be raped on the price either.

I’m in need of some tires for the Vibe and looked at Douglas while at Walmart. I think they’ll be a loud tire with the huge channel gaps. I can’t justify the cost of weatherready like I have on the Venza.

I’ll probably check out the local shops to see what they can do price wise. I need an alignment and one stop shopping is convenient but I don’t need to be raped on the price either.

What is your tire size? :unsure:

Since you mentioned the Weatherready, you seem to be interested in all-weather tires. There might be cheaper all-weather tires you can use. Milestar Weatherguard AW365, Armstrong Blu-Trac Flex, etc.

I’ll probably check out the local shops to see what they can do price wise

Sounds good. If you find something you like, be sure to check the W-M website. They can get almost anything, often at a better price, shipped to store for install. They are in my opinion very hard to beat.

What is your tire size? :unsure:

Since you mentioned the Weatherready, you seem to be interested in all-weather tires. There might be cheaper all-weather tires you can use. Milestar Weatherguard AW365, Armstrong Blu-Trac Flex, etc.
205/55 16

I’ll be spending the weekend looking at tread patterns and if the pics are good enough I’ll be able to see how deep the siping is. The siping on the GY Reliance is not as deep as I like. My daughter is a new driver and this is her go kart so I’m looking for a tire with good siping. This winter was extremely unusual with very little snow or ice and temps in the 50s so tires weren’t as important as a usual winter.

Sounds good. If you find something you like, be sure to check the W-M website. They can get almost anything, often at a better price, shipped to store for install. They are in my opinion very hard to beat.
I’d like to keep the local guys going if I can as I know some of them personally. I always shop price and then decide if it’s worth it to pay a little extra to the local guy (or USA made vs import made products) and I will but don’t want to get raped on the price. $10/tire? Sure. $40 per tire? Nope.

I’d like to keep the local guys going if I can as I know some of them personally. I always shop price and then decide if it’s worth it to pay a little extra to the local guy (or USA made vs import made products) and I will but don’t want to get raped on the price. $10/tire? Sure. $40 per tire? Nope.

That's a great point of view. In my case the locals' prices were so far away I had to go the Wal-Mart route. Happy hunting!

Reactions: hrv
205/55 16

I’ll be spending the weekend looking at tread patterns and if the pics are good enough I’ll be able to see how deep the siping is. The siping on the GY Reliance is not as deep as I like. My daughter is a new driver and this is her go kart so I’m looking for a tire with good siping. This winter was extremely unusual with very little snow or ice and temps in the 50s so tires weren’t as important as a usual winter.

That is a very common tire size, so there are lots of tires in the size 205/55-16 :)

Yes, it sounds like all-weather tires are the best choice for you. Here is the Milestar AW365 for $76 each

I had milestar back in 1998. Terrible tire but they were cheap Farm and Fleet specials. They were great for doing burnouts in my 1995 V8 T-bird. I’ll read some reviews.

Back