What are your driving pet peeves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not talking about things like Law-breaking actions:
(Example: I'm tired of people driving too slow such as people who go the speed limit.. I like to go 85 on a 70 MPH highway)

I'm talking about common-sense:
(Example: I hate it when people don't use their turn signal)

Here's mine:

1. People who don't turn their turn signal

2. People who disrespect other drivers, especially the ones who have kids or with an elderly person.

3. Only for women: Talking on Cell phone and texting while driving. Women being good at "Multi-tasking" is certainly false.

4. When making a turn: A big SUV or truck suddenly blocks your view.

5. People who don't turn off their headlights at the drive-thru. This is a burden for smaller car drivers even with dimming mirrors.

6. People, mostly with women, who climbs back into their car while pumping gas. I'm tired of watching precious fuel flood the place because of an unattended pump.

7. People who don't pull into the furthest gas pump.

8. People who don't cooperate with police and actually make things worse, even with petty problems.

9. Over-confident SUV drivers in the snow. I'm tired of them tailgating me when the roads are very slippery. I do laugh when I see the same SUV in the ditch after a couple minutes.

10. People who disrespect truck drivers. If you don't let a trucker merge, you're just hindering traffic flow and increase confusion.

11. People who disrespect manual transmission drivers in traffic jams and stop and go on uphill roads. I seriously think the roads would have better traffic flow if everyone drove manuals.

12. People who over-react when someone makes a small driving error.

Lucky 13. PEOPLE WHO BREAK THE LAW, EVEN THE SMALL ONES.

14. People who creep up at traffic lights. They inch up and inch up....and when the light turns red, their reaction time to hit the gas is like three seconds.

I CAN'T STAND these people, and there are NO plates in the streets to trigger a red light to green, and most of these morons wouldn't know that trick anyway.

15. LEFT LANE Blockers

16. People who speed up on purpose when you try to pass them. (really no problem for me with vehicles close to 600HP, but annoying nevertheless.)

17. Idiots with BLUE headlamp bulbs or aftermarket HID kits that were not installed properly.

18. People who drive at night with their lights off. Surprisingly, most of the dorks out here who do that drive $50k cars that SHOULD activate these features automatically for these lazy slobs. Guess they forgot to enable them or couldn't figure it out.

Last edited:
19. People who litter from their cars. Cigarette butts, soda cans/bottles, junk mail, etc.

20. People who don't service their vehicles properly putting other drivers at risk. (low brake pads, marginal tires, etc)

21. Drivers who tailgate me when I am in a car that brakes from 60MPH in 97ft.

22. Oh, I guess this falls under 20 but I was once on the freeway and these two jerks were doing 85MPH with a donut spare tire on the car. It was SMOKING. I pulled up next to them and told them their tire was on fire.

23. Illegal immigrants that drive with no insurance, no license, but can cause an accident that is their fault and get away scott free (even with 10 cops at the scene and with a witness!), however if a legal citizen had caused the accident with no paperwork or driving credentials, it would be off to jail for the citizen.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: timish
14. People who creep up at traffic lights. They inch up and inch up....and when the light turns red, their reaction time to hit the gas is like three seconds.

I CAN'T STAND these people, and there are NO plates in the streets to trigger a red light to green, and most of these morons wouldn't know that trick anyway.

15. LEFT LANE Blockers

16. People who speed up on purpose when you try to pass them. (really no problem for me with vehicles close to 600HP, but annoying nevertheless.)

17. Idiots with BLUE headlamp bulbs or aftermarket HID kits that were not installed properly.

18. People who drive at night with their lights off. Surprisingly, most of the dorks out here who do that drive $50k cars that SHOULD activate these features automatically for these lazy slobs. Guess they forgot to enable them or couldn't figure it out.
Originally Posted By: Ross
door ding in parking lots..
19. People who litter from their cars. Cigarette butts, soda cans/bottles, junk mail, etc.

20. People who don't service their vehicles properly putting other drivers at risk. (low brake pads, marginal tires, etc)

21. Drivers who tailgate me when I am in a car that brakes from 60MPH in 97ft.

22. Oh, I guess this falls under 20 but I was once on the freeway and these two jerks were doing 85MPH with a donut spare tire on the car. It was SMOKING. I pulled up next to them and told them their tire was on fire.

23. Illegal immigrants that drive with no insurance, no license, but can cause an accident that is their fault and get away scott free (even with 10 cops at the scene and with a witness!), however if a legal citizen had caused the accident with no paperwork or driving credentials, it would be off to jail for the citizen.

OH MY GOSH. I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED ALL OF THOSE. You guys read my mind!!!! Especially the one where people litter, creeping up the light when it's red and people go faster when you're trying to pass.

One of the things that drives me crazy the most, is when people drive painfully slow, knowing you are behind them, yet when they come to a stop sign, they just slow down and roll it, and continue going below the speed limit after the intersection. ANNOYING.

People who don't yield when it's my right of way or cut me off and then have the audacity to flick me off when I honk them.

Last edited:
24. Here is another one......People who are so [censored] selfish and have entitlement issues to put MY LIFE AT RISK by ACTIVELY BLOCKING my legal lane splitting on my motorcycle by moving their cars into the path of my moving motorcycle because they are stuck in traffic.

Originally Posted By: Popinski
Timish sounds like a respectable driver... and HE'S FROM LA!!!

I may live here but I am not originally from this cesspool of idiotic drivers.
crackmeup2.gif

I'm actually thinking of starting a driving school out here to help people to AVOID these driver issues.

People who pass you on the right to fill the three car gap in front of you on a packed highway. Usually the same doofus you see making a three lane dive to the right to make his exit as you pass him exactly three seconds behind him.

In addition to those above:

- People who swerve across four lanes of interstate traffic to make an exit, and cross the gore point in the process. They could simply go to the next exit, leave the highway, and double back...but no, they have to put everyone at risk.

- People who pass on the right, except when no other choice is available.

- People who do not signal their intent to overtake, but rather tailgate extremely closely. If one wants me to move over, I'll gladly do so if they signal by a quick flash or two of the headlights. (Signaling to overtake was ubiquitous in Germany, and everyone responded to the signals properly.)

- Failure to respond to other drivers signals (e.g. flashing headlights or a large number of people passing on the right indicates that one is going too slow and should move over).

- Driving too fast for environmental conditions (e.g. rain, snow, etc.).

- Failure to anticipate environmental conditions. If the road is damp, the sky cloudy, and one can visibly see rain a mile or two ahead, one should start slowing down now rather than wait for the first drops to hit, then slam on the brakes.

- Rubbernecking. There is zero reason to slow to 20 miles per hour on the interstate when passing an accident scene well off the roadway, particularly when the highway patrol, fire department, and/or tow truck is there. Slow down, yes, but not to 20.

- Failure to yield to emergency vehicles. When I was doing a ridealong with my highway patrol friend, we were doing 130mph (the Crown Vic handles spectacularly at this speed, by the way) on the interstate while responding to a serious accident call (car rolled off the roadway into a ditch, turns out there was no injuries) and people would not get out of the way. They wouldn't acknowledge the police car until it was less than 100' behind them, at which point we'd have to slow sharply down and wait for them to respond. On several occasions, the motorist wouldn't respond at all, and we'd have to slow to their speed, pass them on the right, and then accelerate. Totally outrageous.

- Failure to give ample room to stopped vehicles and emergency vehicles on the side of the road. Is it too hard to move over a lane to provide that extra buffer of safety?

- People who do not respond to horns used as a warning device (as opposed to venting anger), or respond with indignation. If I'm driving at 40mph and proceeding through an intersection in which I have a green light and a stopped car facing the opposite direction in its respective left-turn lane suddenly darts out less than 50' in front of my car to make a turn, I'm darn well going to sound my horn as they're posing a serious hazard. This has happened numerous times, and each time has resulted in their flipping me the bird (Are they squirrels? Could they not have waited another moment for me to pass, then turn safely?) or being completely oblivious to my approaching car (they don't even look to see where the horn blast is coming from, even with obvious doppler shifts making it clear that the horn is getting closer).

People who misuse the rear foglamps on their cars...e.g, flip every illumination switch on the console and drive with rear firing fog bulbs on a clear night with careless abandon.

Jerks in diesel trucks that "smoke" the inside of your car with their "banks powered" trucks when you have your window down in traffic.

Harley Davidson pilots with straight pipe that gleefully grab a fistful of throttle while going down the road and time it perfectly for each outside restaurant/venue they drive by. Bonus points if you do it at 3am down a residential block.

Same Harley Davidson guys dressed like pirates "weekend warriors" who glom up the twisty roads doing 20MPH thru the corners dragging hard parts and absolutely refuse to let you pass when you are on a bike made to safely and legally maneuver the turns while driving the speed limit.

Morons who live on a cul de sac, and who live at the END of such cul de sac that test top speed of their euromobiles while coming down the 1500 feet of road that lead to the cross street. This is in a neighborhood where there are plenty of children present.

People who drive massive pickups with Rancho lifted suspensions and/or Hummers that navigate over speed bumps on residential roads at a pace that would be fitting for an individual driving a Ferrari F40 navigating same speed bumps. Why own the offroad vehicle if you are going to limp over speedbumps an axle at a time while doing 2MPH?

Individuals who drive these $80k Range Rovers with LOL.....hahaha,...."brush guards" to protect the turn signals on the "trail" or "outback" (read L.A. Freeway) for the remote chance Buffy and Fifi the chihuahua might need to navigate a dirt road to get to the nearest Starbucks.

Last edited:
Quote:
- Rubbernecking. There is zero reason to slow to 20 miles per hour on the interstate when passing an accident scene well off the roadway, particularly when the highway patrol, fire department, and/or tow truck is there. Slow down, yes, but not to 20.

- Failure to give ample room to stopped vehicles and emergency vehicles on the side of the road. Is it too hard to move over a lane to provide that extra buffer of safety?

Originally Posted By: LS2JSTS
People who pass you on the right to fill the three car gap in front of you on a packed highway. Usually the same doofus you see making a three lane dive to the right to make his exit as you pass him exactly three seconds behind him.

SO TRUE.

Individuals who drive these $80k Range Rovers with LOL.....hahaha,...."brush guards" to protect the turn signals on the "trail" or "outback" (read L.A. Freeway) for the remote chance Buffy and Fifi the chihuahua might need to navigate a dirt road to get to the nearest Starbucks.

What a waste of gas and car performance.

I'll add one: People who use foglights in perfect conditions. They friggin' blind other people.

Cops who don't use blinkers.

Cops who "code" and run the cherries just to go thru a red light and resume on their way, yet there is no emergency they are responding to.

People with the "11/99 foundation" license plate frames who think they are above the law. Google this one non californians.

Drivers who take frustrations out on construction workers because they are just doing their job and unfortunately that impedes the drivers. (the pearblossom hwy that many take as a back road to Vegas actually had motorists actively target construction workers with their cars. It got so bad CHP had to sit there the entire time and they finally ended up closing the road temporarily because the "road rage" got so bad)

People who blast music (any genre) super loud, overdriving the cheap stock speaker "whizzer cones" to the point of massive distortion, thinking it sounds cool while driving with the windows down in traffic.

Drivers who signal, but fail to extinguish the turn signal and drive miles down the road with a blinker on while other motorists have no idea what their intent is.

People with "freeway/parkway/interstate" syndrome. So used to driving 85MPH for a long time, they exit the freeway and continue on surface streets, yet forget the speed limit is 40MPH lower than what their speed was on I-5.

People who drive around parking lots aimlessly, slow, or stalk the shoppers exiting the stores. People in same parking lots who navigate the lanes going the WRONG direction.

20 second stop sign people. You know, those folks who take literally the stop sign. They sit there for 20 seconds looking in all directions and then go on their way.

Old people who forgot how to modulate the brakes or the accelerator pedal. How many times have you been safely driving behind a blue hair and the traffic is slowing down a mile ahead and the old person SLAMS on their brakes, literally 500 ft behind the driver in front of them with you trying to figure out why they are slamming on the brakes for no reason. LOL - add people who just stab the brakes or brake for no apparent reason, even when there is nobody behind them or in front of them.

People who drive with the high beams on at night, oblivious to the BRIGHT blue highbeam icon glaring on their dashboard and the oncoming motorists flashing their lights in protest!

People who park in front of my house when they have a driveway that can fit 30 cars.

Other motorists who "play cop" and try to enforce traffic laws/speeds on other motorists.

Motorists who stand on the horn in protest of another driver's stupidity (blocking a lane, etc) when the other stupid motorist blocking traffic has nowhere to go, like continuously honking the horn is going to make the other motorist disappear.

"it takes 8460 bolts to put together an automobile, yet ONE NUT can scatter it into pieces across the road!" - Unknown

Last edited:
People who don't respect the fact that 120,000 Lbs of semi takes a bit of real estate to do anything. Its got PLENTY of power and gears.

OH and that car behind it with the flashing lights and banners is a PILOT CAR. His job simply put is to keep your dumb [censored] from getting wedged under my trailer/load. Its 12 Feet wide and 14 foot tall your in a sub compact do you think im going to see your dumb self attempt to over take me on the right when every single one of the 6 yes 6 turn signals on that side are blinking away?

Not to mention people who do not slow down and pull over for stopped emergency vehicles or stalled cars or trucks with their hazards on.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
All bicyclists.

Classy..........

You must be the one of the ones who has tried to run me off the road before. Even though I obey traffic laws while bicycling or driving vehicles on the road

Originally Posted By: Popinski
6. People, mostly with women, who climbs back into their car while pumping gas. I'm tired of watching precious fuel flood the place because of an unattended pump.

Guilty! I fill out my mileage logs while staying warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back