Could a fuel system addtive make exhaust stink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
any sort of exhaust usually needs to burn off a little bit, however I have seen people that have over-dosed their fuel system additive and in high concentration levels you could smell a difference. I don't think that you should smell anything different if you added the recommended amount. But again, you have two many variables at the moment to rule anything out.

well on the back it said up to 20 gal I ran my tank way down installed a new fuel pump dumped that in and filled it my tank only holds 15gal so would that be over doing it?

Well, when I dose my motorcycles with the proper amount of Stabil for the winter, the (non-cat) exhaust does smell different, but I can't say it stinks.

Maybe you do have a plastic bag! Those buggers can melt right onto an exhaust pipe and sit there and smoke and smolder. This has happened to me before--my car picked up a plastic bag which then melted onto the hot catalytic converter.

Does your car use oil? Sometimes oil burning can smell nasty.

With my wife's Nissan Quest, just changing gasoline brands sometimes makes the exhaust smell weird. Sunoco smells fine, Mobil smells like sulfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back