Do many motorcycle oils really meet Harley specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: harley145000
boraticus,very nice bike's you have.they look like show pieces.

Thanks for the compliments but both are riders. I put a couple thousand miles on the RD400 last year and will be doing the same on the RD350 this year. They're just too much fun to leave sitting in the garage. The KLR and Valkyrie only come out when I'm either going to be doing some dirt road riding or taking the wife for a cruise on the Valkyrie.

A neighbour of mine managed to pick up a 1986 RD with just 158km (ie less than 100 miles) a few weeks ago. Rubber is shot but the motor isn't even broken in yet.

Originally Posted By: TucsonDon
Bikes from that era bring a tear to my eye ... lots of memories of a relatively carefree life riding motorcycles up and down country roads and across fields.

Way back when I had a little Honda CL-70. Seems tiny by today's standards, but I'll tell you this -- I had more fun on that thing than I can describe.

I'm lucky to still be alive, though -- I was foolishly reckless on the darn thing.
crazy2.gif

I know what you mean bud.

They say you can never go back... and that's true. However, I find a certain sense rejuvenation and satisfaction bringing old bikes of my youth back to life. Certain bikes made milestones in motorcycle history. Sure, there were the Brit & other European bikes and Harleys over the ages. However, despite their popularity and enduring pasts, they didn't have the same, sudden and overwhelming impact these old Japanes two strokes did when they arrived in the west.

Back in the late '60s early '70s, $900.00 would buy a smoking little hot rod that would blow the doors off of bikes with three or four times their displacement. Some were straight line screaming rockets like the vicious Kawasaki Mach III. Others were powerful quick little twins like the 250cc Suzuki X6 Hustler, sophisticated Bridgestone 350 and the race bred, nimble Yamaha RDs.

Whenever I ride one of my RDs, I'm grinning ear to ear. Trust me. These aren't comfy bikes. Suspension is choppy, acceleration is moderate until the tach gets to 6000 rpm then the power comes on like a light switch. Instant acceleration and pulls pretty ferociously right up to 9500. They can carve corners better than most people can ride them. All the time with a wicked two stroke wail. And let's not forget the intoxicating perfume of two stroke exhaust.

Ahhh, those were the days.... and every once in a while I get to re-live them, just a little bit.

Last edited:
If I had the skills, I'd seek out an early Honda CB750 and restore it. To a 11 year old boy in 1970, there simply wasn't anything more compelling than that bike.

Doesn't the "HD" stand for "Hundred Dollars"? Everytime you buy something from Harley is is at least a hundred dollars....

If I had the skills, I'd seek out an early Honda CB750 and restore it. To a 11 year old boy in 1970, there simply wasn't anything more compelling than that bike.

I saw a local add for one a few weeks ago. I think it was a blue '74. Didn't look too bad. Believe me, I was tempted. Then I saw another almost mint CB500 with the stock four into one exhaust and started drooling over that. I had to kick myself in the a$$. I've already got four running bikes on the road in the garage and three more not roadworthy yet in my storage shed and another operating dirt bike at camp. A guy just has to know when to stop. Still love to have one of the Hondas though!!

Bikes from that era bring a tear to my eye ... lots of memories of a relatively carefree life riding motorcycles up and down country roads and across fields.

I'm lucky to still be alive, though -- I was foolishly reckless on the darn thing.
crazy2.gif

Yeah, no doubt....my best memories are of all the nice girls who rode on the back of my RD350....if I had to do it all over again...I would do it all over again....
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back