Lift-Master garage door opener chain lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you guys use on the chain - plain old engine oil or should I use a bike chain lube like White Lightning or Finish Line?

Per there web site

Use a small amount of silicon lubricant to lube the chain, door rollers, bearings, and hinges. The opener does not require additional lubrication. Do not grease the door tracks.

Silicone lubricant is a very poor metal on metal lube.

I would think that a good chain lube would work great.

I use MPC SL-10 oil/grease mixture on my screw drive and door rollers (the metal contact areas, not the rails).

Originally Posted By: EdMcCormick
Per there web site

Use a small amount of silicon lubricant to lube the chain, door rollers, bearings, and hinges. The opener does not require additional lubrication. Do not grease the door tracks.

Maybe, but what they don't tell you is that inside many of these garage door openers is a plastic (nylon) worm gear assembly that will wear out if you don't occasionally add some plastic-safe grease (I use white-lithium grease). I lube mine every few years, 20 year old LiftMaster still working great.

Don't be surprised if you open up the unit and see a bunch of white plastic dust in there, that's what happens if you cycle your door a lot and rely on "factory lube" to last years beyond the warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back