Chain cleaner and lube

I know, I know this topic can EASILY derail (pun intended). Just curious if anybody has tried some of the cleaner&lube combination products out there? Finish Line and Stabil both have one that comes to mind, probably many others.

To date, I've been very happy with my old school degreasing and reapplying lube of choice... but always happy to simplify! Especially on bikes that the kids use and abuse.

I've gone to dry lube personally, which requires degreasing much less often. But that may or may not be appropriate for others depending on location. It also requires more frequently lubing of the chain.

you may try moto chain sprays, but road bikes have hi speeds so the spray is very tacky....
look for offroad...
it has solvents so you flush and lube at same time.

i´m fully on wax, goodbye oil...

I know, I know this topic can EASILY derail (pun intended). Just curious if anybody has tried some of the cleaner&lube combination products out there? Finish Line and Stabil both have one that comes to mind, probably many others.

To date, I've been very happy with my old school degreasing and reapplying lube of choice... but always happy to simplify! Especially on bikes that the kids use and abuse.
Don't you wipe the chain down with a clean rag after you apply lube to it and allow a minute or 2 for it to push out the old dirt?

I use WD-40 as a solvent to clean the chain, with the Park scrubber tool. Dry with a shop rag. Then apply chainsaw bar oil, which has a tackifier agent that reduces sling-off.
It's inexpensive and effective, even on extreme endurance rides like La Ruta, WRIAD and OTGG.
I buy WD-40 and bar oil in gallon containers for about $25 and $15 respectively, which is a multi-year supply.

Over the years I've tried various bike-specific cleaners and lubes, too many to count. I found none of them work any better than the above. And they are way more expensive.

I soak mine in diesel and use nylon brush to clean, then soak in bar lube, then hang to drip dry. and wipe off. it's been the best iv found. the second best is chain wax from Honda. now who makes it idk. but it's a decent product. I still prefer the soaking method, I do it at every oil change.

I do this daily, for a living. I have an ultrasonic cleaner at work. Finish Line One Step is without question the greatest thing going. I’ve been a professional bicycle mechanic for 45 years. Many products have gotten worse. One Step works great. When I was at the height of my powers as a cyclist professional mechanics used diesel or kerosene in a coffee can with a brush. That’s what this reminds me of. It’s fabulous. I like to follow it with some Boeshield.

Lately I have been taking the chain and dropping into a 1L soda bottle, dump in some mineral spirits, shake. Fish it out, quick spray eith brake cleaner, let dry a bit. Coworker gave me some expensive dry lube, Gold something or another, which avoids the dirt (but I’m not sure lasts long).

Let the bottle sit a week or two, all the crud settles to the bottom. Carefully drain into a new bottle when doing this job again, and toss bottle with crud at the bottom.

I'm still using mineral spirits to clean and ATF to lube my chains.
My son has switched over to waxing the chain using Silca's secret chain blend.
We both get about the same mileage out of a chain, with the caveat that he tends to ride in any weather, and is pretty neglectful on maintenance. I'm more a dry weather rider and probably over-maintain my bikes.
With that in mind, the wax may be the better lube in my opinion. I will likely be switching.

Wax works well and is clean, but I've found it has a few drawbacks. It doesn't last as long as oil on ultra endurance days, water washes it out quickly, and it requires periodically removing the chain from the bike to reapply.
Several times on ultra endurance MTB rides I have helped other riders whose wax failed, I applied oil from my pack to get them through the rest of the day.
That said, wax is cleaner than oil and can be better for dry dusty conditions if you aren't riding a lot of miles that day. It's also slightly more efficient, though the difference is only marginal.

MTB gets all kinds of crap on chains. Oiled chain drowned in "forest grit water" sounds very bad. With waxed you pressure wash, and get few more rides from it, until melting again.
Pita is to remove factory grease, all else is cake.
That’s my thought as well...I’m reading all the comments on various techniques thinking...I couldn’t do that where I ride, by the time I’m done with a 2 hour ride the chain would be have 3 inches of mud/dirt/leafs/and tree branches stuck to it. I know because I’ve tried.

check out Park Tool cyclone cm-5.3 chain scrubber,,works great,,only $29.95,,,get their cleaner solvent,,,nice tool to have if you bike alot,though my bicycling day are over sigh,,,

check out Park Tool cyclone cm-5.3 chain scrubber,,works great,,only $29.95,,,get their cleaner solvent,,,nice tool to have if you bike alot,though my bicycling day are over sigh,,,

Yeah, I have the Nashbar branded version of that and it works well. Slightly messy, though. Plus it naturally leaves all the degreaser on the chain unless you spray it down after.

If I happen to have the pressure washer out for some other reason, I also clean off the bike chain and greasy parts. It's by far the easiest, most efficient. Lube chain with whatever motor oil I have handy.

Something like this I also sometimes use:
chain_cleaner_tool.jpg

Except use whatever solvent you have around that's inexpensive. Gasoline works great in this type of chain cleaner.

If I happen to have the pressure washer out for some other reason, I also clean off the bike chain and greasy parts. It's by far the easiest, most efficient. Lube chain with whatever motor oil I have handy.

Something like this I also sometimes use:
View attachment 170748

Except use whatever solvent you have around that's inexpensive. Gasoline works great in this type of chain cleaner.
Motor oil? cheap I'm sure, but doesn't that attract dirt?

For a while I was using a wet lube, and oh boy did that turn black--and fast.

Back