Chain cleaner and lube

I clean the chain often enough that it's not an issue.
Ah. I might do it once a month, which is a few hundred miles. Too much work otherwise. I'm ok with only 1,000 miles or so for chain life, it's not like they are going to last forever.

At least I think its 1,000 miles... oddly enough, I don't do any sort of logbook for my bicycles. I ride for exercise and stress, and pretty much do as little work on my bike as possible (ok that's about what I do with my cars too).

Except use whatever solvent you have around that's inexpensive. Gasoline works great in this type of chain cleaner.
I use WD-40 as a cleaning solvent. I find it as effective as gasoline, but less harsh. It's pricey but available in gallon containers for about $30, which lasts for years.

Motor oil? cheap I'm sure, but doesn't that attract dirt?

For a while I was using a wet lube, and oh boy did that turn black--and fast.
The theory I've heard is that modern auto/motor oils have detergents. They're designed to hold onto grit so they can get filtered by the filter. So I use ND or non-detergent oil, designed for motors without oil filters like lawnmowers and compressors. The one I use had positive reviews from people using it in their Model T (!) because it also doesn't use oil filters.

How much this really matters, iunno, but the ND is usually cheaper than regular motor oil, so not hard to push me in that direction.

I use a Park chain scrubber with mineral spirits. Chain lube of choice is Squirt. It is wax based, tested as low friction, and to me, it just feels fast. I got nine years out of my last chain with no measurable stretch using the tape measure method (one foot), or a chain gage. I replaced it due to broken side plates.

You need to try Finish Line One Step. It takes moments with a microfiber cloth and leaves the chain gleaming. I clean a dozen chains a day and haven’t used the giant buzzing parts cleaner in weeks.

I use a Park chain scrubber with mineral spirits. Chain lube of choice is Squirt. It is wax based, tested as low friction, and to me, it just feels fast. I got nine years out of my last chain with no measurable stretch using the tape measure method (one foot), or a chain gage. I replaced it due to broken side plates.
Mileage?

On my road bike, I have a Campa 9spd chain that just refuses to die. Only the second chain this bike ever had... and it's on since july 2001.
Must have close to 10.000km now. (Wasnt riding much for over 15 years due to reasons such as being in the army and often being transferred between garrisions which made bringing a bike difficult, and later being a long-distance weekend commuter, so no time etc. Only really started riding again in 2020 when I got a job close to home).
Last half of these kms with drip-on wax (squirt lube).

My rigide mountain bike turned commuter / utility bike eats through chains like there's no tomorrow, though. Doesn't matter if original 8spd Shimano or cheap clone, doesn't matter if wet or dry lube, after 3000km they get noisy, and after ~4500km they're overdone.

Have to admit that the commuter doesn't get even half the love and care that the road bike does, even though it's much more useful. Kind of unfair, but such is life...

Last edited:
Most quality bicycle chains with proper cleaning & lubrication will go at least 6000 miles before they need replacing, sometimes longer.
That really depends on where you live and whether you ride on or off road, and in inclement weather.

A road bike used in Arizona with dry lube appiled as directed and regularly cleaned, very possible.

A commuter in Seattle in the rain, you'll be lucky to get 1500 no matter how much chain maintenance you do. I know some ultradistance guys from Seattle and sometimes they replace their chain after every event if it's pouring down rain the whole time.

Mountain bikes are a whole other deal and also use dependent.

That really depends on where you live and whether you ride on or off road, and in inclement weather.
Mountain bikes are a whole other deal and also use dependent.
True. On the MTB I clean & lube the chain after every technical/trail ride. It's a SRAM XX1 11-speed and gives about half the mileage compared to the road bike, typically 1 full year of riding or about 3000 miles. I tried a Shimano chain on the MTB once, it worked fine but only lasted for a single 5-day stage ride (OTGG), about 350 miles and it was toast. And that was cleaning & lubing it every day before the ride.

I've been using bar oil (for chainsaws) for years on my bike, cheap and already in my garage for my saw anyway.

When I'm too lazy to take off the chain or to use my Park Tool chain cleaner I hold a rag under a section of chain and spray from the top with chlorinated brake cleaner. The lube of my choice is Dumonde Tech.

I had to clean a really disgusting chain today. It was not only caked in grime but also full of sand. I should probably have replaced it but I decided to try the WD40 specialty chain cleaner on it. It worked quite well. It kind of reminded me of the old Gunk engine brite, before they dumbed it down. It foamed and really attacked the grime. Not magic, but effective with scrubbing, hosing, and compressed air. I’d give it an A-.

Back