FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buickmaster
$10 that's nuts. pep boys $7 for the win

Yep. Everything's more expensive in Hawaii. Ever heard of a "Maui Dollar"?
19.gif

Originally Posted By: jesbo
Originally Posted By: buickmaster
$10 that's nuts. pep boys $7 for the win

Yep. Everything's more expensive in Hawaii. Ever heard of a "Maui Dollar"?
19.gif

Sounds exactly like the "Canadian Dollar"! I paid around C$9.50 per liter for my stash. But at least it's green!

I just took advantage of the sale at AutoZone, picking up some 5W40 European. After a little research, I am very impressed that the HT/HS rating of this oil is 4.50. That is compared to M1 0W40 being at 3.60.

I am eager to give it a try in the boy's new Rabbit!

By the way, while I am responding, would anyone suggest the Castrol 0W30 European for the 2.5L VW engine in the cold [censored] of winter?

One last question....If I run Castrol for 5k miles and want to send a sample to Blackstone, without draining the oil, how is the best way to do that? I was thinking of doing a test at 5k miles, then 7.5k miles and then...if it makes 10k miles (as recommended by my manual)....do UOA at 10k when I drain and change.

Correction....I shouldn't call it "European".

On the front of the bottle is printed the following....

"Specially formulated to meet the needs of BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volkswagen"

On the back.....

VW 502.00, 505.00
BMW Longlife-98
MB-Approval 229.3

...just three of several approvals/certifications.

Originally Posted By: BigJohn
By the way, while I am responding, would anyone suggest the Castrol 0W30 European for the 2.5L VW engine in the cold [censored] of winter?

GC works well for me here during the winter in MN (probably a bit colder than CO). I actually use it year-round in my STi.

Scored 12 quarts of genuine Green GC at an Autozone in rural Alabama during the sale. This store even had a dozen quarts of the old Made in USA stuff, but I passed on that. Now if he had made me a manager's special deal on those USA bottles, I might have taken him up. Unfortunately, he just looked a big dumbfounded because I was making such a big deal out of it. The green GC is going into my wife's "new to us" 2004 BMW 530i ASAP.

Still POA. The only difference from the old formula to the new appears to be a little less CA and a little more of some other additives (I think Boron and Magnesium) based on UOAs. Appears to still be POA based on not Group III.

Originally Posted By: rainman49
Scored 12 quarts of genuine Green GC at an Autozone in rural Alabama during the sale. This store even had a dozen quarts of the old Made in USA stuff, but I passed on that. Now if he had made me a manager's special deal on those USA bottles, I might have taken him up. Unfortunately, he just looked a big dumbfounded because I was making such a big deal out of it. The green GC is going into my wife's "new to us" 2004 BMW 530i ASAP.

Sounds good. Those e60s are nice cars :).

This thread has convinced me to give the GC a try on my next change. Currently i'm running M1 0w-40 in my 2000 BMW 328i.

Also, the links to "theoildrop" in the FAQ dont seem to be working for me. I'd like to see some of this information. Anyone know if it, or something similar, has been posted elsewhere?

Has anybody run GC in an engine that is spec'd for 5W-20 / 0W-20. I have a 2008 Tacoma 4 cylinder that I am thinking about putting GC in, but hearing the fact that it is a very thick 30 grade oil scares me. But my wife has a Sienna which calls out 5W-30 and I am sure it would do well in her car.

Here is a tough one.....

I highly respect Amsoil and am wondering how Amsoil's best 0w30 stacks up against GC?

Anyone have any specs, numbers or data?

Originally Posted By: Deer_Slayer
Has anybody run GC in an engine that is spec'd for 5W-20 / 0W-20. I have a 2008 Tacoma 4 cylinder that I am thinking about putting GC in, but hearing the fact that it is a very thick 30 grade oil scares me. But my wife has a Sienna which calls out 5W-30 and I am sure it would do well in her car.

I ran GC in a 2006 Civic 1.8l for 7k+ miles with a M1 filter, 5 quart capacity and no makeup oil added. I can email you the UOA its spectacular with a reccomendation of 10k intervals. It's spec'd for 5w20 by Honda.

Just stumbled onto 3 more bottles of M04 at a suburban auto parts store! (Paid full price, but they're green).

Originally Posted By: tilley
Just stumbled onto 3 more bottles of M04 at a suburban auto parts store! (Paid full price, but they're green).

I just bought a bottle of M01, 2 bottles of M04, 3 bottles of M05, and a bottle of M07 at autozone. Almost cleaned them out.

Is oil from 2001 still ok to use?
Can i mix all these together?

Apparently, the M01 is only ACEA A1.

Does anyone ever find this stuff at Walmart or anywhere else other than Autozone or Pepboys (which we don't have in my area)? Wanted to start running it in my 09 Corolla S.

Originally Posted By: Alex38
anywhere else other than Autozone or Pepboys

I haven't seen it anywhere else. Walmarts in Canada apparently carry it, but not the ones in the US.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Alex38
anywhere else other than Autozone or Pepboys

I haven't seen it anywhere else. Walmarts in Canada apparently carry it, but not the ones in the US.

Ok thank you. Guess I'll try stopping at a few Autozones next time I'm out driving around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back