Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the opposite of "too much information......"
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gd9704
grin2.gif

How so? It runs at one speed only and is used 3-4 times per month when it's nice outside. Not a lot of detail to relate, sorry.

Did you have something constructive to add?

Last edited by a moderator:
What do you mean normal weight?

I used to run Amsoil ASL 5w-30 syn oil. Now I run the ASE small engine oil.

I have been running the ASL and ASE for the last 13 years. Honda pressure washer with GSX160 and I even use the Amsoil 15w-40 in the pump.

Runs great. I think syn oil gives longer life, especially if the oil is not changed that often.

Are you asking for recommendations for oil other than the recommended SAE 30?

I'm sort of shocked that Honda doesn't allow for the use of 10W-30. Actually, I just downloaded the manual for your engine from Honda-engines.com and they say:

"SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general use. Other viscosities shown in the chart may be used when the average temperature in your area is within the indicated range."

Honda Manual

I'd use a synthetic 10W-30 of your choice. I like synthetics in outdoor power equipment because of the range of temperatures they can see and because of the inconsistency of air-cooling. Plus, since they use less than a quart, it's not a lot of money.

later,
ben

A good change out equivalent would be Rotella HDEO 30W available at Tractor Supply for about $12 per gallon. It also meets your criteria as a normal weight.

I use HDEO 30 in my washer under the theory that I don't wash when it's cold and when I crank it I run it for a couple hours non-stop. A mower that runs 20-30 minutes would get multi-vis.

I don't go with a synthetic as I change out pretty regular (no filter).

Hi - By 'normal weight' I meant to say like a 10-30, etc.. Since I have a lot of 5/30 and 10-30 around (partial bottles and the 160 takes not a whole lot)..

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
What do you mean normal weight?

I used to run Amsoil ASL 5w-30 syn oil. Now I run the ASE small engine oil.

I have been running the ASL and ASE for the last 13 years. Honda pressure washer with GSX160 and I even use the Amsoil 15w-40 in the pump.

Runs great. I think syn oil gives longer life, especially if the oil is not changed that often.

Hi there

I'll have to check the manual I have again, but it came with a 'Karcher SEA 30 HD' quart bottle. I got it last Summer so I did one change before I stored it for the winter and wanted to do another this weekend. I have an almost-full 1030 pennz plat (my air compressor specs synth 10-30 and I got 2 quarts).

Thanks for your thoughts on the synth, that's what I was hoping I go over to.

Originally Posted By: kd5byb
Are you asking for recommendations for oil other than the recommended SAE 30?

I'm sort of shocked that Honda doesn't allow for the use of 10W-30. Actually, I just downloaded the manual for your engine from Honda-engines.com and they say:

"SAE 10W-30 is recommended for general use. Other viscosities shown in the chart may be used when the average temperature in your area is within the indicated range."

Honda Manual

I'd use a synthetic 10W-30 of your choice. I like synthetics in outdoor power equipment because of the range of temperatures they can see and because of the inconsistency of air-cooling. Plus, since they use less than a quart, it's not a lot of money.

later,
ben

My Honda engine is 13 yr old The manual says I can use 30 wt above 45F.
5w-30 up to 32F and the graph shows 10w-30 from 0 F to 85F

But it also says that 10w-30 can be used for general all temp use. I figure with a good syn oil whether it's any of those three weights is no biggie.

It sounds like Honda wants you to use a good 10w-30 for the most part. My engine takes 20oz of oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gd9704
grin2.gif

Sorry MH, guess I was feeling cantankerous last night.

I just didn't know what "it" and "normal" referred to.

I should have just asked for clarification.

My apologies......

Originally Posted By: Tom_T
I don't go with a synthetic as I change out pretty regular (no filter).

I'm very anal-retentive - I do both: I use synthetic and I change it frequently.
wink.gif

I've got a Craftsman push-mower that I use maybe 4 hours a year to do the places in my lawn where I can't get the lawn tractor. I use synthetic and every year I drain out new looking oil and pour in another pint of new synthetic.

It's a disease.
wink.gif

later,
b

My Karcher with Honda GCV160 came with a 1/2 quart bottle of 30W as well. I put that oil in my sisters 160,000 mile Camry (runs great but leaks lots of oil). I put Mobil 15w-40 in Honda, and then ran it for 30 minutes to break it in. I then drained and refilled with Mobil 1 5w-40, ran couple hours, repeat drain and filled with Mobil 1 5w-40. Change oil every other year. Been happy ever since. Philip.

Straight HDEO 30 wt can't be beat. I run 15w-40 because I have extra from oil changes. And 90wt differential oil in the pump as reommended by a guy that has a pressure wash busisness .

Originally Posted By: Steve S
And 90wt differential oil in the pump as reommended by a guy that has a pressure wash busisness .

I can't believe that 90wt gear oil can be used in place of the pressure pump oil. That's a huge difference in viscosity.

Quote:
I've got a Craftsman push-mower that I use maybe 4 hours a year to do the places in my lawn where I can't get the lawn tractor. I use synthetic and every year I drain out new looking oil and pour in another pint of new synthetic.
It's a disease.

I know what you mean...
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: carlprop
And 90wt differential oil in the pump as reommended by a guy that has a pressure wash busisness .

I can't believe that 90wt gear oil can be used in place of the pressure pump oil. That's a huge difference in viscosity.

Mine doesn't have pump oil that I can replace.. I feel left out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: carlprop

How so?

Remember the viscosity ratings for motor oil and engine oils are different scales. Straight 90wt gear lube is nearly equivilent to a 40wt engine oil.

you should be more worried about your pump than the GC160 Honda.

I have a "Pressure Wave" power washer with the 5.5 hp Honda GC160.

The pump went out after 2.5 years. I had an extended warranty so it was covered.

The owner of the repair shop told me to maintain the pump to guard against corrosion and hard water deposit build up in the pump which led to it's failure.

When you are done with the unit for the day, tip it forward and try to let the water drip out of the input of the pump.

Also rig up a funnel connected to a 3 foot piece of garden hose and connect it to the input of the pump. Pour some antifreeze in it and fill up the pump.

Or buy the aerosol can of pump cleaner/protectanct that has a hose connection. It connects up and you can spray it into the pump.

As for the Honda GC 160, thats a very very common Honda engine. It's put on genorators, mowers, washers, pumps, etc etc.

Right now mine has MoCraft 5-20 with a good shot of Valvoline Synthetic Oil Boost. I change it out when it discolors bad or every season, which ever comes first.

If I still had my Maxlife stash, I would use that.

Try Valvoline MaxLife HD 30 or 10-30. Perfect for you application!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back