Is 260F too hot for oil?

I have a Honda gx390 powered 4gpm pressure washer. At maximum power it runs 4,000rpm, has about 30 degrees of ignition timing advance and runs wide open throttle.
Seemed like it ran pretty hot. So I found a oil temperature gauge that goes in the dipstick hole to see how hot.
I ran it on a nice 80F day. The oil topped out at 260F. I figure on a 100F day that could make for 280F oil.
That seems a bit hot.

Oil temp of 260°F is fine for that engine. The head is probably 100°F hotter than that. Just use good oil, and you'll be fine.

I see 210F max in summer with the AC on and highway speeds in the Gen Coupe. Otherwise it runs around 10F over coolant at 190F. Winter it struggles to get above 160F. New JD zero turn was running 250F on a hot day after hour and a half.

I put some Mobil1 v-twin 20w-50 oil in there at least for break in. As I rebuilt the engine with new block, new piston, new rings, connecting rod and tappets. I got it used and was burning as much oil as fuel.
Do you run E0 Fuel?

I have a rider with a single cylinder Briggs and I've checked the side of the case at the sump with a temp gun after mowing heavy grass for an hour and never got a reading above 200f. Granted it's usually under 80 on my hottest mowing days, here.

I have a rider with a single cylinder Briggs and I've checked the side of the case at the sump with a temp gun after mowing heavy grass for an hour and never got a reading above 200f. Granted it's usually under 80 on my hottest mowing days, here.
Mowers are usually limited to something like 3,000rpm and don't run wide open throttle.
Other engines I have checked that don't run 3,600rpm and constant wide open throttle have all topped out under 200f.

I had Ryobi 3200psi pressure washer with Honda motor and I would make my exhaust manifold glow red after I'm done with my driveway. Those motors work hard.

I had Ryobi 3200psi pressure washer with Honda motor and I would make my exhaust manifold glow red after I'm done with my driveway. Those motors work hard.
Try advancing the ignition timing. Too much heat going out of the exhaust with stock timing. I run mine 30 degrees advanced.
If you have the Honda digital ignition, which your newer Honda engine likey does backing the ignition coil away from the flywheel as far as it will go will give you about 4 more degrees timing advance for free.
I did it to mine and verified with my timing light.

Try advancing the ignition timing. Too much heat going out of the exhaust with stock timing. I run mine 30 degrees advanced.
If you have the Honda digital ignition, which your newer Honda engine likey does backing the ignition coil away from the flywheel as far as it will go will give you about 4 more degrees timing advance for free.
I did it to mine and verified with my timing light.
Dang. I should have known that a while back. Sold that thing, but I'll keep that info for next time. My current DeWalt runs great and no glowing muffler.

My car has an oil temperature gauge in the gauge cluster. Even when going all out on the track the oil temperature gauge has never read about 240*F. Now, a caveat: the gauge is controlled by the engine computer (DME).

Back