motorcycle coolant

Status
Not open for further replies.
My bike came with the green (yzf600r) and i have been changing it with green and not really paying much attention, until now.

I read that most/all motorcycles require a silicate free antifreeze. Well, the only ones I see that have no silicates are the 5yr/150,000 type.

Are all green coolants the same and do they have silicates in them?

Am I making a big deal of nothing? If I look at the back of the container and there is no mention of silicates, I guess that would be good.

You should use the silicate free coolant. Silicate is a sand like substance that is used to basically knock off rust and scale. But it will eat away at MC water pumps and other aluminum parts.
BTW, "Prestone 5/150 extended use" is silicate free and is what i use in my bike.

Many Hondas (and possibly other Japanese products) have a coolant which doesn't have silicates, but it has phosphates.

I have never seen an aftermarket coolant which is a non-silicate coolant with phosphates. Either they have no silicates and no phosphates, or they have silicates.

Buy the OE stuff, it doesn't cost too much for the engine it protects.

Just got rid of my 1980 KZ1300 which ran "green" stuff. No problems. The trick is to change it regularly.

Engine Ice is a favorite. Most shops have it on the shelf. It's blue.

Or you can use the Prestone Extended life stuff - like me. No phospates or silicates. I believe mose of the extended life coolant is like that - but it pays to read the label.

The silicates are not kind to your motorcycle cooling system.

And all this time I thought motorcycle coolant was air and motor oil (even on my old metrics). Yes I know I didn't add to the discussion.

What JonS posted ^^^

Magnesium and sand cast alum cases and pump housings are the worst for it. On some motors it'll chew the impellers up and can abraid the seals. I've experienced it personally on my own stuff. Even if you've never had problems (lots of my bike haven't either), better safe than sorry.

Originally Posted By: EagleFTE
And all this time I thought motorcycle coolant was air and motor oil (even on my old metrics). Yes I know I didn't add to the discussion.

Actually you did. Got a chuckle out of that one.... and a rememberance of bikes.... since forgotten.
beer3.gif

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
As far a the Honda coolant goes, the same stuff at a Honda auto dealer is cheaper than the cycle shop gets.

+1 The Honda Type 2 automotive coolant is excellent, about $13 a gallon from Honda car dealers. It's colored blue now, but is pretty much the same as the older Honda HP Green. The Honda bike shops sell the Honda HP green for about $4/litre, (Remember, coolant color is now meaningless to identify different types.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back