Waxing, Washing Winter Time etc ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

So I have garage but its not heated ... is there point in waxing car when its cold ?:)

Waxing will at least help keep some of that salt off of it for a bit. Waxing won't do any good if you can't get it to stick and dry. Home Depot and Lowe's have sales on 120V space heaters now. That might be a viable option for you.

Yeah,, I was thinking about heater .. but if so I will go with Propane .. So I can control my expenses ..

Thank You Sir :)

I've never had much luck when waxing a vehicle when the temp is below about 60 deg F. The wax just won't dry. And dry is what you need when removing the wax otherwise it will just smear and take forever to get the job done. Prior to winter, if you can get your last coat of wax on the paint when the outside temp is in the higher ranges, like around 70 deg F then you'll have a much better end result. Then use a quick detail product after washing during the colder temperatures.

Originally Posted By: Lucky
Eagle One Wax As U Dry - it will work very well as a touch up on top of wax.

Lucky,
I love that stuff! I use it regularly on all of my vehicles.

I've waxed my car in the winter in my garage before, even though it's not heated. I simply bring in one of those little electric heaters you can get from Walmart, and try to get the temperature in the garage up to about 50F, that way the wax won't take forever to dry.

The propane heater is a good idea, so is the Wax As U Dry. Eagle One Nano spray wax would work good as well. I have my water hose hooked up to my hot water heater for when it's really cold, got to keep that salt off!

Originally Posted By: Patman
I've waxed my car in the winter in my garage before, even though it's not heated. I simply bring in one of those little electric heaters you can get from Walmart, and try to get the temperature in the garage up to about 50F, that way the wax won't take forever to dry.

I pretty much do the same thing. I have an old portable hose reel that I keep in the basement, and connect it to the outside water spigot and use that for washing the van/suv. So far so good, its been working 11 years in this house. Then I take it into the garage with the oil filled electric radiators and wax it. The oil filled radiators are about $40 at Home Depot and make doing winter repairs and waxing a lot more pleasant.

Frank D

I try and wax in the sunshine during winter. Unless your car is white, the paint can get pretty warm on a nice bright winter's day. Just turn the car around to finish the shaded side in the sun.

Drew

I've been successful waxing in an unheated garage.

I drive the car for a bit, pull it in to the garage and open the hood of the car. The heat from the engine warms up my garage noticeably. I use a space heater too, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes. This is probably successful because I have a one car garage.

Fans and moving air do a lot of good as well.

For my one-stall garage, I use a 1500W space heater, one halogen light that I can move around at will, and a fan to keep air circulating.

I try to get a good detail in sometime in November, then just use a wax-as-u-dry throughout the gut of winter. It seems to hold up ok until March when it's warm enough again to detail.

How/what do you guys do as far as washing when it's below 32 degrees? Or even less than 40 degrees is still pretty darn cold to be gettin wet!
05.gif

^ Optimum No Rinse Wash and Shine (ONR) -- inside closed garage. If the vehicle is real nasty, I first will spray it off at the nearest "pay and spray".

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Yeah,, I was thinking about heater .. but if so I will go with Propane .. So I can control my expenses ..

Please keep in mind that Carbon Monoxide poisoning may become an issue if some types of heaters are used in a location that does not have adequate ventilation. I am not sure about Propane, but would be very cautious and do some research before using one to heat a garage. IMHO an electric heater would be the safest approach.

Originally Posted By: Ndx

You may be able to find one of these cheaper than this seller, but the product is a good alternative to a combustion style heater, especially in a garage environment:

http://www.heater-home.com/product/G73.aspx

Wax won't protect an undercarriage against salts. Regular washing is the best maintenance. As preferred as hand washing is, it doesn't feel very good in January and February. So as much as I hate it, in the winter we bite the bullet, accept the swirls, and run all but one vehicle through an automatic wash every month or two. The one car plays garage queen during the winter.

It's still nice to have a heated garage in any event!

I've got a new plan for this winter. As in previous winters, I will continue with my Saturday morning appointments at the local detail shop to get them to do a full proper handwash. But the newest plan is that the rest of the week I will get my car washed every single day at a touchless car wash. I've got a "season pass" at the local one, it cost me $150 for 90 days. During that time I can get one car wash per day. It doesn't do as good of a job as the full handwash, but it's a better alternative to leaving the car dirty in between it's weekly washings at the detail shop. Having the underbody flushed daily of any salt residue will certainly help a lot, plus I'll also get the "clearcoat protection" as well, which I know isn't as good as a true wax, but if it's being applied to the paint every day it certainly has to help protect it somewhat.

The one thing I always hated the most about past winters was that I only got to see my car clean for maybe one or two days out of every week. Now with this new plan the car will never be dirty for very long! It's well worth the $150 to me!

Originally Posted By: Patman
I've got a new plan for this winter. As in previous winters, I will continue with my Saturday morning appointments at the local detail shop to get them to do a full proper handwash. But the newest plan is that the rest of the week I will get my car washed every single day at a touchless car wash. I've got a "season pass" at the local one, it cost me $150 for 90 days. During that time I can get one car wash per day. It doesn't do as good of a job as the full handwash, but it's a better alternative to leaving the car dirty in between it's weekly washings at the detail shop. Having the underbody flushed daily of any salt residue will certainly help a lot, plus I'll also get the "clearcoat protection" as well, which I know isn't as good as a true wax, but if it's being applied to the paint every day it certainly has to help protect it somewhat.

The one thing I always hated the most about past winters was that I only got to see my car clean for maybe one or two days out of every week. Now with this new plan the car will never be dirty for very long! It's well worth the $150 to me!

Great Idea. I am going to see if my touchless wash has a season pass.

I would not count on that scented water(clear coat protection)

Perhaps have the detail shop wax the car once now, so your good for the winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back