Best Conventional Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically...whats the best conventional oil out there today? I'm a firm believer in synthetics...and run M1 and PP in the cars I maintain...but there's still those out there who believe they only need conventional. I want to know what to recommend to them, backed up with iron clad fact from the oil source, BITOG.

Lets say...for a 5k OCI with a good filter...is there one brand that stands out over another for quality, detergents, etc?

The API and ILSAC specs are quality floors--and who's to say that every part of every batch meets spec? They probably meet spec on average.

Some oils are made better for competitive reasons. In 15W-40, Schaeffer Moly Bond X-200 is clearly superior to other conventional oils.

In passenger car grades, there might be some smaller outfits with premium products...I don't have brands at hand. Among the biggies, I think Johnny has said that Shell positions their products in this quality order...Pennz, Shell, Quaker State. I've had excellent results with Chevron. I'd look to Chevron, Pennz, BP's Castrol, Mobil.

I use Schaeffer's syn blend oils with 10,000 mile oil & filter drain intervals, get excellent lab results, and have a lower oil & filter cost per mile than a cheaper oil with 5k ODI.

Originally Posted By: W_John_C
Lets say...for a 5k OCI with a good filter...is there one brand that stands out over another for quality, detergents, etc?

My two most favorite oils are Valvoline and Exxon Superflo; they've worked out well for me over the years.

There really is no "best" oil. I tend to choose oils that are supposedly "ASE mechanic's top choice" so I tend to use Valvoline and Castrol GTX. PepBoys has a nice sale on Castrol right now, unless its already over.

If you change your oil every 3k miles, you could use super tech oil and filter. Its API SM rated.

Originally Posted By: pbm
My favorite is Pennzoil but like everybody says---any SM rated oil should be fine.

Pennzoil outsells all others by a wide margin. It's not economically priced, so folks do like it best.

Any name brand SM.

I have mainly used Pennzoil and Valvoline, but wouldn't hesitate to use Castrol, Mobil Clean 5000, or Quaker State.

If I HAD to say the BEST conventional out there at THIS moment, I would say Pennzoil. It's results are always excellent. I think Valvoline is also probably the most underrated oil on these boards.

My Dad always used and preferred Valvoline in all of his cars for many years. Little surprise that that is my oil preference as well. I have used 10W-30 and HD30 Valvoline dinos for over 20 years. No lubrication problems at all.
Today I run 10W-30 SynPower in my T-100 V6 and a 2007 Tacoma V6. Will send off my first UOA on the Tacoma's next oil change
M1 oils run a close second favorite for me. Next time I see PP on sale I plan on buying some; I have never used Pennzoil products but since I have read so many good reviews of it here I think I will run it in the future.
Like someone mentioned earlier here: Any SM rated oil API/ILSAC is fine. Oils have come a long way in their lubricating properties.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter. As long as you change the oil 2-3 times a year, it's all the same, IMO. I have neglected my Civic in the past, running Supertech with a Fram filter for thousands of miles, and I have just recently began taking better care of it. But the car has 190k miles on it and still runs great, and has never had any breakage due to oiling. I've gone as much as changing it twice a year on Supertech and it was fine. Just make sure it's topped off and don't worry about it. Now I realize that some are anal about it and some cars may require more attention. But the average vehicle will run a long time just as long as it has some sort of oil in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back