can pepboys replaces my timing belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if they would use Honda belt or the generics.

i trust the local pepboys more than i trust any shop around here. car is 02 accord v6 w/ 62k miles. i think the change interval is 105kmiles but not sure the year. i use this car 3 times and about 200 miles a week so it is no sitter.

I'd let it got for a while. DIY might be the way to go. frankly, as far as PepBoys, I would not even attempt doing the job with their brand of TOOLS. Think about that.

i have a few things at peps w/out any complain. i dont trust anyone else and dealership may try the lift and no replace on me as 62k is low mileage for honda belt so it may or may not break for any 30k miles, just in time to keep them out of troble.

i need to check the date interval but i think it's 6 year.

Ask to inspect the belt they plan to use before doing the work. Make note of any printing on the belt. Then it should be pretty simple to know if they did it or not. Well at least on my VW it takes about 30 seconds to remove the cover and take a look at it.

how u o that at dealership where they make u wait for 3hrs while the take your car in the back?

i like the local peps as i have seen them actually do the work they charge. i sit in the restaurant across the parking lot and use my binoc to check on them. happy camper so far but i don't know if they wd use hona belt or have someone that do belt regularl;y enough to do it right.

I'm glad you have that much faith in them. I certainly wouldn't trust them to change a timing belt on any of my vehicles. I'd find a well respected indy.

Wait till 100K miles to change the Tbelt in your Accord.

How much does PepBoys want for the job ??

My Honda dealer charged $375 for the T-belt, waterpump, all drive belts and my wife got a free loaner car for the day from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Wait till 100K miles to change the Tbelt in your Accord.

How much does PepBoys want for the job ??

My Honda dealer charged $375 for the T-belt, waterpump, all drive belts and my wife got a free loaner car for the day from the dealer.

Book rate for the job alone is 4 or 5 hours, so figure about $400-$500 alone for the labor at $100/hr. Most Pep Boys (at least all the ones that I've talked to) use Dayco parts, but are happy to order parts from the dealer for you if you prefer the dealership part.

My one and only experience with Pep Boys was not good, but then again, the one close to me is in a bad neighborhood, so I guess they probably do not attract the best help. I needed four inexpensive tires to transport a car. I went there and bought four tires. Three were flat by the time the car reached it's destination. ( It was on a flatbed ).
I've done a few timing belts in the past and always used Gates. Never had a comeback.

My horror stories are with Midas, changed my alternator and charged me double labor rate as they won't warranty the work unless I change the serpentine belts as well. Well, somehow they charged me as if they changed my alternator, lowered the car and take it off to slip on the belts as there was a 1.5 hrs labor fee for the belts work.

This Peps has done well by me, which is funny as it is located right off I-95 and next to a Chinese food buffet, which usually spells trouble.

I am not sure how much Peps will charge but I know dealer will want a boat payment for it. I haven't changed timing belts before and figure it is not a DIY project the first try.

What's Gates????

If you like the pep boys near you why are you asking us? We don't know the rep of that specific store.

There can be a bad apple in a bunch of good ones and the reverse can also be true.

For all we know the mechanics running that pep boys are doing so because it's easier to get financing for a franchise or another reason invisible to the consumer.

Gates and Dayco are both good brands. Neither would make a belt so cheap it wouldn't make the honda maintenance interval.

In the 80's it was revealed that sears auto centers had systematic corruption from the top down. Most pep boys complaints I've read about stem from individual incompetence.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
This Peps has done well by me...

Then you're overdue for a royal cock-up. Might as well be on your timing belt.

Last edited:
If you were a good mechanic would you want to work at Pep Boys and admit it?

I would put them in same class as the "mechanics" at Walmart, a place to avoid.

A timing belt on my Camry involves the water pump also, and if its the second time then a tensioner. Would you trust Pep Boys to advise you properly?

If I recall correctly the 02's have the balance shaft belt and timing belt.

That means you should get 2 tensioners, water pump and MUST REPLACE the oil pump seal!!!! Dont forget the valve cover gaskets too. While your at it change the cam and crank seals too.

GATES makes OE honda belts. Dayco or Continental will work just fine too. Conti's seems on the noisy side IMO.

If you dont changet the oil pump seal your just asking for a future leak. On some years honda had TSB's for those seals popping out puking oil everywhere.

If this is your first attempt to doing a timing belt this job is NOT FOR YOU. The 1 nut that secures both tensioners is kinda tricky to adjust the tension of the crank/cam timing belt. Even though the Tbelt tensioner has a securing bolt to adjust the timing belt it will change the tension once you tighten the 1 nut that both tensioners sit in. Hard to visualize but most autotechs on this forum will fully understand what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back