can pepboys replaces my timing belt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything that is a major part of your engine's functioning is not something I would trust to a chain store. I had my timing belt replaced last month and didn't consider taking it anywhere but the dealer, and I'm the president of the National Pennypincher Society. Too important to risk having something messed up.

Find a BOSCH Service Center and ask them if they do the Hondas or where they would send a customer to get it.

If you trust PepBoys, go there. However, I would recommend OEM Honda parts for the job. PepBoys sells inferior imported parts. Honda DOES NOT put their name on any sub-standard parts. Most Honda timing belts are made by Gates, and work remarkably . I wouldn't trust my engine to a cheap Chinese knock-off.

Cheap imported off-brand water pumps aren't something to play with either, because if they leak you need to take the timing belt off to get at it. This means you'll be paying 4 to 5 hours of labor plus parts, for something that was just done. Not worth the risk, IMO. Buy Honda parts and don't worry about it.

OEM may cost a bit more, but parts that are this critical shouldn't be penny pinched.

Also, since your car is relatively new (02) don't worry about time interval for timing belt. Drive it until the mileage interval and then do it. Time interval is just a way to up sell services. Once you get to about 10 or 12 years, that's when time interval applies.

Last edited:
Also, there is no balance shaft on these engines. Forget about oil seals and all that junk that was mentioned before. Those only get replaced when they leak. The only things you will need for this job are the timing belt itself, a water pump, drive belt(s), and possibly a hydraulic tensioner (if it's leaking).

And what's with the Bosch recommendation? I wouldn't touch a Honda with a ten foot Bosch pole. Honda's don't get along with Bosch parts. For a German car, definitely. Japanese cars, stay away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
Also, there is no balance shaft on these engines. Forget about oil seals and all that junk that was mentioned before. Those only get replaced when they leak. The only things you will need for this job are the timing belt itself, a water pump, drive belt(s), and possibly a hydraulic tensioner (if it's leaking).

How often do you find leaking tensioners?

Are tensioner failures common?

Originally Posted By: The Critic

How often do you find leaking tensioners?

Are tensioner failures common?

Dude, I swear that you live on this board. Always popping up out of nowhere.
wink.gif

Anyway, they all leak to some degree. Most just weep a little bit, not a big deal. I would say about 1 out of 3 need replacing. If it was my car, I would replace it just as an insurance factor, kind of like the water pump.

Thanks.

Dude, I swear that you live on this board. Always popping up out of nowhere.
wink.gif

Pablo has me beat.

And what's with the Bosch recommendation?

Yeah, and why is he always yelling 'BOSCH'? It's just 'Bosch.'

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
whats a bosch service center? we dont have those here. the only bosch place here is vetronix.

We don't have them here in MN either. I did see a few when I lived in IL. Nothing against those guys, they probably do a fine job of it. I would imagine they feature Bosch parts though, which is a no-no for Honda's.

And what's with the Bosch recommendation? I wouldn't touch a Honda with a ten foot Bosch pole. Honda's don't get along with Bosch parts. For a German car, definitely. Japanese cars, stay away.

Although I would not hesitate to put a BOSCH alt, WP or whatever on my Honda, what exact parts are you refering to, because I never said anything about ~parts~. For the record, my BOSCH Service Center uses oem parts and works on imports too. As far as German cars, BOSCH Service is the way to go. They have the oem manuals of all the electronics, the same warranty as dealers with a better price. I don't know the import crudentials of the guys at the shop, but as far as Euro cars, my guys typically are 20-30 years Master BMW and Audi techs with full competition race licences. My guys also develop things like fueling solutions for tuners in Motronic 5 with all that crazy sum-checking and returnless FPR junk.

Were'nt you pimping Honda brakes a month ago? My place uses oem too...mostly for whiny customers who will complain about squeaks. They can just say to them, hey...they are oem. There is also a shelf of Axxis pads for cooler customers.

There used to be a BOSCH Service locator somewhere on their web site, I lost track of it. For guys looking for service around their home, great. If you are away from home, in a new town or whatever, it's awesome because you get a set quality of service and parts. fwiw, they do not use the AA/AZ type of BOSCH parts, rather the ones strait from the Fatherland like comes on the cars from the factory.

i probably wait and let the dealer do timing, water pump, drive belt, transmission fluid change, and brake fluid change @ 90k miles. i never like the idea of having someone drive the car out back and i wait for 2 hrs wondering if i just paid coocoo bucks for an fancy car wash job or what. i guess i have seriously trust issue that only this pep boys managed to pass the muster test.

Find a Honda Certified shop in the phone book. Call the dealers in your area first to get a price quote - it will be high. Then call a Honda Certified shop and their price will probably be at least $100 cheaper. Normally dealerships are a major rip off.
T-belt change intervals for your Accord are every 105k miles or 7 years.
If I were you and I was not DIY'ing, I would go ahead and have them do the drive belts, oil seals, water pump, and timing belt all at once. As soon as you don't have them do all of those, one will go out in less than a month - that's the way it happens.
Only use genuine Honda parts for these items since they are so critical to your engine's life. A Honda Certified shop should use all genuine Honda parts, but ask them first to be sure.
I wouldn't trust Pepboys at all. I guarantee you even if they botched the job and the belt broke or something catastrophic happened, they would deny it is their fault and make you get a lawyer before they pay you - if they even pay you.
I would also never put a Bosch part in a Honda. Bosch spark plugs have been frying Honda coils for years. Bosch is probably great for other car manufacturers, but not at all for Honda.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back