Timing belt time (04 civic d17a1)

Well it's timing belt time so there's no better time than some under the valve cover art.

Car is a 04 civic owned since 135k now at 241k
Since 135k it's been run with either m1 0w20 afe, or pennz plat 0w20 or 5w20 hm for usually 5 k intervals

No idea on previous history but it didn't seem to be neglected

1000000507.jpg
1000000508.jpg

About 40k on these copper plugs. Well worn and the touch of red on them may be a result of some tcw3 at a 640:1 ratio for the last several thousand miles

1000000513.jpg

Even though the belt looks good the aisen water pump which was new with the belt has been tapping out for awhile judging by the buildup at the weep hole on the bottom right bolt hole

1000000518.jpg

The way the used TB looks, this should be the last time that you'll have to change the TB & related acc's.
Do you plan on pushing the car to 400K? :unsure:
What else is in the TB kit; Cam & Crank seals too?

It’s Ashless 2 stroke oil.
Thanks for that information. But as we see on the spark plugs that's not good LOL. There are a myriad of cleaners that are safe for the fuel system & plugs. Oh well, not my money & not my car...HA!

Thanks for that information. But as we see on the spark plugs that's not good LOL. There are a myriad of cleaners that are safe for the fuel system & plugs. Oh well, not my money & not my car...HA!

What? Those sparkplugs look great for a cheap copper set with 40K. In fact I'd have been tempted to gap them and try them for another 40k.

That red tinge almost looks like you've been burning Ferrocene.

Agreed, that timing belt looks pristine. I understand that one can't go strictly by appearance. Still at 102k miles, TB looks super. And 'imo', likely significant life left in it.

Valvetrain looks very good too. I'm betting other parts and pieces on chassis, body and interior on the 04 Civic will go before the engine.

Thanks for the pics.

Last edited:
The way the used TB looks, this should be the last time that you'll have to change the TB & related acc's.
Do you plan on pushing the car to 400K? :unsure:
What else is in the TB kit; Cam & Crank seals too?
I got the aisin component kit. Comes with mitsuboshi belt, tensioner/dampener with nsk bearing, new honda tensioner spring, and aisin water pump.

I purchased the front main crank seal and cam seal separately

I plan to get what I can out of the car, put on about 500 miles a week, if it made it to 300 i'd be pretty happy, the rust will likely get it before the drivetrain does. Recently replaced all the brake lines due to rust, at least I no longer need to worry about that.

I have always felt the Aisin pumps are a downgrade from the OE Honda (Yamada) pumps.
Are you sure this generation got the Yamada pumps? I could have sworn this generation come with pumps made by aisin?

I could certainly be wrong its been several years but I do know when I initially did the timing belt on this car at 138 k I removed a Honda pump and I am almost certain I found markings from Aisin as well. I recall feeling pretty comfortable that Aisin was the factory supplier of those pumps.

With that being said I am a tad disappointed to see the buildup around the weep hole indicating the pump was on it's way out. The bearing feels smooth but you can detect a tiny amount of play in them.

Good engine. I had an ‘05 6MT that I put 395k miles on, and then gave it to my cousin who drove it for a few more years.

Edit: never had to replace the clutch

Are you sure this generation got the Yamada pumps? I could have sworn this generation come with pumps made by aisin?
In all likelihood not Yamada, OE at the time likely Aisin. But, info I've seen says Honda now using Yamada as OEM.

That said, I too have chosen an Aisin kit as used by member @GemStater in his extensive review V6 timing belt kit HERE. Adding, read all the naysayer negatives about using Aisin. GemStater review works 'for me'.

I could certainly be wrong its been several years but I do know when I initially did the timing belt on this car at 138 k I removed a Honda pump and I am almost certain I found markings from Aisin as well. I recall feeling pretty comfortable that Aisin was the factory supplier of those pumps.

With that being said I am a tad disappointed to see the buildup around the weep hole indicating the pump was on it's way out. The bearing feels smooth but you can detect a tiny amount of play in them.
In all likelihood not Yamada, OE at the time likely Aisin. But, info I've seen says Honda now using Yamada as OEM.

That said, I too have chosen an Aisin kit as used by member @GemStater in his extensive review V6 timing belt kit HERE. Adding, read all the naysayer negatives about using Aisin. GemStater review works 'for me'.

Sometimes, the change in contracts can affect replacement OEM parts for cars already on the road. For example, even if the OP's civic came from the factory with an Aisin water pump in 2004, a new one from the dealer today could be from Yamada.

I plan to get what I can out of the car, put on about 500 miles a week, if it made it to 300 i'd be pretty happy, the rust will likely get it before the drivetrain does. Recently replaced all the brake lines due to rust, at least I no longer need to worry about that.

Do you get it rustproofed? :unsure:

Sometimes, the change in contracts can affect replacement OEM parts for cars already on the road. For example, even if the OP's civic came from the factory with an Aisin water pump in 2004, a new one from the dealer today could be from Yamada...
Using less words regarding 'current' OEM pump maker, I think that's pretty much what I replied to the OP.

Back