zmax-micro lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh. A friend used to buy into the Zmax/Duralube hype. Swore up and down it worked. Just could not get him to drain the oil and just run Duralube though.....

He also swor his run of the mill Probe ran great on race gas too.....

I agree that nothing soaks into metal. There are certain ways that hydrogen can be driven into metal, but hydrogen has very low mass compared to metal. And hydrogen and helium can also escape from metal containers over a long period of time.

These people who push these magic oil supplements make all kinds of claims. If they are pushing a PTFE product they will say that the PTFE coats the metal and reduces friction. About the only way to have PTFE coat metal is to do it in a factory. Cookware that is coated with PTFE is treated in a factory.

In any case, the amount of friction reduction you would get from their products even if their products worked would probably not be that much greater than using a motor oil that contains moly in chemical formulation.

It is sort of like the Synlube fans who talked about putting PTFE, moly AND graphite in a motor oil. Like that is supposed to triple the antifriction effect? Heck, pick one. I would pick moly in chemical formulation.

I am not very big into oil supplements today except for maybe something that can clean the inside of an engine. You can only reduce friction so much in an engine. Going beyond a certain point costs too much and probably cannot be achieved anyway. And the people who make motor oils ALREADY HAVE friction reducers in their motor oils.

The only 'metal' that a liquid would 'soak' into is sintered metal and those parts are either coated with a sealing metal (silver plating for example) or have a barrier of solid metal between the sintered part and the oil/additive (connecting rod-Fords).

I have a 2001 Mazda tribute. I was burning a 1-1.5 quarts of oil over the course of 3,000 miles. When I changed my oil I added z-max to the crankcase and didn't think much more of it. I checked the oil and it didn't burn a single drop of oil the whole duration of the 3,000 mile interval. Honestly I was astounded cause I was only looking to clean out the carbon. I am now 1,000 miles into my next oil change with no z-mX and so far so good. No oil had burned off yet. Can anyone tell me why my car stopped consuming oil? Thank you.

My .02 worth as a user of Zmax.

What Zmax does is to purge metal of deposits, particularly the rings and valve guides, where oil control is critical in keeping it out of the combustion chambers. It does this so well, in fact, that many engines see reduced oil consumption. I don't buy into the soaking part because I can't prove it; however, the way oil comes out as black as it does in a short-change interval and the resultant cleanliness of the engine is very obvious. Older engines that have not been well maintained benefit the most and the results are more obvious.

Are there other products that clean - yes. Zmax is just one of them and it does it very well. It also helps keep the engine clean. Many old school racers used it and swore by it as well as many aircraft owners with the sister product. They also use MMO in the oil as well. I adopted this same combination and I have been more than satisfied with the results in my old Turbo Volvo. Frankly, it hasn't run this well in years since I got it back from my sons who never maintained it like I did.

I believe the reason many say it does nothing is because their engines didn't need it. Newer engines have tighter tolerances and use oil that is of higher quality. I believe quality oil and OCI maintenance zero out Zmax. There is simply no noticeable impact as no cleaning is required. However, if one has a older engine that has not been maintained well, Zmax will clean it and there is a better chance it will have a noticeable impact.

I use it as preventative maintenance along with MMO in both the oil and gas in my old car. I'm very satisfied with the results. My oil stays cleaner far longer, doesn't consume it as it did and I get much longer service life. I am switching to synthetic in this next OCI and may consider discontinuing its use if the oil stays as clean as it does now.

Hope that helps...

Hello Robison 87,

In your combustion chamber, the design Peak Combustion Pressure 12 Degrees After Top Dead Center on the Power Cycle should achieve around 700 PSI.

This is accomplished with good valve to seat sealing and maintaining the critical oil film ' SEAL " between the Piston/Rings and cylinder wall.

Two things happened in your engine that reduced your oil consumption.

First, zMax slowly dissolved and dispersed the deposits and varnish on the valve seats, pistons,rings and cylinder walls.

Then, with zMax soaking into the metal, it weeps out. Several things happen here.

zMax is Micro Lubricating the working metal surfaces.The zMax weeps out of the metal providing additional surface lubricity.

This additional lubricity is providing a cooler surface for the oil to work on. There is now better heat dissipation off the ripped and jagged machine imperfections which can damage and oxidize the engine oil .

The end result is now the engine oil is able to maintain an improved "SEAL " between the piston/rings and cylinder walls.

Your cylinders are now burning the fuel and air more complete with less blow-by going past the rings.

Like clockwork, I was able to lower and maintain the improved oil consumption number for many years on air cooled aircraft engines.

Too bad you didn't perform a warm cranking compression on all the cylinders before using the zMax.

You would have seen the compression numbers increase as well as your exhaust gas temperatures be reduced due to the improved combustion .

From it's soak ability, you'll be able to run the vehicle around 5 to 6 thousand miles and maintain the results but I would retreat at that point to maintain what's been corrected.

Once the zMax is in the metal, it's very difficult for deposits to reform on the surfaces that weep out the zMax product.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: keesue
My .02 worth as a user of Zmax.

What Zmax does is to purge metal of deposits, particularly the rings and valve guides, where oil control is critical in keeping it out of the combustion chambers. It does this so well, in fact, that many engines see reduced oil consumption. I don't buy into the soaking part because I can't prove it; however, the way oil comes out as black as it does in a short-change interval and the resultant cleanliness of the engine is very obvious. Older engines that have not been well maintained benefit the most and the results are more obvious.

Are there other products that clean - yes. Zmax is just one of them and it does it very well. It also helps keep the engine clean. Many old school racers used it and swore by it as well as many aircraft owners with the sister product. They also use MMO in the oil as well. I adopted this same combination and I have been more than satisfied with the results in my old Turbo Volvo. Frankly, it hasn't run this well in years since I got it back from my sons who never maintained it like I did.

I believe the reason many say it does nothing is because their engines didn't need it. Newer engines have tighter tolerances and use oil that is of higher quality. I believe quality oil and OCI maintenance zero out Zmax. There is simply no noticeable impact as no cleaning is required. However, if one has a older engine that has not been maintained well, Zmax will clean it and there is a better chance it will have a noticeable impact.

I use it as preventative maintenance along with MMO in both the oil and gas in my old car. I'm very satisfied with the results. My oil stays cleaner far longer, doesn't consume it as it did and I get much longer service life. I am switching to synthetic in this next OCI and may consider discontinuing its use if the oil stays as clean as it does now.

Hope that helps...

Keesue,

On the subject of better oils and tighter engine tolerances....

On our Indy 500 Aurora V8 engines, with using Methanol fuels, we didn't have deposit issues as the parts were clean after after a 3 to 500 mile race.

We used two of the top Synthetic oils. These engines were far superior in tight operating dimensions vs production vehicles made today.

Regardless of the oil used, without zMax, we were 6 horsepower less.

With using synthetic oil only, cylinder leak downs were commonly in the 5 to 6 percent range. After a race with using zMax, the cylinder leakdowns were still in the 3 to 3 1/2 percent range.

This is an example on the ability of zMax to improve the surface lubricity and sealing effect between the piston/rings and cylinder wall is not dependent upon cleaning deposits.

All the SAE Sequence VIII laboratory running engine tests were performed using new parts and many different oils which included full Synthetics. Horsepower was improved and BSFC was reduced along with less wear without the need for deposit cleaning.

The Sequence VIII engine tests correlate with what was achieved on our race engines.

Even with new engine designs,better electronics for fuel/air management,and improved metals,the heat in the combustion chamber far exceeds what any motor oil can successfully function at without distress.

The best full Synthetic oils are used on Jet engines and they also experience deposit coking.

This is really good to know. I was introduced to zMax by a P51 racing team crew chief. He used it in his personal aircraft along with MMO in the fuel and oil. He showed me pistons from two different engines, one with and one without zMax. They spoke volumes I have to say and that was that.

Thanks for posting this.

Lots of Zmax threads here on it. Search engine is your friend.

BTW, I could care less about Indy500 race engines and claims to hype up the additive. Its kind of meaningless for a daily driver.

I'm 5500 miles into a 7500 mile sponsored run with Zmax. 2000 more miles(another month of driving) and I will post a sponsored UOA of it. MPG/power/feel/sound... has been the same or similar. So, the only guide I will have is the UOA data with it, and over the next year, the follow-up UOAs without it. Engine#1 is 2 years old with about ~48k miles with overly frequent full synthetic oil changes always.

I have a 2nd vehicle, non-sponsored, that will also see a UOA with it. It will have about 6k miles and is on a yearly OCI. So, we'll see the 2nd vehicle, for comparison, probably in 10 months, and 2 years from now with the non-Zmax follow-up fill UOA. MPG has improved on 2nd vehicle. And, the 1st road trip after the OCI that added Zmax, the engine developed a burping/splurging/bubbling fluid/air noise for a few minutes. Scared the [censored] out of me but filter was on tight, no double gasket, and oil level was perfect. It went away. With the MPG improvement, and the weird gurgling sound that I got, I can surmise, but not prove, that the VVT is now working 'more properly'. Engine #2 is on a 8-10 month OCI with synthetic always(7 years old ~60k miles).
No feelings changed in engine#2 with Zmax as the FI cleaner. Engine#2 always ran smooth, started easy, never lacked power... and FI cleaner was just a normal OCI regimen as PM.

I'm contemplating to send in a sample for a SAE J300 battery of tests to see how good of a base-oil it is. Not enough sponsors yet!

And, as an FI cleaner, I still haven't developed my 5k miss on engine #1. Usually I get a cold start hiccup or idle hiccup, even when using toptier fuels, that is always cured with an FI cleaner like Techron, 3m, SI1, Lucas, or... and repeats itself again by 5k miles. So, it either cleaned well or coated(soaked in) that pesky injector. Time will tell.

The term "micro-lubricant" is a term that I don't care for. Its just the registered trademark. Means nothing.

And, for ANYONE that has some crud, varnish, or sludge, scrape it off and mix it with a few drops of Zmax and judge for yourself. I will surmise that it is a high-end base oil with great cleaning abilities and performance, maybe similar to Chevron's Isosyn technology.

There were a couple UOAs here. Might want to search the UOA section here or online. The UOA showed that Zmax DOES thin the oil a little. So, if you get a tad bit of power or MPG, you could possibly do the same by selecting a thinner oil.

For the generic Zmax MSDS, no info can be assumed. I want to believed that Zmax is a higher-end group III/III+ base with some type of proprietary finishing or treatment. Or, it could be the greatest scam out there. You can get a gallon of high end group 4/5/6 base oil for what they sell this little Zmax bottle for.

Some good articles on base oils here:
http://www.chevron.com/products/sitelets/refiningtechnology/clg_articles.aspx
And the iso-links here:
http://www.chevron.com/products/sitelets/refiningtechnology/iso_cat4a.aspx

I enjoy reading about the advantages zMax/AVBLEND might offer. Regardless if the application is for an airplane, race car, or daily driver.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
I enjoy reading about the advantages zMax/AVBLEND might offer. Regardless if the application is for an airplane, race car, or daily driver.

Engines regardless of application,share the same combustion theory. An engine is a piece of metal and doesn't know if it's used in a race car, airplane or stationary application.

The performance results of zMax/AvBlend do correlate on all engines regardless if it's used in a race car, aircraft or every day passenger car.

Theory? It depends on your thinking.

Race engines typically don't have PCV or EGR, do they?
Race engines typically don't see 100's of cold starts a year.
Race engines don't have an A/F ratio that balances emissions, power, and efficiency.

And, the performance results haven't been proven, regardless of the engine type.

Originally Posted By: unDummy

Race engines don't have an A/F ratio that balances emissions, power, and efficiency.

And, the performance results haven't been proven, regardless of the engine type.

Referring to an engines " Design Peak Combustion Pressure which occurs 12 Degrees ATDC on the Power stroke. It's not my thinking, just the facts about engine combustion. Proper valve and piston/ring sealing is the critical factor to achieve proper horsepower,correct fuel consumption and clean emissions .

Combustion temperatures in any engine operate well beyond what oil is comfortable at.

And yes, we did obtain 6 more horsepower and maintain better leakdown numbers with using the product. The product's Sequence VIII engine lab testing provides similar positive gains as seen on the track as well as can be seen in regular cars,etc.

Those extra laps gained during the complete race due to better combustion sealing resulted in a more aggressive throttle position and fuel setting at the end of the race when we needed it.

Our 1997 Phoenix 200 win is an excellent example when Guthrie was able to stand on the throttle for the last 25 laps to out chase Tony Stewart.

Been using the product many years in all engines and have proven the product performance time and time again.

Last edited:
Good to see that you have good results with it. I have also found it to be working.
But, a few other products I have tried(in the oil sump), is working better.
I still think it's worth the money.
And, since it is well known in the US, it is a good product to change peoples perception about additives(at least if they are able to notice a small difference in their engines performance).

I'm 5500 miles into a 7500 mile sponsored run with Zmax. 2000 more miles(another month of driving) and I will post a sponsored UOA of it. MPG/power/feel/sound... has been the same or similar. So, the only guide I will have is the UOA data with it, and over the next year, the follow-up UOAs without it. Engine#1 is 2 years old with about ~48k miles with overly frequent full synthetic oil changes always.

Define sponsored???

Quote:
I want to believed that Zmax is a higher-end group III/III+ base with some type of proprietary finishing or treatment.

Their own documentation states that it is a long chain hydrocarbon which makes it a group I.

It has also been around since the 1950's(?). Long before modern refining techniques.

Sponsored means someone is paying for the UOA and someone else supplied the Zmax. I'm supplying the guinea pig engines and my time. Over the next couple years, I will have runs with/without Zmax, with/without Prolong, with/without Lubegard... Only deviation will be that I'm not stocking up on 20 cases of current oil. I will stick with a common weight/brand. Hopefully the formula doesn't grossly change over the next couple years.

If it was a group 1 base oil, I just can't see an oil performance improvement. And, when making a Group II, II+, III... base, what do you start with?

Originally Posted By: racetek27

Referring to an engines " Design Peak Combustion Pressure which occurs 12 Degrees ATDC on the Power stroke. It's not my thinking, just the facts about engine combustion. Proper valve and piston/ring sealing is the critical factor to achieve proper horsepower,correct fuel consumption and clean emissions .

Combustion temperatures in any engine operate well beyond what oil is comfortable at.

And yes, we did obtain 6 more horsepower and maintain better leakdown numbers with using the product. The product's Sequence VIII engine lab testing provides similar positive gains as seen on the track as well as can be seen in regular cars,etc.

Those extra laps gained during the complete race due to better combustion sealing resulted in a more aggressive throttle position and fuel setting at the end of the race when we needed it.

Our 1997 Phoenix 200 win is an excellent example when Guthrie was able to stand on the throttle for the last 25 laps to out chase Tony Stewart.

Been using the product many years in all engines and have proven the product performance time and time again.

Racetek, please post outside of the quoted post so we can see who is talking, thanks
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back