ZF8 Fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Cool thing about Rams with the 3.6/ZF8 is you have full clearance to the trans pan. No exhaust or anything in the way.

I would imagine the other cost with doing a pan drop and filter change is as mentioned above. You toss the whole plastic pan and replace it since the filter is integrated into the pan. Nice thing is no messing with gaskets or RTV. The seal is bonded to the pan.

I have to look at it closer, but when I glanced at the plastic pan on my '17, it looked like there was a drain plug on it, unless what I saw was a boss cast into it for the magnet, etc.

The BMW ZF8 pans have a drain plug.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
I have about 2 years before my first fluid change (I drive about 25-30K a year). By then they'll be that much more info on reliable alternatives. Worst case scenario I'll suck it up and buy the OEM oil.

Do not forget that you cannot drain all fluid. I managed only to drain 5 liters with pan/filter.
That is around $110.
Transmission is expensive, fluid is not. And viable alternatives will not pop out. ZF is present for a long time on the U.S. market.
I would say based on experiences if you decide for alternative, go with Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: JTK
Cool thing about Rams with the 3.6/ZF8 is you have full clearance to the trans pan. No exhaust or anything in the way.

I would imagine the other cost with doing a pan drop and filter change is as mentioned above. You toss the whole plastic pan and replace it since the filter is integrated into the pan. Nice thing is no messing with gaskets or RTV. The seal is bonded to the pan.

I have to look at it closer, but when I glanced at the plastic pan on my '17, it looked like there was a drain plug on it, unless what I saw was a boss cast into it for the magnet, etc.

The BMW ZF8 pans have a drain plug.

I looked at three different models pan/filter and they all had one.

Indeed my 2017 Ram 3.6L/ZF8 has a drain plug. Looks like a one time use type thing, but maybe not.

ep0S9TI.jpg

c83Th0B.jpg

i9xHqQA.jpg

Perhaps check out Ravenol 8HP ATF. Not sure what it costs.

Edit: it’s $24 a liter! :-/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back