Zero turn recommendations for hilly yard

Consumer grade mowers have a lower blade tip speed. This can cause issues with skipping, bad cutting. My MTD RZT42 had a lower engine rpm of 2900. I increased this to 3600, and it now mows way way way better. Just do not hit things, you know, be professional. Maybe I am shorting the life. So be it. It has 10 years now, and seems perfect. If it died tomorrow, that would be $220 a year,

Rod

A ZTR mower is not really the best choice for yards with hills. When mowing along the side of a hill they are nearly impossible to keep tracking in a straight line, and when mowing up steep hills you risk tipping it over backwards if you don't mount weights on the front. IMO you would be better off with a lawn tractor like the Craftsman (Husqvarna) T240 "Turn Tight" 22 HP Kohler Hydrostatic Drive 46" tractor. They are far more maneuverable than a regular tractor and can be purchased at LOWES for a budget friendly price of under $2000.
Do they turn tight both left and right? That’s my biggest gripe with the Craftman, it turns harder going left than right. We’re not against another tractor, she would actually prefer that.

I’d be fine with a stand on, the wife not so much lol

You can get your wife to cut the grass?! Please give me lessons on how to do that!

But as to the original question: you can get a Scag Liberty Z for under $5000 with up to a 61" deck, although the large deck might kick the price over $5000. You can get a Kawasaki engine with a Scag also. I have a Liberty Z 48" deck and have been very satisfied with it. It is Scag's lowest priced mower but it is built like a tank. As far as using it on hills, I have a flat yard but I cut my dad's yard and he has a septic tank mound that has a steep slope and I have never had a problem.

Do they turn tight both left and right? That’s my biggest gripe with the Craftman, it turns harder going left than right. We’re not against another tractor, she would actually prefer that.

They are supposed to turn sharp enough in both directions to miss only 5" of grass when turning completely around. If it doesn't you can take it back. John Deere used to sell a tractor just like this one, so the technology is not new, I had a friend who had one and it worked well. Mowing on a hill with a ZTR is tricky and can be difficult. A tractor like this will be far easier for your wife to use than a ZTR (ZTRs have a learning curve).

Skippy
You and your wife may be better served with a quality lawn tractor. Most have snow plow attachments available. One thing to note on the Craftsman mowers, they are all made by MTD. Husqvarna makes a good unit that won’t break the bank and it will fit in your garage.

Skippy
You and your wife may be better served with a quality lawn tractor. Most have snow plow attachments available. One thing to note on the Craftsman mowers, they are all made by MTD. Husqvarna makes a good unit that won’t break the bank and it will fit in your garage.
I’m thinking you’re right, I like the Husqvarna on paper. Going to head to Lowe’s this weekend and see if they have a floor model to play with This weekend.

I have the same exact mower as this one, except it's the Cub Cadet version (XT1 46" cut, 22hp Kohler, made by MTD) and was about $100 cheaper. The turning radius is awesome, and it turns just as easy left and right. I don't have quite as steep hills as you do, but my yard has a nice slope to it. The hydrostatic transmission has no issues at all with it. I haven't been able to bog the engine down yet and I've been mowing some seriously thick wet grass recently.

I’ll spend more if it’s truly worth it, but I’d still like to be under $10k. I didn’t know there was a huge step up in quality!

There’s a wicked hill leading do the road, we just weed whack that, but you can see the other 2 here big ones here, bonus dog pic.

As for what’s wrong with the current mower, it runs fine till it gets warm, then every so often it bogs down real bad, smells like it’s crazy rich, and threatens to stall, but then clears up. I’ve done a new air filter, plugs, oil and filter, new fuel filter... maybe the valves need adjusted? We’ve only had it for a year, we traded a 55 gallon aquarium and a 65” TCL for it. As for how we mow, we were mowing as short as we could without digging the blades or deck into the ground.View attachment 28345View attachment 28348View attachment 28349
A commercial Z turn will handle your yard. My Ferris handles much steeper on my property. You will be surprised at how quickly you can do that yard.

We’re going to be in the market for a new mower, the old 2005’ish Craftsman DGT6000 with a 48” deck is starting to nickel and dime us.

We have 2.1 acres to mow with a couple of hills. What should I be looking for? The Toro’s with suspension look nice, and I think Ferris had some with suspension. Does it actually work though? What are some things I should look for in a zero turn?

We’d like to be under $5,000, and I’d like to avoid a giant deck/mower because it needs to fit between the cars in the garage like this. View attachment 28299
We all have our favorite mowers to recommend but you should try to deal with the closest dealer to you. Also get a commercial grade mower if you can. Those homeowner ZTR's won't last any longer than a riding mower from Lowes. When you buy from a local dealer they usually take good care of you. For Ex: you would get priority during the Spring rush for service. You take a Home Depot mower in that shop for service, you are at the back of the line IF they will even take it. It may cost you more than you want to spend but believe me, you will be happy.

I don't think a zero turn would have any trouble with that yard at all. It sure doesn't appear to be that steep. I don't have a zero turn, but mow a far, far steeper yard with a tractor and it's more than twice the size. I wouldn't get a ztr for my yard, but my pal has mown mine with a steering wheel zero turn while I was on vacation and said he had no problems at all. Lever zero turns have trouble with long, steep, sharp slopes more so than short or shallow slopes. I will say one thing, it's far more important for the mower to fit the yard, not the garage, no offense, but I'd build a shed, or something before I'd worry about the fit in the garage. In your situation, though, I think a 48" would be fitting, so you win on that count.
Find a dealer who will loan you a zero turn to try out in your yard. If they're worth their salt, they'll be glad to let you use one, maybe they have used ones they loan out, or if you're a serious buyer they'll surely let you try one in your yard. I mean if you're spending upwards to $5K, they'll do what it takes. I know around here it's common practice, I've done it.

We all have our favorite mowers to recommend but you should try to deal with the closest dealer to you. Also get a commercial grade mower if you can. Those homeowner ZTR's won't last any longer than a riding mower from Lowes. When you buy from a local dealer they usually take good care of you. For Ex: you would get priority during the Spring rush for service. You take a Home Depot mower in that shop for service, you are at the back of the line IF they will even take it. It may cost you more than you want to spend but believe me, you will be happy.
Good advice but when I bought a Toro ZTR from Home Depot, it was delivered by a local authorized Toro sales and service company (Midwest Power Equipment). It has their sticker on it to call for service. Maybe I was just lucky.

I think a ZTR would work fine. Why not let an OPE dealer bring a ZTR to your house and test it out yourself? I have two ZTR mowers and in both cases the dealer brought a mower out and let me try it out for a few days.
I have @2.5 acres to mow and using the ZTRs it usually takes me about 90 minutes.

I think a ZTR would work fine. Why not let an OPE dealer bring a ZTR to your house and test it out yourself? I have two ZTR mowers and in both cases the dealer brought a mower out and let me try it out for a few days.
I have @2.5 acres to mow and using the ZTRs it usually takes me about 90 minutes.
I didn’t know they’d bring you one to try, but I haven’t talked to a dealer yet. It’s looking like next year we’ll be popping in, I think I’ll only have to cut the grass one or 2 more times this year.

I didn’t know they’d bring you one to try, but I haven’t talked to a dealer yet. It’s looking like next year we’ll be popping in, I think I’ll only have to cut the grass one or 2 more times this year.

I've found November through March can be a good time to buy from a dealer. Left-over model year machines, etc. Sometimes the manufacturers run incentives in the early spring, but after that when it's peak mowing season, forget it.

I wouldn't get a zero turn mower for a hilly yard. Like mentioned above they are difficult to keep tracking straight on a hilly yard, to the point where it's tedious to use them. A nice well-built garden tractor should serve your needs well I think.

Careful on hills
The operator appears to have had the ROPS down. According to other news reports, the man asphyxiated from being pinned after the mower rolled over. His death was likely preventable if he had been using a seat belt with the ROPS in its proper position.

The heavier the better. My new yard has some steep hills. I have two zero turns. One is a gravely zt52hd, the other a zg20 kubota. The kubota weighs almost 1100lbs. It hold the hills great. The gravely cuts better, but is slower and slides on the hills a lot. I figure the gravely weighs 600-700lbs.
Just my 2c.

Back