You're gonna love this! 2016 F-150 2.7 Ecoboost

Status
Not open for further replies.
In addition, it was the time interval. There was one section where I was going across northern Nevada for 350 miles without stopping. The truck was doing minimum 85(80mph limit) and more, the entire time. Hot (above 100) and dry, also. This isn't like driving the east coast, where you might run up to that for half a minute and then back down. An engine under constant big boost for that long is going to use oil.I am well aware of the TSB. At this point, I do not believe it is falling under that. As I said, it didn't use oil before or after that. Those TSB engines lose 5-6 quarts in 200-300 miles, and then usually blow. Because of that TSB, on this trip, I was checking the oil every stop. If it was down even a little, I added.
Even though I am very interested in data from other types of Ecoboosts and TGDI's, I think the 2.7 engine is it's own entity, based on the other 2.7 UOA's I have seen. We'll see.
Stay tuned.I am going to do a few more UOA's on both trucks over the next months. I appreciate all the suggestions.

Last edited:
My 3.5L ecoboost hasn't burned any oil in the 51K since new. Its seem higher RPM for longer and harder than you posted.

OP, I think you're saying the viscosity drop in the older UOA is because the dealer used 5w-20 rather than the 5w-30 they indicated?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Originally Posted By: Strawdog
Originally Posted By: Marco620
Dont add HM M1, its got seal swelling ability and will ween from not having it. Try Castrol Magnatec or QSUD with short intervals.

High mileage oil will not hurt one thing. Wives tale. I run Valvoline HM 5w30 full synthetic in my 2.7 and I am very happy with it, the motor is way quieter than with pup and no more black tailpipe residue, I just picked up 2 5 gallon jugs a Walmart with the dexos1 Gen 2 logo on the label, (it was on the back of the shelf behind the old formula stuff).

That's interesting. No more black tailpipe residue with the Valvoline HM?

Correct

But as I stated earlier and please check the links I posted that state that a 2.7 that smokes and burns 1 qt in 3000 miles
could have a problem. I followed this problem when it was first reported a year ago and ford is replacing the heads or long block. Some people with the problem initially had the heads replaced only to have it fail again and then have a long block installed. From what I have found ford changed the oil passages or casting on the heads in early 2016 and that is what caused the problems and why the earlier or later production dates do not have the problem.

I also do not subscribe to changing the oil on a new engine until at least 3k mile for proper break in. I changed mine on the 2.7 1st time at 5k. Flame on if you want but I rebuilt my first sbc by myself in 1965 when i was 15 yo. I have rebuilt many truck, car, motorcycle and boat engines since.

I am sticking to a 5k oci on the 2.7

Last edited:
Not flaming anyone, friendo. The TSB is at the forefront of my mind. I just think at this point, it isn't the issue. I am am actually more concerned about the 2017, as it's copper level is higher at the same mileage, and from what I've gathered the TSB is all about the valve guides.
Stay with me, and we'll go through these UOA's and gather some data over these next months on two different trucks.

Last edited:
So, we keep stating the engine is running big boost and that's why it used the oil.

Are you actually monitoring boost? I do, and not running loaded at speeds of 75+ it isn't pushing a lot of boost compared to towing in my 2016 F150 in about the heaviest configuration allowed for a 2.7 truck...

Load it up and stick a trailer behind it, and it does run heavy boost, continually (and the fuel mileage drops correspondingly). I've towed near the weight ratings for my truck for multiple hours on end and have had zero oil consumption. You state that you were running for 350 miles that way and weren't surprised you burned the oil. I towed for 350+miles straight with no stopping and I don't see any consumption.

You keep telling us these engines are a whole new ball game. Others who use the engine keep telling you something is off with yours as we aren't seeing the same issues. Draw your own conclusion.

FWIW, I run roughly 7500 mile oil changes on MC 5w30 and motorcraft filters.

Not flaming anyone, friendo. The TSB is at the forefront of my mind. I just think at this point, it isn't the issue. I am am actually more concerned about the 2017, as it's copper level is higher at the same mileage, and from what I've gathered the TSB is all about the valve guides.

Stay with me, and we'll go through these UOA's and gather some data over these next months on two different trucks.

I did a UOA on mine and about 11k and that why I dumped the PUP. Will do another when I change my oil soon.

I think initially they thought it was valve guides and changing the heads would have fixed the problem and it did not for many people. I think, (not sure as this came up a year ago and I have not kept up with it) ford gave up on just changing the heads and went to the replacing complete long blocks on trucks with this problem. Some information was around that did state the casting were modified but I do not have a link and cannot try to look foe it now.

Also the flame comment was not really directed at you, just anticipating it from others,
grin.gif

Last edited:
In addition, it was the time interval. There was one section where I was going across northern Nevada for 350 miles without stopping. The truck was doing minimum 85(80mph limit) and more, the entire time. Hot (above 100) and dry, also. This isn't like driving the east coast, where you might run up to that for half a minute and then back down. An engine under constant big boost for that long is going to use oil.I am well aware of the TSB. At this point, I do not believe it is falling under that. As I said, it didn't use oil before or after that. Those TSB engines lose 5-6 quarts in 200-300 miles, and then usually blow. Because of that TSB, on this trip, I was checking the oil every stop. If it was down even a little, I added.
Even though I am very interested in data from other types of Ecoboosts and TGDI's, I think the 2.7 engine is it's own entity, based on the other 2.7 UOA's I have seen. We'll see.
Stay tuned.I am going to do a few more UOA's on both trucks over the next months. I appreciate all the suggestions.
This is UNLOADED cruising at 85MPH? I have towed in heat higher than that at 75ish and never experienced what you describe--I fully understand it is not the same engine that you have, BUT running at 85 unloaded should not cause the boost to be that high nor should it use that level of oil. If this is "by design" it is a bad design. I am guessing these are throwaway engines.

I don't think I am getting my point across. I was not referring to the rpm's simply for what the engine is turning. The point is, at that rpm, as opposed to say 1700, it is really in the boost at that point. The pressure is what is causing the fuel dilution, not rpm.

What do revs have to do with boost?

If you are cruising at a high constant speed you could have very little boost.

Is there a boost gauge? If not, you could run an ELM327 Bluetooth device attached to the OBDII connector, and run FORScanLite or TorqueLite smartphone apps for display.

Those metallurgy problems are a bit troubling, covered in:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4491705/1

Burning a quart in 2,700 miles with a lot of highway running isn't too much consumption. As soon as it gets past whatever Ford's warranty limits are on consumption, its not considered a problem yet.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
This is UNLOADED cruising at 85MPH? I have towed in heat higher than that at 75ish and never experienced what you describe--I fully understand it is not the same engine that you have, BUT running at 85 unloaded should not cause the boost to be that high nor should it use that level of oil. If this is "by design" it is a bad design. I am guessing these are throwaway engines.

There is a contractor in Florida that has 150k miles on a 2015 2.7, (that also has a tune) that tows 3-4 days a week and fills the cab with people, (his workers) almost every day.

There is a contractor in Florida that has 150k miles on a 2015 2.7, (that also has a tune) that tows 3-4 days a week and fills the cab with people, (his workers) almost every day.
That matches Ford's own durability torture testing. High elevations for less cooling too. All tested out. If weak parts are in there, the game changes. Manufacturing variations too.

I would be willing to bet that the contractors truck is not behaving like the OP's truck is. It does not make logical sense that unloaded and cruising the boost would be that high, nor does it make sense that is using that much oil.

I would be willing to bet that the contractors truck is not behaving like the OP's truck is. It does not make logical sense that unloaded and cruising the boost would be that high, nor does it make sense that is using that much oil.

Correct, the one in Florida is a 2015 like mine and not affected by the TSB

Umm if you are just cruising and not under load/acceleration you arent under any significant amount of boost. Your premise is incorrect. Get a scan tool and monitor the map sensor.

For that fuel dilution with oil consumption, try topping off your Mobil1 with a heavy Mobil1 15w50 to keep viscosity around 10 kv100.

Again, they aren't the same engines. The 2.7's are running a lot of boost down low, and it is a different engine. We have to compare apples to apples.

Agreed

However, they're susceptible to fuel dilution. The 2.7L has a TSB about breaking cylinder walls. I'd be looking for that with the 2.7L.

Add me to the "not normal" bucket. I see no reason for these engines to normally burn oil running down the highway. Not until they're higher mileage at least. Boosted or not. I've yet to hear one similar experience on the Ford forum I frequent. I can understand (but don't necessarily agree with) the high fuel dilution from the pressures, but not the oil consumption.

But I am glad the OP is posting about it...will be fun to watch how things play out.

How many psi of boost do these engines run? This engine may be a good candidate for a fill of 20W50. The oil is definitely slipping through something somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back