Your First Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
69 GMC like this only burgundy. Port hole windows in the sides, it was a shaggin wagon when I bought it, ripped the nasty interior out and hauled motocross bikes. It had a sick 305 V8 and drove like a pig. What a death wish on wheels.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Post your first car. (Or a picture from the internet of what it would have looked like)

Except....

It was NOT this nice!!!

1971-dodge-super-bee.jpg

A mighty 32-horsepower 1963 Renault Dauphine that not so gradually fell apart because, although I made enough to buy it after working the summer, I had to go back to school in September.

Amazingly, the heater made January hotter than July inside the car — and it had hot-air outlets under the back seat.

One of the first things that died was the starter, so for the next year I had to start it with the hand crank.

"Don't wrap your thumb around the crank!"

*eyeroll* "I know, Dad."

Good times.

It was the same colour as the one in the link.
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/austin7nut/7881722776/

Last edited:
ebay860503.jpg

Same colour, no wheel covers, 40 quid. 200cc of single cylinder sound and fury.

That ones going for offers on 6500.

Sold by my parents without asking me when I went down south to work.

Was I [censored] off?

Yes I was.

Its a Heinkel. My mother didn't like it because she claimed to have been strafed by one while watching an airial dogfight from the entrance of their Anderson shelter.

I doubt it was the same one, or that it was specifically shooting at schoolgirls, however Jewish they looked.

Last edited:
A 1954 Morris Minor Series II - now being part of BMC, the Series II got the Austin A series engine and running gear. The grill changed in '54, I don't know what mine was supposed to have as it was fitted with the earlier low light grill, so 4 headlamps, but only 2 worked. Mine was Maroon.

morrisminor6.jpg

First motorcycle was a BSA Bantam Major, 150cc. Mine was blue.

bsa%20bantam%2002.jpg

My 1996 Chevy C1500 Silverado 5.7L. Bought at 144k miles from my dad's neighbor. He bought it new and the brakes started making noise so he parked it for a year. Sold it to me for $800. He was going to donate it but wanted to see it go to good use so he gave me a screaming deal. I sold it at 159k miles for $2,600, 15 mpg was getting really old at the time. Bought a 97 Camry afterwards.

I loved that truck. It was a wonderful highway cruiser and very comfortable. That Vortec 5.7L made lots of power, I was never disappointed.

My first car was a Daewoo Espero 1.5 DOHC 16V gas engine 92 HP.

Beautiful car if you ask me even after 20+ years, and that's because it was designed by Bertone and they slapped the engine and transmission from a proven Opel Vectra.

It was no acceleration demon, suspension was on the soft side, it had a tendency to understeer quite easily and in city driving MPG was a nightmare.

Plenty of space, especially in the back, an utmost important thing for a 18 yo horny teenager
whistle.gif

If that car could speak, I'd be an a lot of trouble
grin.gif

Took her to the scrapyard myself 3 years ago, I felt kinda bad about doing it but I'll always have the great memories...

Holden-LC-Torana-SL-front-side-right-1422-nw.jpg

1970 LC Torana...mine had hubcaps and dress rims.

Holden took a Vauxhaul Viva, extended the chassis and dropped the local 6 cylinder into it.

Mine was the 2250, 138 cuber.

Aussie 3 speed auto, and 4 wheel drums.

Colour is called "Persian Sand", which I wasn't a fan of at the time, but every time I see a car in it (used from 1969 to 1978 on Holdens), I get a warm feeling, and think they look really good.

Originally Posted By: wemay
1985 Dodge Charger

Was than an Omni ?

Back in the 80s, I built an Omni turbo (IIRC) 1:24 model kit...models in shops were not wide spread, so I had to build something.

Couple years later, I married my Brother's '69 boss mustang floorpan and driveline into it...then after that was done a concorde engine pod inverted on the roof...

10073922_20071021212351.JPG

1988 stepside. TBI 350 and 700r4.

I miss it terribly. If I could have afforded gas at $4.50 a gallon I would still have it today.

Last edited:
1969 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, 4-speed, 3.23 posi, triple black.

That's my Grandaughter in "Blacky"(She named it) the day I bought it back, 31 years later.

Last edited:
From a thread earlier this year.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
1970 Duster 340 with an A-833 four speed manual transmission. But first I had to rebuild the engine, and transmission. Quite a task for a teenager that had never rebuilt an engine or transmission prior to that. I finished the task in time for that car to become my first car, at age 16. Wish I still had it.

37.-Ford-LTD.jpg

A 1983 Ford LTD, exactly like this one, including color (mine was on factory LPG, though), which is a screen capture from a View to a Kill, driven by Bond. I'm probably one of the few people out there who had a James Bond vehicle and had to be ashamed of it.
wink.gif

Silk said:
A 1954 Morris Minor Series II - now being part of BMC, the Series II got the Austin A series engine and running gear. The grill changed in '54, I don't know what mine was supposed to have as it was fitted with the earlier low light grill, so 4 headlamps, but only 2 worked. Mine was Maroon.

morrisminor6.jpg

First motorcycle was a BSA Bantam Major, 150cc. Mine was blue.

bsa%20bantam%2002.jpg

My first car was also a Morris Minor. Although at the time it was my pride and jot, really it was an unreliable rustbucket. My first American car was a 1979 Oldsmobile 88, looking back it was an unreliable rustbucket...

[/quote

Claud.

The Chevy listed below. Hand-me-down after it was old from parents, who bought it new. The "One-Fifty" (stripper) trim level. It had several factory and dealer options---stuff like back-up lights, outside mirror, heater, oil filter, oil-bath air filter, & turn signals, most of which became standard in most cars within a few years.

Have to go back to the days of the Instamatic for some very bad photos of early vehicles. My 3rd car. This is my 1957 International AS110 in 1971 when I was 18, I got it for hauling dirtbikes, but it was my everyday 4 wheeler. 4mpg (UK), hard to feed as an apprentice. Wish I had it now.

This is my ealiest photo of a bike I owned, my 6th in 1973. It's called a Triton - a Triumph T110 engine in a Norton Wideline Featherbed frame. All the fruit - a matt black cafe, all my mates were riding chromed choppers.

Hmmm - OK, this is the earliest photo of a car. The day I bought the Triton I did enough bad driving to lose my licence in this 1954 VW, it was pretty rough and missing reverse gear. The cop told me to take it home and never drive it again - next day he was waiting at the end of my street. The Crud Bug, my gravel road car, lowered to stop jacking up. oh, see the sticker on the door ? That says Caltex SE - some sort of fancy oil at the time.

First car was a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 for $500. It was too rusty to pass inspection so me and my dad repaired and painted it.

Started off:

7pGvauy.jpg

axhiaG2.jpg

bQFfsBC.jpg

Ended up with a nice looking car

wMAs9rh.jpg

l2KMLQu.jpg

I added a burgundy pinstripe and a luggage rack from a higher model line. Was only 16 at the time, but I knew class
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back