You can't make this stuff up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have great luck with the USPS. They recently recovered a package that an eBay’er sent me. The sender forgot to put BOTH a delivery or return address. Just the tracking barcode from the automated postal machine. USPS still found it in a giant undeliverable mail facility in GA.

I love when their online tracking system says my package has been delivered, but I still don't have it...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I love when their online tracking system says my package has been delivered, but I still don't have it...

I think they have delivery metrics to meet so they will mark it as delivered but deliver the following day.

Probably delivered to the wrong house (happens all the time), or stolen off your porch by "porch pirates".

First thing I do when I see a tracked package didn't hit my porch is go over to the streets on each side of me and ask the person who has the same house number as me if they got a package with my name and address on it. Happens quite often, but more so with the USPS than with UPS or Fed-Ex.

I once shipped a box of books to a buyer via the post office. The buyer received part of a box........the part with the shipping label. Never found out what happened to the books inside or the rest of the box. The Post Office couldn't care less. Usually, they're fine.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: Wolf359
How much government money did they waste?

As I recall, USPS is an independent agency and doesn't get any money from congress although congress tells them what to do.

American taxpayers give an $18 billion gift to the post office every year

http://fortune.com/2015/03/27/us-postal-service/

" ...
Laws that bar any other shipping service from delivering mail and packages directly to residential and business mailboxes. Shapiro estimates that this gives the Post Office a $14 billion annual boost, more than three times what the Postal Regulatory Commission estimates it to be.
..."

In other words, $14 Billion of that $18 Billion is because the Postal Service rents PO Boxes. I suppose that the boxes at UPS facilities that only UPS can deliver to are a subsidy to UPS?

I see that the article's calculation of "subsidies" to the USPS does not count the payments mandated by the 2008 law requiring the USPS to prefund present and future retiree health benefits, a condition that no other federally funded or owned agency or corporation has had placed upon it. Payments are in the order of $5.5 Billion a month to the US treasury.

The pensions are paid out of general revenue, just like any other federal employee pension benefit. In essence Congress is demanding the USPS pays monies to prepay a liability, but that are simply spent as if they were tax revenue, while placing the burden they are intended to eliminate on the taxpayer's of the future.

https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/postal-facts/top-12-things-to-know.htm

^^This...The facts are here!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Probably delivered to the wrong house (happens all the time), or stolen off your porch by "porch pirates".

First thing I do when I see a tracked package didn't hit my porch is go over to the streets on each side of me and ask the person who has the same house number as me if they got a package with my name and address on it. Happens quite often, but more so with the USPS than with UPS or Fed-Ex.

That has never been the case with me. It's always been that my package just has not been delivered yet, but they list it as delivered...

Originally Posted By: E365
I have great luck with the USPS. They recently recovered a package that an eBay’er sent me. The sender forgot to put BOTH a delivery or return address. Just the tracking barcode from the automated postal machine. USPS still found it in a giant undeliverable mail facility in GA.

Same here. I recall one letter sent to me where the person only wrote 2 of the 4 numbers in my address, the city and state were correct, but the zip code was a city in New Jersey. Not only did it get to me, but it got to me in what I'd consider usual time.

Some of the personnel in the retail part of USPS however...
33.gif

Since so many of you hate the Postal Service, can you recommend a better service that will deliver a piece of mail for under 50 cents to any point in the US?

They also hire and pay a huge number of American Citizens.
Decent wages for a job that is not easy.

I placed an order with RockAuto for brake pads Tuesday morning.
They were delivered the very next day.
By USPS.

I have watched UPS and Fed Ex delay deliveries multiple days for no reason at all, and I always seem to pay more for their slower service.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Since so many of you hate the Postal Service, can you recommend a better service that will deliver a piece of mail for under 50 cents to any point in the US?

They also hire and pay a huge number of American Citizens.
Decent wages for a job that is not easy.

I placed an order with RockAuto for brake pads Tuesday morning.
They were delivered the very next day.
By USPS.

I have watched UPS and Fed Ex delay deliveries multiple days for no reason at all, and I always seem to pay more for their slower service.

BC.
^ This ^ Maybe Bezos will come up with a better system to deliver a letter to every mailbox in the country 6 days a week for under 50 cents!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back