Year old oil in new car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had analysed a sample of engine oil from a car sitting outdoor for more than 10 years. The results show that the oil characteristics are still excellent.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4562503/Re:_Are_modern_engine_oils_tim#Post4562503

Originally Posted By: PimTac
That Mazda will have the Idemitsu Mazda Moly oil from Japan. I wouldn’t change it.

Great car.

What about the Hatch back Civics that are made in a UK, Swindon plant? Probably the Phillips 66 from CP. Oh wait, I just recalled, it might not matter since either way, it will come with loads and loads of moly and by that I mean 500+ PPM or there-abouts?

Last edited:
You're fine.

If you want something else to worry about it has probably idled a bunch to charge its battery and for other lot boy shenanigans. But so do most other new cars.

Originally Posted By: HondaBroMike
Originally Posted By: PimTac
That Mazda will have the Idemitsu Mazda Moly oil from Japan. I wouldn’t change it.

Great car.

What about the Hatch back Civics that are made in a UK, Swindon plant? Probably the Phillips 66 from CP. Oh wait, I just recalled, it might not matter since either way, it will come with loads and loads of moly and by that I mean 500+ PPM or there-abouts?

You are correct in that no matter what oil Honda uses for FF, it will end up with considerable Moly because the Moly isn’t coming from the oil. It’s being shed off the coating on the piston skirts. Honda started doing this on all engines, both 4’s and 6’s on MY 2011 cars.

Last edited:
For comparison; Mazda uses Idemitsu in Japan where most of their vehicles are assembled. (Hiroshima). In the US, Castrol is the recommended oil. In Europe, Total gets the nod. Do they all have the same formulation? Only a analysis will tell.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

The OLM in 13-16 Fusions (certainly applicable in other models as well - this is just the one I know of) will go down to 0% at 12 months no matter the mileage.

The OLM in the 2014-2018 Corvette is the same way. Owners are freaking out because many of them only drive a few hundred miles a year but they are seeing their OLM hit 0% on the one year mark.

I once bought a brand new 1995 Trans Am in January 1996 and found out the car had been built in September 1994, so I actually had the oil changed by the dealer right away. I didn't feel comfortable with the fact that the car had 250 test drive miles on it, and I bet the car had been started and shut off dozens of times as well, so I just felt better not running the original oil in it (and the dealer changed it for free anyhow) That car was a lot of trouble actually and I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that it sat on the lot for such a long period of time. I only had the car one week when the starter failed on it for instance.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
So, manufacturers and oil producers uniformly recommend that oil be changed after one year regardless of mileage. My daughter bought a 2017 Mazda CX-3 in September. The car was built in June of 2016. It now has 500 miles on it. Would you change the oil?

If it was me, I'd dump it at 1,000 miles. Run it a few more month (or however long it takes to rack up another 500 miles) to finish break-in and call it a day. I'm sure it's got plenty of metallic bits floating around that the 25 micron oil filter can't possibly catch and you should drain outta there sooner rather then later. It's like sand paper oil scratching the inside of the engine with every stroke.
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back