Wrecked my bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Unfortunately lots of motorcyclists get killed every year due to no fault of their own. That's a fact and only getting worse as more traffic on our roadways.

Actually, statistics show the death and injury rate on motorcycles hasnt changed much over the last few decades and even though there are ups and downs, the death rate is now the same as it was in the late 1970s and way more bikes and riders on the road now so the actual death rate per rider is lower to unchanged.

One interesting fact is the rate is 400 % higher if you drink and ride, so dont drink and statistics say you are 400% less likely to die.

Click - Source 1

Dont drink and ride, be safe and alert, buy a bike with ABS and you greatly increase your safety.

Another Source - 2

Last edited:
ABS worked against me in my 2017 crash. Off the tarmac and into a freshly laid gravel chat perimeter along the shoulder of a double yellow striped two laner at about 50mph. I think the rear brake not being ABS active might have allowed me to low side instead of high siding, but who knows.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
She rides quite safely (she's better than I am), but has no fear, of anything. I am honestly a little surprised she didn't follow the semi that got me until he stopped and take the driver apart with a knife.

She could have pulled over, checked you over, and said wait here for a bit.
wink.gif

By the time she stopped, she was well past me...she said she initially nailed the brakes, then pinned the throttle. She went as fast as she could to the first median crossover, took it, then pinned it to get back to where I crashed. Fortunately, there was another witness, who confirmed that yes, the semi ran me off the road, so my insurance reaming will be limited to them not actually paying for what they said they would.

She reports her 115,000+ mile Pacific Coast WILL still top 110MPH.

Fortunately, there was another witness, who confirmed that yes, the semi ran me off the road, so my insurance reaming will be limited to them not actually paying for what they said they would.

Small miracles are better than none!

Stuff can happen quickly.

Last summer I hit a guy on a bicycle. He turned left from the shoulder in front of me.

I was on Ducati with loud pipes and he had headphones on.

I locked up the brakes and was sideways in the opposite lane. (Lucky no oncoming traffic)

I hit him and his bicycle snapped in two.

He hit the forks and did not make contact with me, so I was able to save it.

Cops, Ambulance (for him) and Fire Trucks.

After giving a statement I was allowed to leave, so not sure if he got a ride in the Ambulance.

Ducati had a broken Windscreen and two scratches on right fork leg.

3 cars that witnessed the accident stopped, so the cyclist got a ticket, but still sued me.

As far as I know nothing came of it.

Ride Safe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lego
... so the cyclist got a ticket, but still sued me.

As far as I know nothing came of it.

Ride Safe.

Yup, he sued your insurance. Personal injury attorneys, formerly referred to as ambulance chasers, parse the local police accident reports for anyone injured and often will send out letters prospecting for cases to open against deep pockets... er... I mean ... insurance companies.

By the time she stopped, she was well past me...she said she initially nailed the brakes, then pinned the throttle. She went as fast as she could to the first median crossover, took it, then pinned it to get back to where I crashed. Fortunately, there was another witness, who confirmed that yes, the semi ran me off the road, so my insurance reaming will be limited to them not actually paying for what they said they would.

She reports her 115,000+ mile Pacific Coast WILL still top 110MPH.

The highest known mileage PC800 (Pacific coast) was 301K miles when it was taken out by cell phone using mini-van driver ...

Yes, they will top 110 and still be quiet - kinda spooky
laugh.gif

Now that the shop has actually checked over the bike, it is (unsurprisingly) totalled. Estimate to repair is over $10,000, including a bent fork.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Glad you and your wife ok. Sorry about the bike, not much consolation but it can be fixed or replaced if you choose. Your life and health are most important.

I think I'm done, and so is my wife.

I get it. I sold my last bike a few years ago basically because of this very thing. Not so much worried about myself and my skills but what some loony might do. That and my age, risk reward not worth it. Can't say I'm entirely over it though, but at this point unlikely another bike in my future.

Again, glad you and your wife ok.

Oh, I still want to ride, but have accepted I never will. I need to go to the DMV to get the M taken off my license, and need to get my wife off the bike any way I can. If necessary, her PC might simply vanish without a trace.

Jarlaxle, I agree with you! A truck runs you off the road and you crash going 80 mph, your wife goes to next place to turn around to get back to the scene of the accident and attains triple digit speed doing so. Wife had a motorcycle accident fairly recently.....so I agree, you both should turn in your M endorsements, then buy a Corvette.

Then you have to accept your wife will keep on riding her motorcycle.

I know a woman that her husband was killed by an elderly driver making a left hand turn and misjudged the distance of motorcycle.

Both of them would have killed if she was riding with him...

It sounds like the truck driver has the same sociopath mentality, as a guy that would advocate for stringing fishing line across a highway at neck height, because there is a certain group of Motorcyclists he wishes to kill...

Originally Posted By: 02SE
It sounds like the truck driver has the same sociopath mentality, as a guy that would advocate for stringing fishing line across a highway at neck height, because there is a certain group of Motorcyclists he wishes to kill...

There does seem to be some psychotic drivers that hate motorcyclists for some reason. Guess everyone needs some way to vent anger in life - but there are better ways than trying to kill somebody. If someone ran me off the road I'd be prosecuting them to the full extent of the law if possible.

I actually had an incident many years ago where someone in a big pickup truck tried running me off the road when I went to legally pass them. I ended up getting his license number and was able to track down the registered owner on-line, with a phone number. I called the guy and refreshed him memory about the incident, and told him that I was going to report it to the police. Boy, he apologized up and down like crazy, and I told him he's gonna kill someone someday and to knock that [censored] off!

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Then you have to accept your wife will keep on riding her motorcycle.

No, I do not.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: 02SE

There does seem to be some psychotic drivers that hate motorcyclists for some reason. Guess everyone needs some way to vent anger in life - but there are better ways than trying to kill somebody. If someone ran me off the road I'd be prosecuting them to the full extent of the law if possible.

I actually had an incident many years ago where someone in a big pickup truck tried running me off the road when I went to legally pass them. I ended up getting his license number and was able to track down the registered owner on-line, with a phone number. I called the guy and refreshed him memory about the incident, and told him that I was going to report it to the police. Boy, he apologized up and down like crazy, and I told him he's gonna kill someone someday and to knock that [censored] off!

No doubt there are unstable lunatics out there.

I was mostly commenting due to the irony of the OP posting this thread, when he has posted in the past advocating using the fishing line across the highway at neck level, to take out Motorcyclist's he doesn't care for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back