Put Deposit down on a New Bike today

I’ve been in the market for another bike to do some commuting as well as another cross country tour. Wanted something light for daily use yet powerful enough to do a 6k mile trip.

I took a trip across the U.S. on an XSR900 Naked bike (regrettably sold) in 2017 with my uncle and I’m aiming to do it again. This time with my younger brother at his request. I told him if he buys a bike I’d go with him rain or shine. He took his abate and bought a bike so it was time to keep my word and buy another bike.

I set my budget at $12k for a new and modern upright all rounder. I looked at and sat on the Vstrom 800DE, Honda Transalp, and the Triumph Tiger 660.

Ultimately I ended up throwing a leg over the KTM 790 ADV and it just “felt right”. Fast forward a couple of weeks of bargaining and I put a deposit down on a new 24 KTM 790 ADV.

I’ve never owned a KTM and I’m sure it isn’t Suzuki, Honda or Yamaha reliable, but it just felt the best to me. I almost bought a Vstrom anyway because of reliability, but my soul just wanted the KTM after sitting on it. It just “felt natural”

It also has the most power of the choices and should keep me entertained as my old XSR900 was no slouch.

KTM is offering 2 extra years of warranty for a total of a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty if you let a dealer do the 600mi service and one service per year at Manual specified intervals or 9300mi whichever comes first. I will definitely be doing one or two changes in between that time as I’ve heard the 10w50 Motorex used isn’t the best oil in regards to shear stability.

I pick the bike up on Thursday and I’m excited to get back on two wheels.

I will create an update post when I have it home.

Attached is a stock photo of the KTM and some from my previous cross country trip on the XSR

33EA4F88-0E97-426A-A8E5-7328E53F886A.jpeg

53C3EBC6-95AF-41AC-BF6E-AE43075B79C8.jpeg

01233C80-F972-4BFD-83D0-D094A8AE5A4B.jpeg

A8338CEA-F4FC-49DB-BA38-50A714F8A189.jpeg

Last edited:
The first pic looks like a ski jacket. 100 degree 10% humidity is a sauna. Around here it would be 90 degrees 50% humidity which is a steam bath. Either one seems pretty uncomfortable and exhausting.

Please keep us updated on how you like the bike, and how it holds up.

I've got a real hanker'n for a new lightweight twin like yours. My son has an MT-07, which I rode home for him on purchase (100 miles) and it was SO NICE!

Regarding the KTM 790, I've digested many reviews and ALL say the bike is awesome. On the other hand, I've also heard that a LOT of people have problems with them. In particular, they eat up their cams and rockers. I hope this information is incorrect, but for now, I've put them on my "I don't know" list...

Please keep us updated on how you like the bike, and how it holds up.

I've got a real hanker'n for a new lightweight twin like yours. My son has an MT-07, which I rode home for him on purchase (100 miles) and it was SO NICE!

Regarding the KTM 790, I've digested many reviews and ALL say the bike is awesome. On the other hand, I've also heard that a LOT of people have problems with them. In particular, they eat up their cams and rockers. I hope this information is incorrect, but for now, I've put them on my "I don't know" list...

I will!

My brother bought a new Suzuki GSX-8S and it’s a fantastic naked bike. Good power and very easy to ride.

I’ve read all the same. The 4 year warranty with unlimited mileage helped ease the “fear”.

That said I will not be letting the oil go 9300 miles in the sump of a high RPM bike motor with a wet clutch. That sounds like cam wear for sure. I’ll do 3k OCIs unless on a long trip like I have in the past.

I admit to having a short attention span but I've heard good things about KTM and no negatives so you may be very pleasantly surprised. Good luck. Safe travels.

Congrats on the bike!

Try a cool vest, soak/recharge with water at each stop. Evaporative cooling is amazing at keeping the core cool, which is the most important part to keep cool. Did a ride to the Texas Hill country 2 summers ago, air temps were 105+ for a week, cool vest is the ONLY way to ride in that heat. Otherwise, once air temp gets near body temp or higher, a rider is better off zipping up for the reasons shared in other posts.

Congrats on the bike!

Try a cool vest, soak/recharge with water at each stop. Evaporative cooling is amazing at keeping the core cool, which is the most important part to keep cool. Did a ride to the Texas Hill country 2 summers ago, air temps were 105+ for a week, cool vest is the ONLY way to ride in that heat. Otherwise, once air temp gets near body temp or higher, a rider is better off zipping up for the reasons shared in other posts.
On my last trip portions of Nevada and Utah were over 100F air temperature. The ride from Las Vegas to St. George was 117F air temp. It was like riding into a hair drier. Lots of water breaks!

The KTM 790 ADV is actually assembled by CF Moto. No worries as CF Moto is likely the most dependable of Chinese manufacturers. Enjoy!

I’ve been in the market for another bike to do some commuting as well as another cross country tour. Wanted something light for daily use yet powerful enough to do a 6k mile trip.

I took a trip across the U.S. on an XSR900 Naked bike (regrettably sold) in 2017 with my uncle and I’m aiming to do it again. This time with my younger brother at his request. I told him if he buys a bike I’d go with him rain or shine. He took his abate and bought a bike so it was time to keep my word and buy another bike.

I set my budget at $12k for a new and modern upright all rounder. I looked at and sat on the Vstrom 800DE, Honda Transalp, and the Triumph Tiger 660.

Ultimately I ended up throwing a leg over the KTM 790 ADV and it just “felt right”. Fast forward a couple of weeks of bargaining and I put a deposit down on a new 24 KTM 790 ADV.

I’ve never owned a KTM and I’m sure it isn’t Suzuki, Honda or Yamaha reliable, but it just felt the best to me. I almost bought a Vstrom anyway because of reliability, but my soul just wanted the KTM after sitting on it. It just “felt natural”

It also has the most power of the choices and should keep me entertained as my old XSR900 was no slouch.

KTM is offering 2 extra years of warranty for a total of a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty if you let a dealer do the 600mi service and one service per year at Manual specified intervals or 9300mi whichever comes first. I will definitely be doing one or two changes in between that time as I’ve heard the 10w50 Motorex used isn’t the best oil in regards to shear stability.

I pick the bike up on Thursday and I’m excited to get back on two wheels.

I will create an update post when I have it home.

Attached is a stock photo of the KTM and some from my previous cross country trip on the XSR

View attachment 219400

View attachment 219401

View attachment 219402

View attachment 219403
Great pictures! Congrats on the new ride. Friends who have had KTMs speak very highly of their reliability. I wouldn’t worry a bit.

Back