I bought another bike with 1/3 the cc

I have a problem staying out of motorcycle dealers showrooms these days. I been watching Euro online reviews of the new Triumph Speed 400 and this bike interest me for a garage mate to my BMW R1250 GSA. I have come to love the GSA but riding around on the big and heavy bike as a daily takes its toll sometimes. I was looking at a sub 500cc bike and I like the looks of the modern classics from Triumph and Royal Enfield. My local Triumph dealer received their first Speed 400 in late March and I went there to check it out. I can’t believe Triumph is selling this bike for $4995. The fit and finish is just like any other Triumph. These are made in India by the same company that makes the KTM/Husqvarna 390 bikes. I put a deposit down on a red one and it took about a month to arrive at the dealer.

IMG_5867.jpeg

I have a problem staying out of motorcycle dealers showrooms these days. I been watching Euro online reviews of the new Triumph Speed 400 and this bike interest me for a garage mate to my BMW R1250 GSA. I have come to love the GSA but riding around on the big and heavy bike as a daily takes its toll sometimes. I was looking at a sub 500cc bike and I like the looks of the modern classics from Triumph and Royal Enfield. My local Triumph dealer received their first Speed 400 in late March and I went there to check it out. I can’t believe Triumph is selling this bike for $4995. The fit and finish is just like any other Triumph. These are made in India by the same company that makes the KTM/Husqvarna 390 bikes. I put a deposit down on a red one and it took about a month to arrive at the dealer.

View attachment 215859
I with that it was a twin but they don't do that much anymore since singles are cheaper to produce but I like it. Have you taken it for a test ride?

Last edited:
Triumph designed it, Bajaj builds it. . I would imagine if it was assembled at the Triumph factory in Thailand like all the other Triumphs these days, it would probably cost close to $7K.

76 YO soon + considering NOT riding my motorcycles, 2019 triumph scram very lo miles + an 18 T120 with Alpina wheels, both have been good bikes + sooo much better than my 06 1200 porkster lo!!! always liked Triumphs!!

Nice looking bike and reasonably light weight too at 170KG. It's good to see a new mid range bike that will be fast enough for many and light enough for 70+ year olds to keep riding. In the UK the exact same bike is 25% more expensive. Not sure what we do to deserve that, perhaps some of it is tax.

I bought a new Suzuki GN400 single back in the 80's and kept it for 14 years. It was a great bike, lighter than all the 250 twins and much better low/mid range torque torque.

I installed a QuadLock on the bars, does that count? Triumph really screwed up this bikes debut. They shipped the bikes to the dealers but the dealers don’t have the accessories that go with it. They don’t even have the parts to do the oil change on it. The 400 needs 2 crush washers, 4 O-Rings, and a cartridge filter. So if the dealers are doing the 600 mile break in service, they don’t even have the parts to do it.

Back