Wpp and WPP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So im at a loss and im giving up searching. Could some one PLEASE help me understand the stamps on the bottom of the bottles!?

I know the big W with the little P's are Warren and distributed by Ashland (unless I am wrong there or have it backward), but what is the oval logo that has "WPP" in all caps and plain font? I'm trying to also figure out the difference between Valvoline products and why they don't have a single distributer or whatever, such as one bottle saying Ashland and another one being something else. Is this the only company doing this?

I have searched around here and seen mention of Warren Petroleum and Warren Performance which I am assuming is 2 different mixers? All their products are great and I have no Issue buying or using them, but when it comes to house brand products, this could get tricky if someone was worried about it.

WPP(Warren Performance Products)is a Nebraska based company. You can find more info here: WPP

Warren Oil/Warren-Unilube is a North Carolina company and is in no way connected to WPP. More info here: www.warrenoil.com

It could be that the WPP you see inside a circle/oval shape is a bottle made by WPP, they not only make their own oils but they are also a blender and bottler for others along with being a bottle maker.

Last edited:
So the famous Valvoline Wpp is both blended and bottled by Warren Performance Products not Warren Oil/Warren-Unilube, correct?

The bottom of the bottle on my 5 quart SuperTech full synthetic says L E E inside a giant Q with the number M4462 below it. No WPP to be found on it anywhere.

I just picked up a 5qt. jug of ST 5w-30 full syn. from WM on Thursday -- bottom has the Wpp logo on the bottom. However, I also grabbed a few quarts of the ST 75-140 gear oil at the same time, but the bottom of that bottle had the oval with WPP inside of it. Which lead me to searching and starting this thread.

I know it varies by region whether its a Warren (same as Valvoline??) or I think Mobil is the other. The markings aren't helping me figure it out lol. Hoping someone can shed some light on my darkness
smile.gif

It's an indirect correlation. If I know the difference between the two logos as mentioned in my subject, I would know what oil that jug is similar to - be it Mobil, Valvoline, or other. I was confused of the difference between the two Wpp logos and wanted to get myself straight.

Hope that makes sense. Been a long day.

The WPP logo stands for Warren Performance Packaging. While many of the products that end up in WPP containers are blended by Warren Distribution, either for their own brands or private labels, they also package lubricants for other companies. This is the Omaha, NE facility.
WNE refers to the Glen Dale, West Virgina facility, which operates in a similar capacity to the Nebraska facility.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The bottom of the bottle on my 5 quart SuperTech full synthetic says L E E inside a giant Q with the number M4462 below it. No WPP to be found on it anywhere.

Pretty sure LEE is Citgo, which is handling ST in some markets across the US now. I know in MN, LEE/Citgo is on the bottles now

Originally Posted By: salv
The WPP logo stands for Warren Performance Packaging. While many of the products that end up in WPP containers are blended by Warren Distribution, either for their own brands or private labels, they also package lubricants for other companies. This is the Omaha, NE facility.
WNE refers to the Glen Dale, West Virgina facility, which operates in a similar capacity to the Nebraska facility.

Thanks salv !

I see a mixture of those two in my local wally world store. I wondered what the difference was.

WPP is actually misleading when it comes to Warren. In 1971, Warren used the name "Warren Performance Products" to contract package antifreeze. WPP

As far as Valvoline/Ashland,if there is any connection between WPP and Valvoline/Ashland it would be WPP being a blender/packager/distributer for Valvoline.

Originally Posted By: motorguy222
WPP(Warren Performance Products)is a Nebraska based company. You can find more info here: WPP

Warren Oil/Warren-Unilube is a North Carolina company and is in no way connected to WPP. More info here: www.warrenoil.com

It could be that the WPP you see inside a circle/oval shape is a bottle made by WPP, they not only make their own oils but they are also a blender and bottler for others along with being a bottle maker.

ok. for anyone keeping score, Meijer oil, such as the one i'm currently using,are Warren-Unilube(per MSDS), label on back of Bottle says "Packaged By Warren Oil Company, inc., Dunn, NC 28334"

and the Bottles have a Stylized P on the Bottom, matching the Font of PlastiPack. a large maker of injection/blow Molded Plastic containers (soda bottles, all the P&G Liquid Laundry product bottles, gas cans, bottles for "Sweet Baby Ray's" Barbecue Sauce, etc)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mjk
Pretty sure LEE is Citgo, which is handling ST in some markets across the US now. I know in MN, LEE/Citgo is on the bottles now

What ? LEE is Citgo ?!!? Say it ain't so.
shocked2.gif

The bottle I have is shaped like this:

IMAG0387.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back