Echo CS-4010 Chainsaw

Just picked up an Echo CS-4010 to replace a CS-310 that wouldn't stop leaking oil. My dealer didn't want to sell it because they had some old ones but I told them I would buy this new one and not the old one. I got it home an oh man is this thing amazing. So much power, perfect balance and so light. It's 0.6lbs heavier than my CS-310 but it has about 45% more power and an 18 inch bar which my old one was a 14 inch. This thing is way better than I expected for the weight and price. It's a new model replacing the CS-400. I'm hoping this one lasts a long time. This is my 3rd chainsaw in 10 years

Just picked up an Echo CS-4010 to replace a CS-310 that wouldn't stop leaking oil. My dealer didn't want to sell it because they had some old ones but I told them I would buy this new one and not the old one. I got it home an oh man is this thing amazing. So much power, perfect balance and so light. It's 0.6lbs heavier than my CS-310 but it has about 45% more power and an 18 inch bar which my old one was a 14 inch. This thing is way better than I expected for the weight and price. It's a new model replacing the CS-400. I'm hoping this one lasts a long time. This is my 3rd chainsaw in 10 years
Make sure to run good oil in it and it will last years.

Nice saw. I have the cs590 which is a beast. 60% or 70% of the time I wish I had went a couple notches lighter.
(or buy another lighter saw to complement it)
but this year I've needed all of it.

I use 90 octane ethanol free with echo red armor.. although my next tank I switched to VP racing oil jaso FD.. due to getting 3 bottles on clearance.

This one was 24" by 30" where it broke.

AJFCJaVb2umzkFjodvT_DAQ9JTWD0LQoYO2d2i17_b5fEueA6WrDIyOYOrm-HrEzEiP3NCbQMG-DhDg8xGDGXjr6uB38DSrvLDAo12eL4BpIwcGuA6h1t8CJjV3HBNjM1dsLrrfOK_R8_TSzILdujvNQcrKO1NZuI52t4k4OfUCgoYZrEcjvx_VtEU0EFTpWjY4_y__uZzrikt7G0bKMqTuSItsF2Ttzh1VDwYkgyWxjf05qUsOFsZmIyT4FTKj9ZFtow-EElai8Aux6baCsxmajH9pABWqtdVRZRLWze5YEQclYOlXxXHPKFPdU2Z0265ubpaxh42SvW4pkFQiMO0cWthS92rbLbhSvHVMsNTpiB_QG4Uat_1wZqToUD3ldwnbaH9yPypiblbBAIXRwTo08_SdI9Uqxu4askWICa0lDI2p7S3M2xKni5MGru5XajnKD7s-yfEWBHP0eXCmVy8CxTbP6qEk6ViNkWgRHd5Hq4JVpmsIsi1A6FrPZBqTEnehfTPUemhDEnxxic2EgyvHOrzbCVwdBv4b9uV3Xfpr_hOpcV-zoIhy1WOBYv2GeIXbsYuJ5b6UUH6TYIsu6x-VOw-jvjyIo635USCfpEDxPJaVsEl37dzfsWZ0oHIE1LJtgXI0BFfpARohMWuUqhCsjyHyC_wEVQCssdJ-F2BsY9xaq44yi3VgceVvkNsMILRZfP-qoiUaROszHl8Ft5qIQY3zZzsQGbsS9b1xDm5XXcyC1UZH0V7l4s0Gx51ud0OfuCx4pACbAQxmlbX6aCglmLyJfGI2P5pHAQdAjWYopYIh4komdCr3KuuWYlgAPJJtO7zumWLXFUGDo4lwpjoCk4SA8U3xg_0Ll4izAI26I0KeCp9soQkVQsFHmK8SSumOk61kgtyIQY_4ROMnEroU7ZGU=w2117-h1587-s-no

I have the CS-490. Great saw. I've been a Stihl man my whole life but I needed a decent low-use saw for intermittent work. The price of the Echo is good. I'm impressed with it's performance. And it starts very well. I got it because I've had good luck with other recent Echo stuff; a blower and a weed trimmer. I also like the lifetime ignition system warranty.

Nice saw. I've got a CS-4910 which I've been enjoying. Father-in-law used mine and bought himself one just like it.

Random note I just saw that they've already replaced the fairly new model 4910 with a 4920 that has the same spec's but looks slightly different. I assume they did that to further differentiate the model from the nearly identical (was) but more expensive CS-501P

Edit: Looks like the 4920 is a clamshell design. Glad I got my 4910 when I did.

Last edited:
I bought a CS4510 for $150 CDN at a garage sale last year. The 93 year old obviously didn't use bar oil and didn't grease the
sprocket on the bar, so it siezed up.
I bought a new chain and soaked the bar in oil and got the sproket freed up. I doubt if the saw had more than a tank of gas run through it.
Other than the blackened bar, the saw looked brand new.

It's a keeper. I bought a new 20" 3/8 bar and chain for it, I'll just need to change the drive sproket.

If this is your 3rd saw in 10 years are you a heavy user or do your saws have issues? I managed to get over 10 years out of a $100 Poulan saw before buying my Stihl about 4 years ago.

As others have stated use good oil and ethanol free gas. I mix at 40:1 or 45:1. I’m not a huge fan of 50:1. I think that’s how I lost my Poulan. I put 10 gallons through it one weekend cutting an Elm up and I think that cooked it.

Keep your chain sharp and oiled well. Hopefully this saw lasts you a long time.

Just my $0.02

Yesterday, I managed to start my Echo CS345 after it had been sitting clean and empty for 14 years. I installed a 16” Oregon bar and chain, tapped the air filter clean, added 50:1 EtOH free gas/ Valvoline 2-stroke oil mix and some JD 10W-30 motor oil as the chain lube. After a bunch of tries, was able to fire it up. Just getting it ready again for some near future use.

Some issues: Need to get proper bar chain lube and replace the gas cap o-ring or entire cap; there is some fuel leakage. I also have an over oiling issue and resultant oil leakage that I need to look into. But real happy it fired up and is ready for use again.

Back