Would you run these? (Amsoil filters)

Amsoil finally answered my question about the date code (thank you, Pablo) and it turns out that these filters are made by Fram at their Greenville, Ohio, facility. Amsoil has made no effort to address the burrs and rolled metal issue. A month to figure out the date code of their own product is simply not acceptable to me. They likely don't want people knowing that Fram is making their filters so they're not going to be overly forthcoming with the data. As odd as it seems these filters cost $2.50 LESS than the Fram Endurance filters sold at WalMart.

EDIT: let it be known that my last e-mail conversation with the Amsoil representative did include the statement that my photo of the defective filter had been passed along to the correct department and that they are sure that someone will be reaching out to me shortly about the defective filter.

Last edited:
To preface, I could be trippin

There is a bit of rust on the baseplates on 2 ea15k51 filters I just received.

Should I worry about it?

They don’t look too bad but such an expensive filter shouldn’t have any rust. The inside looks fine. Both filters were made November of 2022.

I don’t recall ever seeing rust on any filter I’ve ever installed Amsoil or not.

Again, could be trippin

View attachment 177433View attachment 177434
Yes! they are going to be soaked in oil. What could be better.

Last month, WhipCityWrencher cut open the same application oil filter EA15K13. And yes, part Champ Labs, part Fram. The baseplate with protruding tread boss same as used on smaller Fram filters. On the inside is what looks to be OG Fram Ultra media, pink-ish two-layer wire backed media and all. However, it uses a louvered centertube with now most common Champ Labs dome bypass type design, with removable stamped spring and poppet bypass piece. And as you state, Champ Labs dome inking.

So, I think your conflagration assessment is correct, at least for this specific application. Especially, with the Fram OG Ultra media, seems unique. For obvious reasons I don't believe the media type will last.
That's a shame-if Amsoil could keep the 2 layer pink media I would use theirs, even if I had to pull slivers off the threads with needle nose pliers!

No you should get rid of them right away. Just pm me and I”ll tell you we’re to send them.😉

Back