Would you run these? (Amsoil filters)

I bought a half dozen Amsoil filters last month and noticed that they no longer fit my filter wrench. I wrote to Amsoil to ask about deciphering the date code because there is a note on their filter page that product produced after a certain date will not fit the former tooling.

Amsoil claimed the date code was invalid and asked that I send photos of a filter for them to send to their vendor. I sent photos and it was at that moment that I noticed a huge string of rolled metal hanging out of the outlet hole. I checked all of my filters and none of them look clean. This one is disturbing though. And for some odd reason it has been over 3 weeks since I asked Amsoil to decipher the date code and they can't figure it out. Something is bad wrong with that place it seems.

I have tried to support Amsoil this year by buying their product exclusively but I'm done. No help from their help desk, unacceptable workmanship on these filters, and after nearly a month I still have no answer on the date code I asked about.

EA15k13 a.JPG
EA15K b.JPG
EA15K d.jpg

I bought a half dozen Amsoil filters last month and noticed that they no longer fit my filter wrench. I wrote to Amsoil to ask about deciphering the date code because there is a note on their filter page that product produced after a certain date will not fit the former tooling.

Amsoil claimed the date code was invalid and asked that I send photos of a filter for them to send to their vendor. I sent photos and it was at that moment that I noticed a huge string of rolled metal hanging out of the outlet hole. I checked all of my filters and none of them look clean. This one is disturbing though. And for some odd reason it has been over 3 weeks since I asked Amsoil to decipher the date code and they can't figure it out. Something is bad wrong with that place it seems.

I have tried to support Amsoil this year by buying their product exclusively but I'm done. No help from their help desk, unacceptable workmanship on these filters, and after nearly a month I still have no answer on the date code I asked about.
Have you contacted your Dealer?

FowVay ... Any chance those are counterfeit filters? What source did you get them from? Dealer direct, or third party?

@FowVay They appear to be Champ made as usually. I'd contact Champ labs to ask about the date code. While they can be just as bad at times they may be able to find one to answer the question about the date.

Have you contacted your Dealer?
I don't really have a dealer. The man who signed me up as a preferred customer passed away. In wonderful Amsoil fashion, they assigned my account to someone in another state - Florida. They have never replied any of my e-mail messages.

I have had an inquiry in with Amsoil (specifically a lady in Regulatory Compliance) who recently asked that I send the base plate pictures. This is the same person who told me that the date code is invalid... until I sent her pictures of the filter. It's as if they don't have a clue about what they're selling. It was after I took the pictures to send to them that I noticed the huge straggler of rolled metal on the threads.

I only bought these filters because they were priced several dollars cheaper than the Royal Purple that I normally buy and even the Fram Endurance. RP and Fram Endurance are $12,99 for my application and these Amsoil EA15K13's were $10.xx.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know what resolves from this and if I ever learn how to decipher the date code I'll publish it here.

I don't really have a dealer. The man who signed me up as a preferred customer passed away. In wonderful Amsoil fashion, they assigned my account to someone in another state - Florida. They have never replied any of my e-mail messages.

I have had an inquiry in with Amsoil (specifically a lady in Regulatory Compliance) who recently asked that I send the base plate pictures. This is the same person who told me that the date code is invalid... until I sent her pictures of the filter. It's as if they don't have a clue about what they're selling. It was after I took the pictures to send to them that I noticed the huge straggler of rolled metal on the threads.

I only bought these filters because they were priced several dollars cheaper than the Royal Purple that I normally buy and even the Fram Endurance. RP and Fram Endurance are $12,99 for my application and these Amsoil EA15K13's were $10.xx.

Anyway, I'll let you guys know what resolves from this and if I ever learn how to decipher the date code I'll publish it here.
This lady - I will need a name, via PM - can be reported. Be ready to show more pics and documentation.

I have and can make things happen, even if I'm not your dealer. I can't get you a refund directly though.

That someone in FL is a/your dealer. Most likely the heir or someone who purchased the dealership. Terrible they won't reply to you. This should be reported as well. Does not matter a wit what state the dealer lives in.

As a general note. I hate the filter business. And contrary to popular belief, Amsoil does not inspect the filters 100%. Yes I sometimes use the filters and never had a problem, but Amsoil does change contract manufacturers and we have all seen sloppy product from all of them over the years. I would not lose sleep if Amsoil dropped standard oil filters like they did air filters, but I think they need to keep the contract open to get better by-pass filter prices.

This lady - I will need a name, via PM - can be reported. Be ready to show more pics and documentation.

I have and can make things happen, even if I'm not your dealer. I can't get you a refund directly though.

That someone in FL is a/your dealer. Most likely the heir or someone who purchased the dealership. Terrible they won't reply to you. This should be reported as well. Does not matter a wit what state the dealer lives in.

As a general note. I hate the filter business. And contrary to popular belief, Amsoil does not inspect the filters 100%. Yes I sometimes use the filters and never had a problem, but Amsoil does change contract manufacturers and we have all seen sloppy product from all of them over the years. I would not lose sleep if Amsoil dropped standard oil filters like they did air filters, but I think they need to keep the contract open to get better by-pass filter prices.
You are a very ethical person. That's nice of you.

Hmm a Fram baseplate with a champion top inking without the accustomed date.

Does it by chance have a date on the can above the baseplate crimp as on a Fram?

Seems like the conflagration of components continues.

I only buy Amsoil bypass filters. They are expensive but I run them for 4 clicks on the OLM.

I have a dwindling supply of NAPA Platinum filters.

I just looked at the price of the NAPA Platinum filter for my Ford PSD and it's $61.99.

Wowzer!!

Last edited:
I only buy Amsoil bypass filters. They are expensive but I run them for 4 clicks on the OLM.

I have a dwindling supply of NAPA Platinum filters.

I just looked at the price of the NAPA Platinum filter for my Ford PSD and it's $61.99.

Wowzer!!
And RockAuto has a ProTech for $2.49 for same vehicle. And yes the NAPA Platinum is almost certainly a better filter than the ProTech but unless it is made of real platinum it's not worth $61.99.

Hmm a Fram baseplate with a champion top inking without the accustomed date.

Does it by chance have a date on the can above the baseplate crimp as on a Fram?

Seems like the conflagration of components continues.
Last month, WhipCityWrencher cut open the same application oil filter EA15K13. And yes, part Champ Labs, part Fram. The baseplate with protruding tread boss same as used on smaller Fram filters. On the inside is what looks to be OG Fram Ultra media, pink-ish two-layer wire backed media and all. However, it uses a louvered centertube with now most common Champ Labs dome bypass type design, with removable stamped spring and poppet bypass piece. And as you state, Champ Labs dome inking.

So, I think your conflagration assessment is correct, at least for this specific application. Especially, with the Fram OG Ultra media, seems unique. For obvious reasons I don't believe the media type will last.

Back