Would you consider retiring to a different country?

As I approached retirement some 17 years ago, and having already visited over 40 countries, I opened my mind to the entire world for settling down. I briefly considered Malaysia because of the warm climate and low cost of living (seemed everyone I knew had a cook and a driver), but rejected it because it was too far away, I didn't speak the language, and the culture was too foreign for me.

I seriously considered Ireland after a dozen vacations there, and was attracted to the beautiful scenery and friendly English speaking people. I even looked at some land, but rejected Ireland because of the cool wet climate, high taxes, and liberal government.

Finally I decided that the good ol' USA had the greatest freedoms and best standard of living - the question was where? I eliminated the top third of the country because it was too cold for me, and the bottom third because it was too hot, humid, and buggy. Next I dropped the entire center of the country because it was too flat and had weather extremes, and then nixed the west coast because of the cost of living, taxes, and politics. That left the mid-Atlantic.

Finally I settled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Bought a house on a ridge a few miles outside a small, eclectic, one stoplight mountain town (Floyd) with some incredible views. Here I have moderate weather with four seasons, and the friendliest people I have ever met (I came from NJ). Established my large vegetable garden and installed a heated in-ground pool with a large patio and pavilion, and at 73 am happy as a clam. Even bought a cemetery plot here!

This is from my front porch.

View attachment 196609
I told my wife and family if I go before her I want my ashes scattered along with my dogs ashes (so far we are both still alive but our dogs time on this earth is very limited, this I know is our last Christmas with him according to his doctor) in the mountains. It maybe VA or most likely Western NC. We recently moved (retired) on the coast of NC

Chances are our daughter will be up your way in a home within a couple years or less, if her plans hold true. Small world.

Last edited:
I have no plans to move anywhere if I make it to retirement, so no. While I've been all over the US and some of Canada when I drove a truck, I still live in the county I was born.

I'd say if you don't have any particular ties to people or a place, go for it.

During one of my military trips to Thailand in the early 90s, I came across an American expat walking down the street with a beer bottle in his hand, being supported by two very young ladies who apparently knew him well. My guess was he was a retired military person who remained there after the Vietnam conflict. He looked about 58 going on 80.
For great food, friendly people and a low cost of living it would be hard to beat Thailand. Just stay away from the much younger multiples of females as it will prematurely age you.

Finally I settled in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwestern Virginia. Bought a house on a ridge a few miles outside a small, eclectic, one stoplight mountain town (Floyd) with some incredible views. Here I have moderate weather with four seasons, and the friendliest people I have ever met (I came from NJ). Established my large vegetable garden and installed a heated in-ground pool with a large patio and pavilion, and at 73 am happy as a clam. Even bought a cemetery plot here!

View attachment 196609
1704478822977.jpeg

Holy cow! Your front porch view reminds me of one of the DISH networks Dish Scape scenes:
1704478739148.jpeg

Ohio is beautiful. I have family that go back generations in neighboring Newport, Kentucky. The winters makes it undesirable-even worse than Utah winters-IMHO.
Ohio does offer a lot of natural beauty. A drive through the countryside in spring or autumn is full of gorgeous vistas and a quarter of the state is hilly and picturesque Appalachian vistas.
Kentucky is also quite pretty as is West Virginia.
Winter here seems endless and awful while summer, although it can have the humidity of a sauna is mostly quite nice.
There is also a lovely lake to the north offering good fishing and great sailing.
I guess I do like it here.
Maybe we wouldn't actually become expats, but I could see extended stays here and there, maybe snowbirding in some foreign land.

Spent years bouncing around in the military as well. I would move to Thailand, Costa Rica or Philippines in a heartbeat if my wife would let me.

I visit countries and love them. However flying home always happy to land at Logan (Boston)
1) hear people near arguing/fight but just having conversation
2) driving with aggressive folks out of Boston

And feeling how homie it is and comforting !

Part of the year, is the plan. I don't like the summers in Texas. We would probably be staying in Sao Paulo, Brazil, where my wife is from.

As I approached retirement some 17 years ago, and having already visited over 40 countries, I opened my mind to the entire world for settling down. I briefly considered Malaysia because of the warm climate and low cost of living (seemed everyone I knew had a cook and a driver), but rejected it because it was too far away, I didn't speak the language, and the culture was too foreign for me.

I seriously considered Ireland after a dozen vacations there, and was attracted to the beautiful scenery and friendly English speaking people. I even looked at some land, but rejected Ireland because of the cool wet climate, high taxes, and liberal government.

Finally I decided that the good ol' USA had the greatest freedoms and best standard of living - the question was where? I eliminated the top third of the country because it was too cold for me, and the bottom third because it was too hot, humid, and buggy. Next I dropped the entire center of the country because it was too flat and had weather extremes, and then nixed the west coast because of the cost of living, taxes, and politics. That left the mid-Atlantic.

View attachment 196609
I have relatives just outside Floyd. I have considered moving there. So beautiful there.

Back