Would you consider retiring to a different country?

Many countries are know for cheaper living then the U.S but still having a relatively same lifestyle. Would you ever consider moving to another country to live cheaper or better for the same $$?

Which country would you chose?

I would consider it but the wife not so much.

Many countries are know for cheaper living then the U.S but still having a relatively same lifestyle. Would you ever consider moving to another country to live cheaper or better for the same $$?

Consider- Yes. Actually move to another country no.

We live in the greatest country the world has ever seen. Flawed, imperfect, absolutely. But the US is our country, and this is where I will live and die.

Other countries seem to have the same lifestyle, but over time one typically discovers they are an "outsider".

Not full time, the US has so much to offer and family, friends, etc., but Wife and I have talked about renting in London for some time each year when we are working less. We both love the city (and I am generally NOT a city person) and have spent enough time there to be comfortable.

Southern Brazil would be the only serious consideration as well as most of Italy. They are really great places to live.............BUT...........

Most countries are about as free as the USA anymore with the exception of the 2nd. If I can't bring my guns, I'm not moving. Although WA is getting worse than some countries...........just saying.

Last edited:
I worked with a guy that had a house in Costa Rica awaiting him in retirement. Well, he claimed to have it. He was a bit of a pathological liar and a braggart. But he did know a lot about expat retirement. He extolled the virtues of expat retirement and maybe if I was single, more adventurous or had a more adventurous wife, in better health, and a little poorer I might consider it. But I can afford a modest retirement in the USA.

Same feelings as most above. Though we have family overseas and actually have a friend who moved to an almost jungle island of the Philippines and loves it and the people. With that said, our new move to the coast of North Carolina is like living a dream. We have everything we could want and more since we love the Ocean and all the activities, as well as entertainment in Wilmington and entire Myrtle Beach area for action.

Now, if you want to talk exotic but most likely too expensive for what I would want, including constant air travel back and forth to the states. The country would be Costa Rica, its looks just flat out beautiful, never been there but know the owner of an international custom builder, though I couldn't afford what they build. Also someone who used to live in my community growing up as friends moved there.

Honestly things are not as cheap as some think overseas compared to many really nice areas in the USA. But there are some gems out there. Im not exactly a world traveler. *LOL*

There are many legal, medical and logistical considerations, one of them is the land you live on and can you even own it being a foreigner. My FIL retired in the Philippines and is living the good life but had to do it through marriage but still needs us as an intermediate for "domestic" stuff. Its a fantasy for most but its possible.

Yes, but in the US I would likely change State.

No. Knocking on the door of age 68, friends and family are growing to be a higher priority to me. Michigan's Upper Peninsula is considered a separate country by some, so there might be that choice.
1704384071358.jpeg

Last edited:
Back