Would removing an oil filter hurt the gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CT8
Don't waste your time draining out the oil in the oil filter.

The last one I removed had the gasket stick and come out of the groove … it was a low mileage FU …
Damaged the can … RIP

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
If you go that far, why not just put on a new filter? I have been impressed enough with the Napa Proselect. Filtration not up there with Fram, but built solid. For under 4$, Id rather just put on a new filter. Or.. just leave the old filter on.

If you lived near a landfill, you wouldn't ask that question.

I use gun grease on my gaskets and no problems draining the old filter and reusing it again.

If you go through the trouble of removing it, why not just replace the filter? Makes no sense.

Any pain the gasket feels is when the filter is put on. There is no answer too many variables. Wondering when or if the gasket will fail is no way to live.
laugh.gif

I did an oil change on my recently acquired '08 G35 and when doing so, discovered it has the typical oil-cooler-gasket failure. The weather got cold so I wasn't able to replace that gasket for ~500 miles and having so few miles, I re-used the oil filter. It appears that the oil-cooler-gasket leak is resolved (fingers crossed) but I'm seeing very slight leaking from the oil-filter gasket. I snugged it up a bit more last night (it's a K&N with the 1" lug on it) and will monitor it. If the leak continues, I'll replace either the filter or do another oil change (will factor the mileage before I change the oil early).

Just put a new filter on.
There is no advantage to reusing a filter after it's been removed.
Man,the OCD on this place is getting out of hand.

I have reused filters from good engines,
to be installed on older less-maintained engines………

I have never had a gasket leak on any of them, not one single one.
Install It properly… & it Won’t be a problem

Originally Posted By: Dallas69

Wrong and wrong again!

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

Wrong and wrong again!

What's the advantage of re-using a used filter that's already been removed?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Wrong and wrong again!

Z06, you get the "One Filter, One OCI!" award!
grin.gif

I said "once it's been removed" ... I've ran a filter twice a few times (but don't remove and reinstall), and the total miles the filter was used wasn't more than it should have gone anyway.

Wrong and wrong again!

$$$$ savings and take your pick of either recycling energy used or landfill space needed to accommodate.
There's also a 3rd wrong again....... that filter you;re taking off is probably only 25-33% used-up. What a waste!

I said "once it's been removed" ... I've ran a filter twice a few times (but don't remove and reinstall), and the total miles the filter was used wasn't more than it should have gone anyway.

You've just had your "One Filter, One OCI!" medal ripped from your chest!
grin.gif

I use the oil filter for two OCI and when I change the oil I loosen the oil filter. This allows some more oil to drain, lubes the gasket and reseats the gasket so the filter is not difficult to remove next time.

I've also removed the filter a few times, then took the oil filter adapter off for gauge sender installs then put the old filter back on with no problems.

It would have to be tested like in the Motorcraft/Fram lab filter burst test. The gasket fails first in those videos. Personally I wouldn't tinker with gaskets and hope all is OK. The rubber takes a set, does compressing again further reseal it the same? I don't think it does, but it may do for normal oil pressure. Sometimes over tightened gaskets start to bulge and the seal actually weakens.

Originally Posted By: paulri
What I really want to know is if doing this would hurt the oil filter gasket’s ability to seal, if I wanted to drain the oil out, before putting that same filter back onto the engine block.

I'd rather not leave 6-plus ounces of oil in my filters (which would be the case if I were to drain the oil, but leave the filter on), but I'm thinking about draining the oil out of the filter, and then re-using it. However, I'd sure as heck hate to splatter oil gradually over 50-100 miles because of a leaking gasket.

I’m not apposed to re-using a filter, but going through the mess of removing a filter, then putting it back on does not make sense to me. My vehicle take 6 quarts. . There are 32 oz in a quart. 6 x 32 is 192 oz. The 6 oz represent 3 % of the oil. This is going to affect the longevity of my engine?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back